F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Trunk opening randomly
ARMA SPEED

03-03-2019, 03:48 PM   #1
iranjha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Trunk opening randomly

This has been happening for about a year now off and on, but I noticed mostly the day of/after I get my car washed. The trunk will pop open (no flashing lights to indicate comfort access kick feature) and the latch will continue to click as if you're trying to open the trunk again and again and again while it is already open.

The first few times this happened, I did some research and decided to see if it was the key fob. I can confirm it is not the key fob button sensitivity because I can literally put the key on the floor and close the trunk and within 3-4 seconds it'll pop back open and continue to 'unlatch' the already open trunk. If the car is locked, it will unlock the car. Has not happened yet while the car is on, and only ever while parked and off.

I've concluded that this has something to do with moisture somewhere as again it really only happens very soon after a car wash. I'm going to take the car into the dealer as warranty is about to expire, what sensors/etc. should I tell them to look at to make sure they don't just try to reprogram my key fob and blame user error?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 04:06 PM   #2
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

What if you move the key fob away from the car? The fob could be sending the signal in error
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 04:11 PM   #3
iranjha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rak299 View Post
What if you move the key fob away from the car? The fob could be sending the signal in error
Won't happen but how to know if that's because of fob sending signal or because car won't open trunk because it's locked?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 04:18 PM   #4
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

I believe the car pops the trunk if it thinks you closed it with a fob inside (just like the doors refuse to lock when the fob is in the cabin).
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 04:19 PM   #5
iranjha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
I believe the car pops the trunk if it thinks you closed it with a fob inside (just like the doors refuse to lock when the fob is in the cabin).
Definitely no key fob inside the car. Would that explain the continuous unlocking though?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 04:29 PM   #6
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

If it sees the fob it should unlock. Could be something up with the comfort access though.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 04:44 PM   #7
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rak299 View Post
That is not something that should be happening. All the more reason to get the car checked under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 04:49 PM   #8
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iranjha View Post
This has been happening for about a year now off and on, but I noticed mostly the day of/after I get my car washed. The trunk will pop open (no flashing lights to indicate comfort access kick feature) and the latch will continue to click as if you're trying to open the trunk again and again and again while it is already open.

The first few times this happened, I did some research and decided to see if it was the key fob. I can confirm it is not the key fob button sensitivity because I can literally put the key on the floor and close the trunk and within 3-4 seconds it'll pop back open and continue to 'unlatch' the already open trunk. If the car is locked, it will unlock the car. Has not happened yet while the car is on, and only ever while parked and off.

I've concluded that this has something to do with moisture somewhere as again it really only happens very soon after a car wash. I'm going to take the car into the dealer as warranty is about to expire, what sensors/etc. should I tell them to look at to make sure they don't just try to reprogram my key fob and blame user error?
Your trunk should open, with Comfort Access, if:

-You have the key fob next to the trunk and you grip the trunk handle.
-You have the key fob next to the trunk and you kick swipe under the bumper.
-You close the fob in the trunk
-You press and hold the trunk button on the fob
-You press the trunk button inside the car.

You tell the service advisor that you have done none of these things, and yet the trunk still keeps opening.

The problem you are going to face is if they can't replicate the issue. If you can wash the car between now and your appointment, try and get a video of the trunk doing this mysterious opening. That should substitute for the dealer replicating the issue, or maybe preserve your warranty claim after the warranty expires if they can't replicate it, since you can show it happened before expiration.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 04:53 PM   #9
iranjha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iranjha View Post

Your trunk should open, with Comfort Access, if:

-You have the key fob next to the trunk and you grip the trunk handle.
-You have the key fob next to the trunk and you kick swipe under the bumper.
-You close the fob in the trunk
-You press and hold the trunk button on the fob
-You press the trunk button inside the car.

You tell the service advisor that you have done none of these things, and yet the trunk still keeps opening.

The problem you are going to face is if they can't replicate the issue. If you can wash the car between now and your appointment, try and get a video of the trunk doing this mysterious opening. That should substitute for the dealer replicating the issue, or maybe preserve your warranty claim after the warranty expires if they can't replicate it, since you can show it happened before expiration.

Good luck.
Good thing is that it was predictable enough that I had the camera rolling to show the issue. I just can't seem to understand why it would repeatedly try and open the trunk? I feel like that rules out it thinking the fob is in the car because why try to open it again if you've already opened it and solved the concern?

That leaves the fob being nearby and opening the trunk when the handle is gripped. I see this as likely and could see it correlating with car washes. Maybe moisture is triggering something under there?

Concerning nonetheless. My appointment is tomorrow along with a plethora of other things I want to get done before warranty is up.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 05:51 PM   #10
328iX
David
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328iX F31

Def something related to the water, it's shorting the handle circuit out
Appreciate 1
rak299600.50
      03-04-2019, 11:38 AM   #11
AndDown
Just Copacetic!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F22 230i MSport

When I'm washing my F22 which has comfort access, the door locks will lock and unlock as water is flowing over the handles (key is in my pocket) as I'm rinsing off the soap. Sounds like your issue is water acting as a conductor.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 04:40 PM   #12
iranjha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328dX View Post
Def something related to the water, it's shorting the handle circuit out
Took it to the dealer today and they could not reproduce. Showed them my video so they checked codes and did two other diagnostics as well as searched for any bulletins (other than the key fob one). All passed.

Sub zero wind chills here in Chicago so we couldn't wash it there to see if it happens. A short would store a code, correct?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 05:10 PM   #13
Bmwman325
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 MG CR 335 XI 6SP

I had this happen a couple times before, when I walked by the trunk with the fob in my pocket, the trunk would pop. I think it had to do with the "foot" sensor under the rear bumper, I thought maybe it was really dirty and was detecting something there.. It went away after cleaning the car..
      03-04-2019, 05:15 PM   #14
Moemiron
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i bmw

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Cool Trunk opening

Not sure either I have also had that happen to me I just thought I hit the trunk release button on the fob.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 05:40 PM   #15
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

Might be worth looking at the kick sensor under the rear bumper? Just a thought, probably not it but figured I'd through it out there. Maybe take a look under there to see if there's any obvious problems.
      03-04-2019, 11:06 PM   #16
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

There's a TSB out there someplace that involves coding the trunk lid to require you to press the door unlock button first. Should be a warranty service.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 11:28 PM   #17
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

I've came down to the garage to leave for work and found my trunk hanging open a number of times. It happened last Thursday and again this morning. The light is on so I don't think it's open all night.

What I think it is is accidental pressing of the button, caused by my other keys on the keyring folding over on top of the button, maybe smashing it while en route to or once in my pocket.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 02:08 AM   #18
firehawk618
Rep
Drives: 2018 328d

Old thread but relevant info.

My trunk has done this 3 times on me and I am pretty sure it's due to the remote being in my pocket and the button inadvertently being pressed.

I found this post on bimmerfest forums by Bob Clevenger.

I just changed this coding on my car and now the fob trunk button is disabled but comfort opening still works.

I did this with BimmerCode

I will know within a week if this was the cause of my trunk randomly opening.

Here's what he posted:

My 2016 340i X-Drive had the same problem. I finally got the coding that stopped it.
I used Bimmergeeks ' "Pro Tool" software on my Android phone to do the coding.

SAFETY>Fem>Expert>REMOTE_CONTROL>DEFAULT_IDG_3RD_B UTTON_SHORT
set data to 0F rather than default.

SAFETY>Fem>Expert>REMOTE_CONTROL>DEFAULT_IDG_3RD_B UTTON_MID

SAFETY>Fem>Expert>REMOTE_CONTROL>DEFAULT_IDG_3RD_B UTTON_LONG

SAFETY>Fem>Expert>REMOTE_CONTROL_TIME_DELAY_BOOTLI D>
set data to FF rather than default.

Now the trunk lid stays shut. It will not open with the remote, which I consider a useless feature, but it opens with the button in the cabin and with the sensor pad at the rear of the trunk lid. The lockout switch in the glove box still functions.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/t...#post-13600340
Appreciate 3
BimR245.00
eff32fl1051.50
      06-04-2022, 08:32 PM   #19
firehawk618
Rep
Drives: 2018 328d

2 days so far and no random open trunk.
Appreciate 0