BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Side by side comparison between X5 and X7

03-02-2019, 01:04 PM   #1
BMWMico
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 30e

Side by side comparison between X5 and X7

Appreciate 3
      03-02-2019, 02:19 PM   #2
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Thanks, Mico. Do like these side by side, apples to apples comparisons.

Good showing the X7 2nd row legroom, with the 2nd row slid all the way back, and further forward.

I had a similar experience to you, (and with captain's chairs) in that I did not find the X7 second and third row seat controls intuitive. Which button do I press? I just pressed a button, why isn't anything moving? I'll press it again. ...oh wait, something just moved a split second before I pressed it a second time. I'll press it a third time. Wait... no, it's not doing what I expected it to do.

Trunk controls, side thigh 2nd row controls, shoulder side 2nd row button, 2nd top top button/lever, sidewall buttons to the outside of the 2nd row, 2nd row control button on driver's door. It's a lot, and to figure out which one is the right one for what you want to do.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 09:39 AM   #3
mpop302
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 7

Can’t seem to find cargo volume behind 3rd row data anywhere
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 12:48 PM   #4
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpop302 View Post
It holds this much

Appreciate 1
Heimdall136.50
      03-13-2019, 01:36 PM   #5
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 1
      04-11-2020, 10:58 AM   #6
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMico View Post
Sorry when I see salesman who needs to read from the paper tells me all.
People on this forum know way more than those who sale those cars. Every time I go to dealers feels like I am better prepared than the sales team why is that? Why guys who sit all day long and waiting to sale are not diving a bit dipper to understand what they sale? Really?
Appreciate 1
Heimdall136.50
      04-11-2020, 11:20 AM   #7
TaytoX7
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 Xdrive40i M Sport

I totally agree. This guys videos are the worst. He fumbles along with no preparation what so ever.
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2020, 12:43 PM   #8
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaytoX7 View Post
I totally agree. This guys videos are the worst. He fumbles along with no preparation what so ever.
it's because they have a different skill set. they want to make money, not engineer or learn new technologies. selling cars isn't exactly the same as building them.

Think cheerleaders vs football players. or ticket window sales vs movie theater.

why does the sales person have to know that Tom Hanks is in a movie, or that Tom Cruise knew how everything works in Top Gun?
has nothing to do with collecting money and punching ticket stubs.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 12:57 PM   #9
TaytoX7
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 Xdrive40i M Sport

Don't make a video on YouTube then.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 08:08 PM   #10
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaytoX7 View Post
it's because they have a different skill set. they want to make money, not engineer or learn new technologies. selling cars isn't exactly the same as building them.

Think cheerleaders vs football players. or ticket window sales vs movie theater.

why does the sales person have to know that Tom Hanks is in a movie, or that Tom Cruise knew how everything works in Top Gun?
has nothing to do with collecting money and punching ticket stubs.
I will not agree, he has 10 models with few engines, salesman in a meat store known more about their product than the salesman at the dealership.
To sale he should know what is he selling perhaps some features could be the deal makers, anyhow I would expect more.

Take a look at car reviews and check Thomas from autogeful on YouTube, this is how things should be done,

Appreciate 1
      04-11-2020, 11:29 PM   #11
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB21 View Post
Sorry when I see salesman who needs to read from the paper tells me all.
People on this forum know way more than those who sale those cars. Every time I go to dealers feels like I am better prepared than the sales team why is that? Why guys who sit all day long and waiting to sale are not diving a bit dipper to understand what they sale? Really?
I've been saying this for years. What are they doing all day long? I don't expect you to know if it has titanium valves, but damn have a little knowledge of even what colors they come in. When I went to order my X7 originally, I was going to get phytonic blue. The internet sales guy told me it wasn't available. So, I email him the order guide I found online and he's like... "oh yeah" we can get that color. WTF!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 03:09 AM   #12
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

I agree that this video is poor from a production point of view but personally I dont care about that, I find it useful seeing vehicles side by side whether he reads from a script or not. Remember some guys make a living make YouTube videos and some are well produced and edited.

As for the sales exec not knowing his/her product, just remember they are dealing with a complete spectrum of models / colors /specs / options - even the best sales guys dont know everything although some are MUCH better than others
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 08:50 AM   #13
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMS View Post
I agree that this video is poor from a production point of view but personally I dont care about that, I find it useful seeing vehicles side by side whether he reads from a script or not. Remember some guys make a living make YouTube videos and some are well produced and edited.

As for the sales exec not knowing his/her product, just remember they are dealing with a complete spectrum of models / colors /specs / options - even the best sales guys dont know everything although some are MUCH better than others
There is whole spectrum of model correct, however we have to agree that features among cars are often the same, I do. It believe it takes rocket science to do this, perhaps when he start a job it will take him couple of months but the you get only so many new cars per year it should be easy walk for good salesman to get the few gadgets remembered.

Simply we need to admit that people are good when they do what they like and have also talents for. Most sales people at dealership I would argue that this job is their best strength.

Therefore whenever I buy new car I usually look at internet to learn something first then go to dealer and are often shocked how little they know and what is worst they do not even care, all they see is $$$ and want them as quickly as possible, oh well
Appreciate 1
UKMS112.00
      04-12-2020, 08:56 AM   #14
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Ok, I guess I will add my $.02...

I guess we all have different standards of knowledge expectations when walking into a dealership - be it for sales or service. For me, as a car enthusiast, I already know that I know more than your average Client Advisor (for sales) or Service Advisor (for service) as I always do my research before I go to the dealer. As a result, I usually base my opinions on the reaction of the dealer when I make it clear to them that I actually have some knowledge about the situation and why I am at the dealership.

For example, when shopping for my X7 at one dealership, the CA figured out pretty quick that I knew a lot about it. So he didn't try to BS me with inaccurate knowledge that he was not sure of. In fact, for the very specific questions that I asked, he went out of his way to try to find answers from someone else, getting back to me promptly. I respected the CA for having the "right" frame of mind when working with me and that fact directly contributed to me wanting to do business with him (and I did ultimately buy my X7 from that dealership). And his knowledge of the X7 was actually pretty good IMHO.

On the opposite end of the spectrum (and at a different dealership)... I brought my M3 in for the 1200 mile run in service which covers an engine oil change and a differential oil change. When the SA greeted me, I told him that I also wanted to have the transmission oil changed as well (paid for by me since the transmission oil change is not part of the BMW 1200 mile run in service). The SA insisted that the transmission oil could not be changed since it is "lifetime" oil - which it is not on a manual transmission car. The SA was a bit adamant about it, and after being polite, but schooling him on the transmission oil process in my car, he reluctantly went to go "look it up". He came back and stated that it could be done, but it would be $900+ to do and required 10L of oil. So after I explained to him (multiple times) why the info he provided me was wrong (my car is a manual transmission - requires 2L of oil and is a $200 job) and that the info he provided was for a Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) car, I gave up and asked to speak to the shop foreman. The foreman was smart enough to realize I was a knowledgeable customer and surprise - I was right.

I do think it is the top responsibility of a CA and SA to know their job and their product (and the lack of basic knowledge of the seat folding functions in the video in the first post is just embarrassing IMHO). However, what I think is even more important for the CA/SA is how the CA/SA handles themselves when it is clear they are dealing with a knowledgeable customer. I am not a fan of "the customer is always right" as the customer can be dead wrong and even worse, be an a$$ to a CA/SA. But there is a balance, and too many times I find that the CA/SA are off-balance in the knowledge and/or attitude department when dealing with customers.

But then, maybe my standards and expectations are too high .....

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 2
UKMS112.00
      04-12-2020, 09:14 PM   #15
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
But then, maybe my standards and expectations are too high .....
Not at all. But don't count on getting what should be expected in today's generation. I experience these same problems all the time.

When I picked up my X7 I knew more about the car and it's features than the idiot, oops I mean Genius, that went over the car with me.

Unfortunately this is the sad state of affairs in today's world.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 03:59 AM   #16
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Not at all. But don't count on getting what should be expected in today's generation. I experience these same problems all the time.

When I picked up my X7 I knew more about the car and it's features than the idiot, oops I mean Genius, that went over the car with me.

Unfortunately this is the sad state of affairs in today's world.
In the UK I dealt with the same Sales Exec at BMW Park Lane, London for many years for most of our family BMW and Mini purchases. Whilst his knowledge was extremely thorough he never knew everything but what I liked about him was that he never gave an ounce of BS, if he didnt know something he would say so but find out for me. For me personally his biggest strength was helping select the right colour/interior/trim combo particularly in the scenario where I couldnt see them in the flesh (most of this was before the days of being able to visualize online)

My pet hate in any sales environment is BS, if I sniff it I usually walk away
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 08:01 AM   #17
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpop302 View Post

If you’ve got the 3rd row up it means you have 5-7 passengers and there is no way to get even the bare minimum of luggage back there even for a quick overnight stay. If you use lightweight nylon duffel bags and share them you can get 3 inside the car- two in the tiny space behind the 3rd row and one under the hidden floor compartment. Stroller? Forget the duffels, it’ll take up all the space.

For anything more than an overnight stay you’ll need a size XL cargo box which can hold 6 or 7 lightweight duffel bags. Flying your family of 6 or 7 from the airport with rolling carryon’s you can forget it, you’ll need to park two cars or hire a car service to drive you.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 12:15 PM   #18
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Weekender bags only. Stacked. That is the only thing that works. You can do four or six depending how you stack & pack.

or

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 12:32 AM   #19
Olekiller
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 14 bmw 750 li , 2019 bmw x7 4o

Quote:
There is whole spectrum of model correct, however we have to agree that features among cars are often the same, I do. It believe it takes rocket science to do this, perhaps when he start a job it will take him couple of months but the you get only so many new cars per year it should be easy walk for good salesman to get the few gadgets remembered.

Simply we need to admit that people are good when they do what they like and have also talents for. Most sales people at dealership I would argue that this job is their best strength.

Therefore whenever I buy new car I usually look at internet to learn something first then go to dealer and are often shocked how little they know and what is worst they do not even care, all they see is $$$ and want them as quickly as possible, oh well
When I purchased my x7 in August. I specifically said I need it to have adaptive cruise control. He told me yes it has the drivers assistance package. Bought the car drove off. We all now know the drivers assistance package does not include adaptive cruise control 🤦🏿*♂️. As per why a $94k car doesn't have it standard when a base Toyota Corolla does is a next argument.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 07:52 AM   #20
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olekiller View Post
As per why a $94k car doesn't have it standard when a base Toyota Corolla does is a next argument.
There is no argument. Look at all the other stuff the Corolla doesn't have to give you that option.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 09:39 PM   #21
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olekiller View Post
Quote:

When I purchased my x7 in August. I specifically said I need it to have adaptive cruise control. He told me yes it has the drivers assistance package. Bought the car drove off. We all now know the drivers assistance package does not include adaptive cruise control 🤦🏿*♂️. As per why a $94k car doesn't have it standard when a base Toyota Corolla does is a next argument.
I have ordered my car twice within 5 weeks, first in June I ordered 50i and then few weeks later I was told that they have run out of dashboards and they said you can order 2020 model or some other dashboard, how can you even offer dashboard that does not match? My interior is the white blue theme.

Gladly due to the mess up I was offered ability to order 2020 model before they officially have been available so I got M50i car is great but I wish I would have gotten few more features but sales did not even had any info nor even wood samples for interior, anyhow I think most of the sales guys behave like used car salesman's .

This red one please or this blue...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 09:46 PM   #22
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

^^^^^^
Appreciate 0