F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Is SPORT mode more efficient than COMFORT? 35d Motorway Driving
GetBMWParts

03-08-2019, 01:32 AM   #1
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Is SPORT mode more efficient than COMFORT? 35d Motorway Driving

Is it me or is sport more efficient than comfort on a long motorway run?

Last week I thought I would try out SPORT (stick left) all week. 43-46 mpg. Comfort usually nets 36-38 mpg.

Eco Pro. What's that? That has been around 41-42 mpg but with cruise locked on 70 mph. Sorry to annoy anyone on the M4. I do try keep left though.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 01:44 AM   #2
330XDave
Major
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive Touring

I very much doubt it myself. Not sure how it can be when the engine is constantly running at 500rpm+ more than Comfort mode.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 01:59 AM   #3
ian332isport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Shadow Edition

I had an e46 330d with 6 speed manual before my F31, and that was much more economical in 5th unless you were doing 85+.

At 70 in 6th, you had to give it more throttle to maintain speed. In 5th, you could just feather the throttle, and you could see the difference on the economy gauge. I find similar is true in the F31.

It’s not all about revs. Throttle input is also important.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13347.00
      03-08-2019, 02:09 AM   #4
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

I dunno Dave. My theory is that in comfort if you slow down or have to overtake you have to give it a bit of gas. With sport as you're revving high already it doesn't take as long to get back to up to speed. I sat there at 70mph with the gear in S8 and it was reading 40-50 mpg most way on the dial.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 02:15 AM   #5
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
I did a 110 mile trip last weekend and the average mpg went up from 40.1 to 40.2. This was doing roughly 80 for most of that and in Comfort mode.

On the return trip I stuck it in EcoPro, no cruise control and stuck to 70. Average mpg went up to 40.3.

Obviously it would have been better to reset the long term average before each trip to get a more reliable figure for that particular trip. Since it's a regular journey I do I might try the same in Sport as well.
      03-08-2019, 02:37 AM   #6
GEP77
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3 Long Range.

Doing any of these mpg tests over short distances is pretty meaningless to be honest. There are just too many variables that you aren't taking into consideration when performing them.

In reality there is likely to be a small difference between the two modes, ECO PRO has one very big advantage over both sport and comfort and that is the coasting feature, on long motorway runs it is amazing to see how much time the engine is doing pretty much nothing other than powering the stereo!

Driving style and traffic conditions have a lot more impact on economy though than driving modes. Someone who drives smoothly without large throttle and brake inputs will always use less fuel than someone who drives aggressively regardless of what driving mode you are in.
Appreciate 2
Soul_Glo13347.00
      03-08-2019, 03:32 AM   #7
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsea_Tractor View Post
I dunno Dave. My theory is that in comfort if you slow down or have to overtake you have to give it a bit of gas. With sport as you're revving high already it doesn't take as long to get back to up to speed. I sat there at 70mph with the gear in S8 and it was reading 40-50 mpg most way on the dial.
At a steady 70mph my car would be showing a fuel economy figure in the low 50s in Comfort mode, so the fuel economy you were seeing suggests that Sport uses more fuel, as you might expect given the higher revs.

The 35d engine has enough low end shove that it hardly ever needs to change down on the motorway in my experience

What car do you have? You recently mentioned your 320d and your profile says X5M.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 03:39 AM   #8
doncarlyon
Captain
Rep
Drives: Megane RS 300 Trophy

Mine proved to lose quite a few mpg by using sports auto. That is a 20d tho....

It feels better in sports auto tho, normal mode is up and down the gears too much for my liking.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 03:49 AM   #9
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

I only ever drive in sport or sport+ (But not stick left unless I want it) the other modes aren’t worth bothering with for the sake of 1-2mpg.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 04:05 AM   #10
dangerous_al
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i G01 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishbosh View Post
Obviously it would have been better to reset the long term average before each trip to get a more reliable figure for that particular trip. Since it's a regular journey I do I might try the same in Sport as well.
There are two mpg calculations, there is the one that shows in the dash and then there is the trip one in idrive. You can check the box to automatically reset the trip computer after each journey, it does not affect the figures that show in the dash. That way you have a more reliable average for the journey and I then reset the mpg in the main one each time I fill up so I can see what mpg I get to each tank which varies wildly depending on the type of driving (town or motorway)

I also have the trip computer on one of the memory buttons so I can get straight to it without going through idrive

Last edited by dangerous_al; 03-08-2019 at 04:13 AM..
Appreciate 1
bishbosh839.50
      03-08-2019, 04:10 AM   #11
Consett Mag
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
I only ever drive in sport or sport+ (But not stick left unless I want it) the other modes aren’t worth bothering with for the sake of 1-2mpg.
I'm only guessing but I'd think that there'd be a little more than 1-2mpg between eco mode and a sport mode. But I take your point.

It's clear the eco mode isn't everyone's choice, even for a moment.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 04:35 AM   #12
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330XDave View Post
I very much doubt it myself. Not sure how it can be when the engine is constantly running at 500rpm+ more than Comfort mode.
That isn't what happens though.

I think the OP is talking the cars modes, i.e. eco pro, comfort, sport or sport plus, not the pushing of the gearbox to the left and holding onto gears longer and removing the option of 8th.

I switch my 440i from comfort to sport as soon as I get in the car every single trip. I hate the throttle delay in the other modes. I'm quite happy to control the throttle with my foot, don't need a computer to do it for me.

I drove from Chesterfield to Hastings and back this week on one tank of fuel, 485 miles, all in Sport mode and the majority in 8th gear. But not gearbox in Sport. I set cruise on motorway, so revs are same in any mode. But, in Sport if I have to slow down, it accelerates back to speed much much quicker when I reset cruise, which I'm told is just as economical, if not more so, than a slow return to speed.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 04:41 AM   #13
330XDave
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
That isn't what happens though.

I think the OP is talking the cars modes, i.e. eco pro, comfort, sport or sport plus, not the pushing of the gearbox to the left and holding onto gears longer and removing the option of 8th.

I switch my 440i from comfort to sport as soon as I get in the car every single trip. I hate the throttle delay in the other modes. I'm quite happy to control the throttle with my foot, don't need a computer to do it for me.

I drove from Chesterfield to Hastings and back this week on one tank of fuel, 485 miles, all in Sport mode and the majority in 8th gear. But not gearbox in Sport. I set cruise on motorway, so revs are same in any mode. But, in Sport if I have to slow down, it accelerates back to speed much much quicker when I reset cruise, which I'm told is just as economical, if not more so, than a slow return to speed.
I'm pretty sure my gearbox changes even when in Sport mode and gear stick to the right though? It definitely hold on to gears for longer without a doubt.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 04:44 AM   #14
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Your gearbox must have a different map to mine - the ZF AT in my 2012 30D won't stay in 8th in Sport mode.

I think there's a trade-off between the higher revs in Sport mode due to the 'box generally being 1 or 2 ratios lower than it would be in Comfort mode, versus more clutch lock-up rather than more use of the torque converter in Comfort.

I tend to see a reduction in mpg in Sport, not only due to my driving style (Sport/Sport+ for pushing-on), but couldn't put a precise figure on it as I don't tend to stay in one gearbox mode for the entire journey (especially long runs).
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 04:49 AM   #15
330XDave
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Your gearbox must have a different map to mine - the ZF AT in my 2012 30D won't stay in 8th in Sport mode.

I think there's a trade-off between the higher revs in Sport mode due to the 'box generally being 1 or 2 ratios lower than it would be in Comfort mode, versus more clutch lock-up rather than more use of the torque converter in Comfort.

I tend to see a reduction in mpg in Sport, not only due to my driving style (Sport/Sport+ for pushing-on), but couldn't put a precise figure on it as I don't tend to stay in one gearbox mode for the entire journey (especially long runs).
Could be the diesel gearbox map is different to the petrol one Watsey as my 30d is the same as yours. Either that or it is different post facelift.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 04:52 AM   #16
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the newer second generation of the gearbox that came out mid 2014 can stay in 8th gear in Sport mode, but the first gen doesnt.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13347.00
      03-08-2019, 04:53 AM   #17
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the newer second generation of the gearbox that came out mid 2014 can stay in 8th gear in Sport mode, but the first gen doesnt.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 05:22 AM   #18
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
You must be right, mine definitely stays in 8th. In fact, it only holds onto gears longer if I'm pressing on. Driving normally it's just the same as any other mode, but with a throttle I control.

Think I've heard the same before about older cars not doing it.

It would ruin the whole car for me if I had to choose between a delayed throttle response, or economy. It seems in the newer version it makes more sense, that you can have both, no real compromise.

The ZF was set the same in my Audi biturbo and in our Q7 now. I could/can drive permanently in dynamic to ensure I have good throttle response, but it still cruises in the same gear and the same rpm on a run.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 05:38 AM   #19
330XDave
Major
Rep

My car is March 2015 so should have updated gearbox. I'm going out soon so I'll have a fiddle about to see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 06:30 AM   #20
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Interesting comments.

Seems we can be talking about different sport settings. If we are in sport mode but still using the comfort gearbox map, there can't be any difference in economy, as gear changes will be identical. Any variation on the same gearbox map, will be throttle use. If we accelerate at the same rate, whatever throttle mapping we are using, (even Eco-Pro) economy will be the same.

Once we use M/S or sport gearbox mapping we will blunt economy in the same driving conditions, simply due to higher revs, which add friction and pumping losses. Hence the expression "Gear Up and Throttle Down".

Checking figures on the OBC on the odd run is a bit futile, as there are too many variables. Properly conducted tests (repeatable) show highest gear, lowest revs (when cruising) is most economical. Never seen a test result where it is the other way around.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13347.00
      03-08-2019, 06:34 AM   #21
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Think I've heard the same before about older cars not doing it.
Yes, older build ZF 8HP locked out 8th gear in Sport mode. Same as the older ZF 5HP & 6HP boxes locked out the top gear in the Sport programming.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 06:51 AM   #22
330XDave
Major
Rep

Ok so after a quick drive it appears one persons Sport setting can be very different to another persons Sport setting. If you have "drivetrain" selected for Sport in the driving mode settings then the gearbox will go in to Sport mode. If you don't then it will remain the same but with a sharp throttle response. I think this is where the confusion arises from, some people will have "drivetrain" selected in Sport mode and others won't.

It probably didn't help that most of the time I bypass Sport and just go straight to Sport+ as the lower level of traction control in this mode makes less difference in 4wd, and in Sport+ the gearbox changes regardless of the settings.
Appreciate 0