F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Help needed - extended warranty and maintenance for 2017 430i CPO
Studio RSR

03-12-2019, 01:24 AM   #1
shammieq
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 430i GC (2017)

Help needed - extended warranty and maintenance for 2017 430i CPO

Hello all!

I'm new to this forum and hope to get some opinion from you guys.

I just bought the 2017 430i CPO over the weekend. Retired loaner with 23.5k miles on the car. ~2 years of factory warranty left + 1 year of CPO.
My 2nd BMW!! I had the 2016 328i which I had to return - only 22.5k miles over 3 year lease. So, i'm generally a low-mileage driver.

Could I get your opinion on whether I should get the below. Are they worth it? I've signed up for now, but I believe i have 30 days to cancel them.

1) extended warranty. 9 years from in-service date (i.e. 7 years from now) or 100k miles for $3.5k. This is the Easy Care Vehicle Service Contract, Stated Care program. I do know that BMW repairs are expensive, but would this cover what I need? or would the breakdown comes after the warranty ends? do you guys usually bring the car back to BMW for repair, or use your own repair shop for repairs?

2) maintenance package (BMW MPU). 5 years from now, or 75k for $2.7k.
The finance guy said that I'll probably need to change my brake pads twice in the next 5 years, on average 30k, which will pay for themselves - citing the performance brake pads for 430i which are thinner and need more frequent change. Is this true? I have this nagging feeling in me that he's way exaggerating about the 30k.

I do know that these protection plan drives the commission of the sales and finance persons, so they would be pushing for it. I've asked my friends who don't drive BMW, and they all advised to reject the protection.

I'm leaning towards cancelling both but would like to get your opinions!

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 02:22 AM   #2
BMWinAZ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i, ‘08 328i, ‘03 316ti

Garage List
Congrats to your new BMW!

1) The extended warranty seems worthwhile and should provide peace of mind. So you have two years of factory left plus the one year CPO, plus another four years of whatever is covered under that extended warranty. In my experience, most repairs will probably pop up during those last four years. Don't know if it will be 3.5k of repairs, but it easily could be. Again, depends what's covered.
Also, I assume that the extended warranty would cover repairs done at an independent shop. I personally prefer an experienced independent shop to the dealership for maintenance and repairs on older BMWs. In my experience they do better work at a fairer price.

2) Maintenance contract is absolutely NOT worth it. You can get most of that work done at an independent shop for much less or do a lot of it yourself for even less.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 02:57 AM   #3
shammieq
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 430i GC (2017)

Thanks!

How much does it typically cost for minor and major maintenance? Because my previous BMW was leased, I just sent the car back to the dealership for maintenance without knowing how much it actually cost.

The extended warranty seemed to be pretty comprehensive, covering Engine , Transmission, Drive Axle, Seals & Gasket, Taxes and Fluids, certain AC parts, heating, fuel system, cooling system, certain parts of braking system, certain suspension, certain steering, and others. the details are here: https://easycare.com/vehicle-service-contracts/
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 04:09 PM   #4
BMWinAZ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i, ‘08 328i, ‘03 316ti

Garage List
That extended warranty looks pretty good. It covers items that could very reasonably come up for repair within its duration. The price is reasonable for that length of time and the fairly comprehensive nature.
I haven't had my f30 long enough for many repairs to come up (2013 335i with 35k miles that I bought a year ago at 29k miles). But my wife's e90 is now 11 years old and has almost 80k miles. We had a similar warranty on it the first 3 years after factory warranty ran out. It was great peace of mind but we didn't get all of our money „back".
I always take our cars to the same BMW/Mini Indy for all non-factory warranty repairs and maintenance. Brakes for the e90 run about $450 for front or back, brake fluid is around $120, same for coolant, window regulator is about $350 to 400, fuel sender unit and fuel pump were around $1000 combined, all this is always parts and labor.
Engine and cabin air filters I DIY, same for oil changes (about $70 for materials), my Indy charges about $100 for an oil change. I have also replaced a bad oxygen sensor on our Mini Clubman ($90 for OEM part) and replaced the spark plugs on the e90.
It will greatly improve longevity and reliability of your car to plan on oil changes every 7.5k miles or once a year, replace coolant every 3 to 4 years, and replace the automatic transmission fluid between 40 to 50k miles (expensive even at an Indy around $700, but worth it).
Appreciate 0