F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > B58 post PPF mapping or tunebox?
Studio RSR

03-03-2019, 02:16 AM   #1
Jay440
Rep
Drives: 440i

B58 post PPF mapping or tunebox?

Hi all,

New to the forum as recently converted from Audi to BMW (S5 3.0T to 440i F32)

As the title says really, I love the car, except for the RFT's and suspension which is easily rectified with ACS and tyre swap but power wise it's a bit disappointing compared to my S5 which after a mapping alone gave 457hp at the crank. I have seen MPPSK as a stage 1 and I've seen plenty of tuning options for earlier cars. Also I'm not really into loud exhausts. So I discovered as mine is a Dec18 build and has PPF. I can't seem to find any information other than MPPSK isn't available and no tuning websites seem to distinguish between pre and post PPF?

Any help or advice would be welcomed and links to sites, actual experience etc

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 01:53 PM   #2
Jay440
Rep
Drives: 440i

*taps mic...Is this on?*
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 02:14 PM   #3
dizzy619
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Hi mate.... This will be the year when lots of different tuning options will become available for the b58.
Right now you can get a evolve or DMS remap (others are available) that will be good for 410-420 bhp.
Soon we will get MHD and bootmod3 enter the scene
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 03:41 AM   #4
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

Our performance upgrades for B58 with OPF are currently in development. They will be available in a few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 03:59 AM   #5
BMWiltshire
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 440i M-Sport+ MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay440 View Post
Hi all,

As the title says really, I love the car, except for the RFT's and suspension which is easily rectified with ACS and tyre swap but power wise it's a bit disappointing compared to my S5 which after a mapping alone gave 457hp at the crank. I have seen MPPSK as a stage 1 and I've seen plenty of tuning options for earlier cars. Also I'm not really into loud exhausts. So I discovered as mine is a Dec18 build and has PPF. I can't seem to find any information other than MPPSK isn't available and no tuning websites seem to distinguish between pre and post PPF?

Thanks
I have a 440i and had my map done by DMS - the results are spectacular. Power is now 440hp (with just the BMS intake & MPE and no other MOD) and the car feels as though it's come alive.

My car is actually booked back in with DMS later this month to have the Wagner Sports Cat and Eventuri Intake fitted, with the car back on their dyno to have the map tweaked to take advantage - am very excited, I'll be posting a writeup and dyno results on here once it's done

Edit: I'll be selling the BMS intake once the Eventuri one is on, it's only 5 months old (bought Oct 2018) and has done approx 3,000 miles so is great condition - DM me if you're interested
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 04:29 AM   #6
blueislander
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 440i

I really could go for a remap but the whole warranty thing terrifies me. PITA as the results are clearly impressive.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 10:00 AM   #7
M3anLantern
(Incoming) G80 M3Cx
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWiltshire View Post
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks
I have a 440i and had my map done by DMS - the results are spectacular. Power is now 440hp (with just the BMS intake & MPE and no other MOD) and the car feels as though it's come alive.

My car is actually booked back in with DMS later this month to have the Wagner Sports Cat and Eventuri Intake fitted, with the car back on their dyno to have the map tweaked to take advantage - am very excited, I'll be posting a writeup and dyno results on here once it's done

Edit: I'll be selling the BMS intake once the Eventuri one is on, it's only 5 months old (bought Oct 2018) and has done approx 3,000 miles so is great condition - DM me if you're interested
How much is that Sports Cat DP costing you? I've been very keen to get one with the Mppsk!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 11:04 AM   #8
BMWiltshire
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk1894 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks

How much is that Sports Cat DP costing you? I've been very keen to get one with the Mppsk!
It's £815 plus £200 fitting, quite a bit but cheaper than the Fabspeed, etc, and from what I've read Wagner kit is pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 01:49 PM   #9
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks

Have you had any problems with the DMS remap?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 02:58 PM   #10
BMWiltshire
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks

Nope, it's been 100% reliable so far. Have other people then? What issues if so?

In regards my planned swapping to the Eventuri intake, I've now been talked out of it by Tony at DMS - he's said it's not worth the money and as it's an oiled filter could well cause issues with the MAF sensor. Seems crazy that a company would be charging so much for an intake like the Eventuri that could cause problems, however now I've looked it up it seems that there have been people complaining about exactly this.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 03:17 PM   #11
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks

Nope, it's been 100% reliable so far. Have other people then? What issues if so?

In regards my planned swapping to the Eventuri intake, I've now been talked out of it by Tony at DMS - he's said it's not worth the money and as it's an oiled filter could well cause issues with the MAF sensor. Seems crazy that a company would be charging so much for an intake like the Eventuri that could cause problems, however now I've looked it up it seems that there have been people complaining about exactly this.
I've not heard of problems but you are one of the few peon here who have had it done.

I'm very tempted but wary of invalidating the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 03:32 PM   #12
BMWiltshire
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks

I've not heard of problems but you are one of the few peon here who have had it done.

I'm very tempted but wary of invalidating the warranty.
Yep it is a gamble with the warranty I suppose, I've only got 1yr left on mine though and I figured if anything big was duff from the factory it would probably have gone wrong by now in the 30k miles I've driven, so was worth the risk in invalidating the warranty.

The only thing with the DMS tune (and it may be possible to change) is that it does a bit of a rev when the engine starts, which sounds cool, but when you've got start/stop on and are in traffic can be a bit annoying. I'm going to ask Tony if it's something that can be altered when my car goes in on the 12th for the DP and map tweak.

I really can't say enough how much it changes the car though, the increase in power is ridiculous, not just overall but also just the smoothest delivery even over the MPPSK which I already had. I drove home with the most enormous smile on my face, slowing to a crawl just to WOT on every straight available

Looking round the DMS unit is quite something too - McLarens, Ferraris, Lambos, top end Porsches. I feel like if those guys trust DMS with their mega expensive machines then they're probably safe with my sub-50k bimmer!
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2019, 06:51 PM   #13
Steven1077
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i

If I wanted that sort of power I'd buy an M4
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 11:58 PM   #14
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Sort of echoing the post above.

My standard 440i feels far more chassis-limited than power-limited. If I was modding, it feels like the chassis would be the place to spend the money.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 12:57 AM   #15
BMWiltshire
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1077 View Post
If I wanted that sort of power I'd buy an M4
I wanted an M4 but have two small children and two dogs so needed back doors and the hatchback..... then 18 months later my wife bought a Range Rover and suddenly I could have had an M4 after all haha, not impressed!
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2019, 05:54 AM   #16
BMWiltshire
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post

My standard 440i feels far more chassis-limited than power-limited. If I was modding, it feels like the chassis would be the place to spend the money.
I definitely see where you're coming from with that - next up on my mods list is a Quaife diff (just waiting for the quote from DMS, think it's around £2k installed though) and the Birds B3 suspension upgrade. I've driven Birds demonstrator and the handling is next level, it's as big a difference to the handling as the DMS tune is to the power. Only thing is its not cheap - roughly £2k - so have had it on the back burner since last summer, hopefully have it installed by this summer
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2019, 06:36 AM   #17
N44RTT
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Quote:
Quote:

I definitely see where you're coming from with that - next up on my mods list is a Quaife diff (just waiting for the quote from DMS, think it's around £2k installed though) and the Birds B3 suspension upgrade. I've driven Birds demonstrator and the handling is next level, it's as big a difference to the handling as the DMS tune is to the power. Only thing is its not cheap - roughly £2k - so have had it on the back burner since last summer, hopefully have it installed by this summer
Why not go for the full Birds package (LSD, suspension and ARBs)? Might work out cheaper overall?
'15 LCI F30 330d M Sport Plus in EBII
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 06:57 AM   #18
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Sounds like your car is going to be awesome by the time you are done

Ps. I really have no right to comment, mines still on runflats, chrome grills, no MPPSK

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 07:53 AM   #19
BMWiltshire
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nart View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Why not go for the full Birds package (LSD, suspension and ARBs)? Might work out cheaper overall?
Yep I think Birds do a 5% discount (or something like that) on the 2nd thing you have done as part of the package, only thing is it's a couple of hours drive to them and therefore a huge pain in the arse. I can't afford to do everything at once, so am doing each major upgrade 2 or 3 months apart, so would have to go up multiple times and wait around all day, which is just too much hassle. DMS can order the stuff from Birds and fit for me, they're only 10mins from my work and they lend me a car for the day so tbh it's worth the extra £100 or 2 that it will cost me having it done by them.
Appreciate 1
N44RTT77.50
      03-05-2019, 08:06 AM   #20
BMWiltshire
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sounds like your car is going to be awesome by the time you are done

Ps. I really have no right to comment, mines still on runflats, chrome grills, no MPPSK
Thank you! I really should do a build thread but haven't got around to it yet - there's a load of carbon aero stuff going on it, new wheels to come (have got 19" Bola B11s on there atm but plan to get 20" forged wheels), etc, etc.
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2019, 08:49 AM   #21
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thank you! I really should do a build thread but haven't got around to it yet - there's a load of carbon aero stuff going on it, new wheels to come (have got 19" Bola B11s on there atm but plan to get 20" forged wheels), etc, etc.
A build thread sounds like a fantastic idea!

Appreciate 1
      03-05-2019, 09:15 AM   #22
StuyMac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 335i

Dervtech are seeing 440bhp from remapped cars with the PPF still in place.

Figures on their page show 350bhp std, 410bhp bluespark, and 440bhp custom tune.
Appreciate 0