BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Question - Adjustable ride height

03-06-2019, 10:15 AM   #1
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Question - Adjustable ride height

I'm having problems figuring out what feature, option, or package gives adjustable ride height, the switch lever to the bottom right of the iDrive. I think I'd like to have this feature for medical reasons (which is one of the reasons why I'm looking at the X7). As I get older, it's harder for me to get in and out of a car that is either too low, or too high. The X7 is a good starting height, to swing my legs out and exit to a standing position, without having to climb down, or push up off my legs from a squatting position.

Anyway--what is it that adds the adjustable height? Is it 2VR, the 2-axle air suspension? That feature seems to be standard for all X7's. I think it's the ZOR Off-road package, but I can't find that information anywhere. If so, according to the configurator (at least in the USA) it seems you can't get both the off-road package and M-sport, which is something else I'd want, mostly for aesthetic reasons.

Some videos seem to imply that NO, not all X7's have the adjustable height.

The one X7 I saw was a non-USA configuration, and it was in fact an M-sport and had the adjustable suspension height.

Anyone know?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 10:20 AM   #2
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
I'm having problems figuring out what feature, option, or package gives adjustable ride height, the switch lever to the bottom right of the iDrive. I think I'd like to have this feature for medical reasons (which is one of the reasons why I'm looking at the X7). As I get older, it's harder for me to get in and out of a car that is either too low, or too high. The X7 is a good starting height, to swing my legs out and exit to a standing position, without having to climb down, or push up off my legs from a squatting position.

Anyway--what is it that adds the adjustable height? Is it 2VR, the 2-axle air suspension? That feature seems to be standard for all X7's. I think it's the ZOR Off-road package, but I can't find that information anywhere. If so, according to the configurator (at least in the USA) it seems you can't get both the off-road package and M-sport, which is something else I'd want, mostly for aesthetic reasons.

The one X7 I saw was a non-USA configuration, and it was in fact an M-sport and had the adjustable suspension height.

Anyone know?
Not sure but I think It’s ZOR that gives you that lever near the gear shift
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 10:28 AM   #3
akap007
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5d

Adjustable ride height is standard on all X7s regardless of M-sport. Even if you get DHP, you will still have adjustable ride height.

The only element that gets added is a second switch to toggle between snow and sand modes with the off road package. Off road package is not available with DHP.

Clear as mud.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 10:38 AM   #4
PIPE_DR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi,2014 x5, 2019 X7

Quote:

Anyone know?
Are you messin with us Wild?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 11:09 AM   #5
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akap007 View Post
Adjustable ride height is standard on all X7s regardless of M-sport. Even if you get DHP, you will still have adjustable ride height.

The only element that gets added is a second switch to toggle between snow and sand modes with the off road package. Off road package is not available with DHP.

Clear as mud.
do you know where the control is for ride height in vehicles without off road?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 11:24 AM   #6
akap007
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5d

All X7s will have two switches to adjust ride height. The first is located just below the gear shifter and the second is located on the lower rear tailgate.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 12:11 PM   #7
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIPE_DR View Post
Are you messin with us Wild?
Ummmm, no...

Quote:
Originally Posted by akap007 View Post
All X7s will have two switches to adjust ride height. The first is located just below the gear shifter and the second is located on the lower rear tailgate.
You're correct about the two locations, but I don't think that's right that all X7's are going to have the ride adjustment. I'm pretty sure I've seen videos of X7's that didn't have the height adjustment.

On the cutie's video, at 0:43, she points out how all X7's have 2 axle air suspension, but then goes on to say that when equipped with the offroad package, you get a total movement of about 3". About 2:10, she talks about how the tailgate height adjustment button works "for the offroad package". And about 12:10, showing the center console, she again talks about how X7's with the offroad package have the height adjustment switch lever.

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 12:43 PM   #8
dmann33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 650i

Quote:
Ummmm, no...

You're correct about the two locations, but I don't think that's right that all X7's are going to have the ride adjustment. I'm pretty sure I've seen videos of X7's that didn't have the height adjustment.

On the cutie's video, at 0:43, she points out how all X7's have 2 axle air suspension, but then goes on to say that when equipped with the offroad package, you get a total movement of about 3". About 2:10, she talks about how the tailgate height adjustment button works "for the offroad package". And about 12:10, showing the center console, she again talks about how X7's with the offroad package have the height adjustment switch lever.

I'm pretty sure that they all have height adjustment. It comes with the air suspension which is standard. I've seen 2 in person. Neither had Off road, but both have ride adjustment. I think they bill the feature as making it easier to add groceries and better fuel econ at hwy speed.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 12:44 PM   #9
PIPE_DR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

All vehicles will have adjustable air suspension with 1-rocker switch below shifter . Only vehicles with off road package will have 2- rocker switch's. Here's owners manual don't use file photo as reference
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 12:59 PM   #10
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Looks like you're right. In this video, it's clearly an M sport X7, which means no offroad package. But it does have the single height adjustment button lever.

(BTW, where'd you get a copy of the owner's manual?)

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 06:09 PM   #11
PIPE_DR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Looks like you're right. In this video, it's clearly an M sport X7, which means no offroad package. But it does have the single height adjustment button lever.

(BTW, where'd you get a copy of the owner's manual?)

The bmw manuals page wasn't excepting my vin for the owners manual so I called genius and the person I spoke to had to submit a request. It took a couple days but got the 422 page pdf emailed to me
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 11:10 PM   #12
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Is it possible to lock in the ride height and have it stay that way every time you start up the X7?

I'm going to want it at its lowest setting all the time. Can I set it that way and have it 'stick' or do I have to hit the button every time I restart the engine?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 12:19 AM   #13
Tattooed
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, G12, G30, F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
Is it possible to lock in the ride height and have it stay that way every time you start up the X7?

I'm going to want it at its lowest setting all the time. Can I set it that way and have it 'stick' or do I have to hit the button every time I restart the engine?
You will have to set it. Depending on speed, the system will either raise or lower the ride height. If you set it to the lowest setting and get above 22-25MPH it will raise up to the "normal" ride height. At freeway speeds it will lower one setting (with one additional lower setting when your not moving).
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 04:41 AM   #14
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooed View Post
You will have to set it. Depending on speed, the system will either raise or lower the ride height. If you set it to the lowest setting and get above 22-25MPH it will raise up to the "normal" ride height. At freeway speeds it will lower one setting (with one additional lower setting when your not moving).
And according to autoweek, you can set it in idrive so that every time you turn the ignition OFF the vehicle lowers for easy access.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 09:43 AM   #15
Tattooed
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooed View Post
And according to autoweek, you can set it in idrive so that every time you turn the ignition OFF the vehicle lowers for easy access.
Don't remember reading about setting the "entry" level in the manuel, but that would be nice. Will have to dig around the iDrive when mine arrives next week.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 10:23 AM   #16
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

You guys have been super helpful. Thanks so much.

Is there a link to a PDF download of the owners manual that I can have access to?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 10:37 AM   #17
Tattooed
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Is there a link to a PDF download of the owners manual that I can have access to?
I called BMW Genius and they emailed it.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 11:02 AM   #18
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:

When your X7 arrives just download the BMW Driver’s Guide App on your iPad or iPhone.You just have to input your VIN in the App and then you have the owners manual with you anytime you need it.
Appreciate 1
toddwalton1239.00
      03-24-2019, 11:13 AM   #19
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
When your X7 arrives just download the BMW Driver’s Guide App on your iPad or iPhone.You just have to input your VIN in the App and then you have the owners manual with you anytime you need it.
Thanks Nantucket, but I haven't been assigned a VIN yet and my car won't ship until May, so I was hoping to familiarize myself with the nuances of the car right now.

If I cram this weekend I can still tweak my build on Monday in case I forgot a feature that is important. Suspension, technology, would be great to learn it all.

So if there is a link to download a PDF of the owners manual it would be great.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 01:02 PM   #20
ppagiga
Major
Rep

FWIW it was Consumer Reports that said you can program the vehicle to lower whenever the ignition is turned off
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 05:48 PM   #21
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Here's the air suspension logic - same as X5 - for reference:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 04:18 AM   #22
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
That's what I'm trying to figure out as well. How to program the vehicle, so every time you turn it off, it automatically lowers the suspension to whatever level you pre-designate. (lowest or otherwise)
Appreciate 0