F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > For those who use Millers Eco Max
Studio RSR

03-09-2019, 05:36 AM   #1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XD

For those who use Millers Eco Max

Especially those who use it by the 5L can, i discovered the 500ml dispenser is not refillable and any other attempt I made to put it in a container, went a little awry.

A quick google and this turned up -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1L-Natura...72.m2749.l2649

Arrived today and works spot on, A longer spout would be helpful, (fnar missus) but I thought I would share.

I called Millers and confirmed that it needs to be HDPE which this is so it shouldn't dissolve the container in the boot, its slightly over doses but not enough that it will make any particular odds.

Hope this helps someone else.

Ps. Im not opening the debate about Millers or not, my experience is it is worth it.

Cheers

Alex
Soul_Glo13347.00
      03-09-2019, 07:18 AM   #2
Eddamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 430dX

Some more advice from me...

The raw ingredient in Millers that improves Cetane is the chemical 2-EHN - you can see this is mixed with 'filler' in Millers on the technical datasheet.

You can buy the pure stuff off Ebay. Buying in bulk and accounting for the purity, it works out at about 1/6 the price of Millers! I just mix a dose with diesel or whatever before dropping it in the tank. Just grab a few 100ml safety bottles and keep them in the boot bin.

Edit: make sure you use nitrile gloves when handling. Its very hard to wash off your hands.

This is what i get: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hydra-Fue...EAAOSwqu1avw~L

Last edited by Eddamoo; 03-09-2019 at 07:23 AM..
Appreciate 1
TiredGeek360.50
      03-09-2019, 07:54 AM   #3
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
@Eddamoo what's the petrol version of this?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 10:03 AM   #4
seenthelight!
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw 435d f32 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddamoo View Post

The raw ingredient in Millers that improves Cetane is the chemical 2-EHN - you can see this is mixed with 'filler' in Millers on the technical datasheet.

You can buy the pure stuff off Ebay. Buying in bulk and accounting for the purity, it works out at about 1/6 the price of Millers! I just mix a dose with diesel or whatever before dropping it in the tank. Just grab a few 100ml safety bottles and keep them in the boot bin.

Edit: make sure you use nitrile gloves when handling. Its very hard to wash off your hands.

can you please give more details, ie a review of what the difference/benefit is in adding makes as opposed to 'raw untreated diesel'
thanks
      03-09-2019, 10:38 AM   #5
NanasBack
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: EB 335 oil burner

That’s one ingredient.
What else is added to clean injectors and stop build up of crap?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 11:35 AM   #6
Eddamoo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanasBack View Post
That’s one ingredient.
What else is added to clean injectors and stop build up of crap?
Nothing from what I remember. I'm pretty certain the data sheet only mentions paraffin. That is a little less viscous than diesel so may help cleaning, but in the tiny amounts of Miller's, not a chance!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 11:39 AM   #7
Eddamoo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seenthelight! View Post
can you please give more details, ie a review of what the difference/benefit is in adding makes as opposed to 'raw untreated diesel'
thanks
Just watch some YouTube videos of the benefits of increased Diesel Cetane. It basically accelerates ignition, meaning the injection can be done closer to TDC. The later ignition has a similar effect of higher octane petrol, with possibly increased power and efficiency.

It certainly reduced diesel clatter and soot on all my diesel cars since 2005
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 02:49 PM   #8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XD

Quote:
Just watch some YouTube videos of the benefits of increased Diesel Cetane. It basically accelerates ignition, meaning the injection can be done closer to TDC. The later ignition has a similar effect of higher octane petrol, with possibly increased power and efficiency.

It certainly reduced diesel clatter and soot on all my diesel cars since 2005
I'd agree with this, The 335 runs a lot better with it so did the superb to be fair.

Interesting to know the main ingredient can be purchased separately -

Do you reckon any of the other ingredients help suspend the mix in the diesel?
      03-09-2019, 06:02 PM   #9
Eddamoo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454697819 View Post
I'd agree with this, The 335 runs a lot better with it so did the superb to be fair.

Interesting to know the main ingredient can be purchased separately -

Do you reckon any of the other ingredients help suspend the mix in the diesel?
Nope definitely not. A quick swirl in a bottle and the mixture doesn't separate at all, it becomes fully suspended.

Here's the Wynn's equivalent MSDS. As you can see, a little 2EHN, loads of Kerosene and a few solvents. http://www.wynnoil.co.uk/wp-content/...-3_EN_MSDS.pdf

Last edited by Eddamoo; 03-09-2019 at 06:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 03:21 AM   #10
TiredGeek
Old Fart
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335dx F31 Shadow EB

Thanks for that, I always wondered if the Millers was basically just one active ingredient with a carrier oil.
I think "Millers" is worth adding, in my previous car (Volvo D5) I didn't start using it until around 70k miles but after 10k or so I noticed that I was getting better mpg than previously, and that the DPF was asking for fewer regens. When I sold it at 125k it was doing around 6mpg better and the intake manifold was far less sooty than other cars of the same age and mileage.
Now I know it's just due to better combustion leading to lower soot levels I'm switching when my Millers supply is gone

OK, plastic or metal bottles?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLASTIC-S...53.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2Pcs-Safe...53.m1438.l2649
      03-10-2019, 03:27 PM   #11
Eddamoo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredGeek View Post
Thanks for that, I always wondered if the Millers was basically just one active ingredient with a carrier oil.
I think "Millers" is worth adding, in my previous car (Volvo D5) I didn't start using it until around 70k miles but after 10k or so I noticed that I was getting better mpg than previously, and that the DPF was asking for fewer regens. When I sold it at 125k it was doing around 6mpg better and the intake manifold was far less sooty than other cars of the same age and mileage.
Now I know it's just due to better combustion leading to lower soot levels I'm switching when my Millers supply is gone

OK, plastic or metal bottles?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLASTIC-S...53.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2Pcs-Safe...53.m1438.l2649
Yeah id go 100ml plastic like: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plastic-B...OenXfp2eHAJR8w

They should fit a nice 1:1 or 2:1 mix of 2EHNiesel. I live near a filling station so dump in a plastic bottle full before leaving home.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 04:39 AM   #12
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

Quote:
A faster burn would be the same as advancing the ignition (earlier), not retarding it (later). When tuning for peak power you advance ignition up to the point where torque levels off, then stop.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 05:29 PM   #13
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335XD

Quote:

This ^^^, as the man says.

Millers eco max is just that, 2 EHN but double the price.

2-ethylhexyl nitrate (2-EHN) is now the main ingredient in todays diesel fuels for cetane increment since the removal of sulfur, which used to be the cetane booster back in the day.

My friend actually works in the refinery and he told me that they use 2EHN as boosting agent to bring the cetane numbers up, and for example when you buy BP Ultimate or Shell V-Power, basically you're buying the same fuel but with a higher does of 2-EHN to bump up the cetane numbers..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 06:03 AM   #14
Eddamoo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan View Post
A faster burn would be the same as advancing the ignition (earlier), not retarding it (later). When tuning for peak power you advance ignition up to the point where torque levels off, then stop.
I don't get you. Increasing cetane allows for a retardation in timing.

Tuning for power is different to modifying a static tune. If you perform a tune for more power, you're adding more fuel and therefore needing more time to burn it. That's the only reason why you'd advance the ignition. We're not talking about that in this thread however.
Appreciate 0