BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board    American express question

07-25-2008, 11:38 PM   #1
RRGOO7
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GTR

American express question

Right know I have a citi card visa...the rewards are terrible. I'm looking into getting an American express gold card. For those who have it do you get a mile every dollar you spend? I'm looking to use the points on the card to upgrade to first class.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 04:45 AM   #2
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

https://www143.americanexpress.com/c...ARDS/144/1/0/0

seems like you just get points that you redeem for travel, entertainment or other things just like any other reward card.
      07-26-2008, 08:22 AM   #3
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

How long have you had a credit card for? Good luck trying to get approved from Amex, especially the Gold card. If your credit history is limited/new than your chances of getting approved for that card are very unlikely.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 09:55 AM   #4
mnkybiznes
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08/JB/E92

Garage List
2008 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRGOO7 View Post
Right know I have a citi card visa...the rewards are terrible. I'm looking into getting an American express gold card. For those who have it do you get a mile every dollar you spend? I'm looking to use the points on the card to upgrade to first class.
I have a AmEx Delta Platinum card that is specifically designed for what you're wanting to do. Each year you are given a free companion ticket whether you purchase a ticket or not. By the way, these cards are VERY easy to get approval for.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 11:01 AM   #5
RRGOO7
Colonel
Rep

Ive had a credit card for probably 3 months...all in good standing.....two gas cards for four months in good standing as well.....Amex is only limited to delta right?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 11:37 AM   #6
mnkybiznes
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08/JB/E92

Garage List
2008 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRGOO7 View Post
Ive had a credit card for probably 3 months...all in good standing.....two gas cards for four months in good standing as well.....Amex is only limited to delta right?
I believe they're affiliated with other airlines (Jet Blue & Delta) ........ these are the only 2 that I'm sure of.

AmEx Blue also allows for points accumulated to be used for travel. Check out the link, http://www.membershiprewards.com/cat...igibility.aspx , as it will show all the cards labeled as their "membership rewards" cards.

An FYI......... you will need atleast 6 months of positive credit history with no lates/collections/judgements etc .... before being considered for a card.

The Delta Gold card is fairly easy to secure and has NO annual fee. The Delta Platinum has a $75 annual fee with a few perks. Not really worth the cost unless you travel extensively.

The good news? Once you're in with AmEx it's very easy to be approved for other cards.

My favorite service associated with AmEx is the fact that insurance is automatically covered when renting a vehicle using an AmEx card.

No, I am not employed by AmEx ......... just try to stay educated with regard to my options.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 05:23 PM   #7
RRGOO7
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkybiznes View Post
I believe they're affiliated with other airlines (Jet Blue & Delta) ........ these are the only 2 that I'm sure of.

AmEx Blue also allows for points accumulated to be used for travel. Check out the link, http://www.membershiprewards.com/cat...igibility.aspx , as it will show all the cards labeled as their "membership rewards" cards.

An FYI......... you will need atleast 6 months of positive credit history with no lates/collections/judgements etc .... before being considered for a card.

The Delta Gold card is fairly easy to secure and has NO annual fee. The Delta Platinum has a $75 annual fee with a few perks. Not really worth the cost unless you travel extensively.

The good news? Once you're in with AmEx it's very easy to be approved for other cards.

My favorite service associated with AmEx is the fact that insurance is automatically covered when renting a vehicle using an AmEx card.

No, I am not employed by AmEx ......... just try to stay educated with regard to my options.

Thanks for all the info...really appreciate it
Appreciate 0