BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-05-2019, 09:07 AM   #1
gsanto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2011 550; 2004 X5

Is it possible to get email or texts in car?

I noticed on the Connected Drive website that there is a place to add email account information. I tried to set up one of my emails and it kept failing. I also don't see anywhere in the car to access email (or text for that matter). Maybe this feature isn't enabled in the US or it is one of the many apps that don't seem to work. Anyone able to get this working?

"You can add or remove email accounts here. You can receive and process emails from this account in your vehicle.

In the following, you can set up the mailboxes to be accessed and create text blocks for fast replies."
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 09:22 AM   #2
BigSanj
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 M50D

yes, it uses office 365, i got mine working seamlessly for the few days i had mine, and texts i was getting was via apple play.

EDIT, just noted your comment re being in the US, as it uses office 365 and apple play, i cannot see why it would not work?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 10:03 AM   #3
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

If you can do so in the F15, would expect same from the G05.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 11:01 AM   #4
Slaktaren
G05sweden
Sweden
Rep
Drives: X5M50D

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSanj View Post
yes, it uses office 365, i got mine working seamlessly for the few days i had mine, and texts i was getting was via apple play.

EDIT, just noted your comment re being in the US, as it uses office 365 and apple play, i cannot see why it would not work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSanj View Post

I think US is better of than sweden. Here no Spotify, no office 365. We need a Samsung to use digital key and an Apple phone to use apps from the phone. If you listen to your Android phone and use Bluetooth audio. That means all alerts such as email, messenger, snap or even textmessages lower the volume in the car and gives sound if you have that on. We se commercials staying you can see apps from your phone in your car but that is in Sweden not True. Had my x5m50d for a month but has spent more miles i a loaner with idrive6 that almost work. Soo far no working apps, tpms system krached, diff lock error go to BMW directly. I don't know what more to expect as I haven't had many hours in the car since i got it. My advice is to stay away until they get it working. I have had other first edition cars but this is just crazy.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 12:02 PM   #5
ScottMZ3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1, 2019 X5 40i

I haven't seen any way to use Office 365 in the G05 in the US. If someone knows how to enable that, would be great to find out!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 12:04 PM   #6
bichoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Haven't seen it in Canada either
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 12:29 PM   #7
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaktaren View Post
I think US is better of than sweden. Here no Spotify, no office 365. We need a Samsung to use digital key and an Apple phone to use apps from the phone.
From what I've heard so far, we are having the same problem in the US...
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 02:41 PM   #8
TSMC55
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019 GO5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 760Lifan View Post
I am on version .49 in Australia. The email, calendar and BMW messages (such as your account linking code) come up on the apps menu as different icons.

For text messages, I get a notification in the top bar (where the phone signal strength is displayed) and push up on the idrive rotating knob thing and select notifications. The messages are there.

From memory I thnk there is also something ont he Comms screen for text messages.

I hope it helps.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 08:20 AM   #9
Slaktaren
G05sweden
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSMC55 View Post
Quote:
I am on version .49 in Australia. The email, calendar and BMW messages (such as your account linking code) come up on the apps menu as different icons.

For text messages, I get a notification in the top bar (where the phone signal strength is displayed) and push up on the idrive rotating knob thing and select notifications. The messages are there.

From memory I thnk there is also something ont he Comms screen for text messages.

I hope it helps.
Quote:
Quote:

I hope it helps.

In idrive6 g05 it is like that. Are you sure you are referring to idrive7?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 11:31 AM   #10
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Quote:
Same here. To enable it, I had to change a setting on my iPhone to "Show Notifications" in the bluetooth setting for the car (hit the info button, i in a circle next to the bluetooth connection). Only problem is that it won't show who the message is from.

Not sure about email or calendaring. I imagine I'd have to enable CarPlay, which I don't like or use.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 03:21 PM   #11
Slaktaren
G05sweden
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlon View Post
Quote:
Same here. To enable it, I had to change a setting on my iPhone to "Show Notifications" in the bluetooth setting for the car (hit the info button, i in a circle next to the bluetooth connection). Only problem is that it won't show who the message is from.

Not sure about email or calendaring. I imagine I'd have to enable CarPlay, which I don't like or use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlon View Post
Quote:

I am going to try "Bluetooth Autoplay Music" app that looks promising. It can automatically set do not disturb, max volume, start Music player of choise. It even seem to be able to delay all this if you are on the phone while entering the car.. At the end leaving the car reset all..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 09:19 AM   #12
gsanto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2011 550; 2004 X5

I forgot to mention that I am an Android user which may also be contributing to the problem. BWM is so far behind on supporting Android that it is getting ridiculous.

My car is in the shop with a failed driver console and is over a week away from getting fixed. I was given an X3 loaner which has idrive6. It is unbelievable how far behind the interface is from 6 to 7 but some basic connectivity features seem to work better such as Spotify and messaging. It is so sad to see idrive7 taking such a major leap forward but still can't get some features that worked in previous versions to work now.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 01:40 AM   #13
Slaktaren
G05sweden
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsanto View Post
I forgot to mention that I am an Android user which may also be contributing to the problem. BWM is so far behind on supporting Android that it is getting ridiculous.

My car is in the shop with a failed driver console and is over a week away from getting fixed. I was given an X3 loaner which has idrive6. It is unbelievable how far behind the interface is from 6 to 7 but some basic connectivity features seem to work better such as Spotify and messaging. It is so sad to see idrive7 taking such a major leap forward but still can't get some features that worked in previous versions to work now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsanto View Post

I just bought my first BMW and I am chocked about how a world premium brand treat its customers. My G05 has spent more time at the dealer due to critical failures. The lack of knowledge from top to bottom is striking. Spare parts ordered was at factory wrongly labelled. The BMW portal totally confusing and still 4 weeks after delivery my dealer does not have right to enable my digital key. I saw the videos, commercials and believed as most that it was true. I still today cannot listen to uninterrupted music, cannot see mail. 1 out of 10 my remote commands reach the car. every second day connected drive portal is down. Totally confused about what packages needed to make stuff work. bought connected +. my loaner show it is enabled in that car but in the app at my car it is not there. Bought a Samsung as the manual say it is supported. Supported for what? My old Sony did exactly the same little. I tried to help and send BMW the errors I get in the app but some idiot has deactivated screenshot.. I get constant surveys in the app about the same if I like the app... I cannot change music library in I drive. I cannot listen to music if the phone is but placed at the charger. Everytime I need to get the phone out open and login and find spotify and put it back as the music dies doing that manouver. I have spent hours in the cars trying to get it to work and I have one tip. Google Android Auto and download the unofficial release if it is not available in your country. set it to activate on bluetooth for your car. That way you at least get rid of sound disappear when you get text messages or emails.. I have fyi started the process to return this prototype car. Shame on you BMW
Appreciate 0