BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum My first quick impressions of the X7 - not mine, not driven

03-01-2019, 04:18 PM   #1
bjcarls
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 Tahoe, 22 R1S, 23 Z07

My first quick impressions of the X7 - not mine, not driven

Take it for what it is. I went to the local dealer today and they had a 'sold' Carbon Black, M-Sport, 22's with Ivory White / Night blue interior. I was able to sit and drive it since I was serious but declined the drive, its somebody's baby. The short, I walked away thoroughly impressed! Let's get the negatives out first, blah, blah, the grill is big, and I don't understand why on shadowline trim the grill is chrome and not sure why the front corners are so busy....but anyway....

The interior was beautiful, legroom was great (I'm 6-5) and I could sit behind myself without any concern. Third row at that point isn't great but I only have two kids so I didn't measure or look hard. Switch gear all made sense, including the buttons in the trunk to fold everything down, the storage under the third row was well thought out and large, large rear doors and glass area was very big, the SAV had a presence to it that an X5 could only dream of, it looked classy and like a badass person was going to come out of the rear - some of this was the carbon black/tint/22's, front passenger view and gear layout was superb and again had all the options you wished for, USB-C, auto sun shades controllable from the front and 2nd row.

Driver can pull up the 2nd row to hit the kids when they aren't behaving, third row sunroof was awesome and the climate controls in the 3rd row are top notch digital, digital 2nd row climate is also nice as my kids busted the previous 2 gen controls, the steering wheel size/fit - awesome, the glass controls were interesting but didn't fit the feel of the SUV imo - not a detractor but not a 100% wow, seat comfort awesome, gap between wheel and fender was perfect with the 22's (that would be a must for me).

It is much better looking than the X5, imo I'm finding the X5 to be an ugly duckling. Come 2020, I'll give it a serious look. I think BMW did a great job with the X7. Everyone that has ordered one, I'm jealous of the luxury your going to have. I wouldn't have a single regret. I know it'll drive great because its a BMW. Just wanted to post my thoughts for those that might have thought twice about their order.

Sidenote - also sat in the new 3 series. Its huge and a very nice step up over the last decade. No real complaints. BMW seems to be hitting on all cylinders. The last 8 years have been a little ho-hum imo, but the new cars I see and read about, impressed. New M5, new 3, X3M, new X7. Now if they could just figure out the 7 series.

Now with spaces.

Last edited by bjcarls; 03-02-2019 at 07:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 10:08 PM   #2
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Thx for the review but it's one giant block of text. TLDR;

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 04:36 AM   #3
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjcarls View Post
Take it for what it is. I went to the local dealer today and they had a 'sold' Carbon Black, M-Sport, 22's with Ivory White / Night blue interior. I was able to sit and drive it since I was serious but declined the drive, its somebody's baby. The short, I walked away thoroughly impressed! Let's get the negatives out first, blah, blah, the grill is big, and I don't understand why on shadowline trim the grill is chrome and not sure why the front corners are so busy....but anyway....the interior was beautiful, legroom was great (I'm 6-5) and I could sit behind myself without any concern. Third row at that point isn't great but I only have two kids so I didn't measure or look hard. Switch gear all made sense, including the buttons in the trunk to fold everything down, the storage under the third row was well thought out and large, large rear doors and glass area was very big, the SAV had a presence to it that an X5 could only dream of, it looked classy and like a badass person was going to come out of the rear - some of this was the carbon black/tint/22's, front passenger view and gear layout was superb and again had all the options you wished for, USB-C, auto sun shades controllable from the front and 2nd row, driver can pull up the 2nd row to hit the kids when they aren't behaving, third row sunroof was awesome and the climate controls in the 3rd row are top notch digital, digital 2nd row climate is also nice as my kids busted the previous 2 gen controls, the steering wheel size/fit - awesome, seat comfort awesome, gap between wheel and fender was perfect with the 22's (that would be a must for me). It is much better looking than the X5, imo I'm finding the X5 to be an ugly duckling. Come 2020, I'll give it a serious look. I think BMW did a great job with the X7. Everyone that has ordered one, I'm jealous of the luxury your going to have. I wouldn't have a single regret. I know it'll drive great because its a BMW. Just wanted to post my thoughts for those that might have thought twice about their order.

Sidenote - also sat in the new 3 series. Its huge and a very nice step up over the last decade. No real complaints. BMW seems to be hitting on all cylinders. The last 8 years have been a little ho-hum imo, but the new cars I see and read about, impressed. New M5, new 3, X3M, new X7. Now if they could just figure out the 7 series.
Auricom must be 6 yrs old cause it took me about 60 seconds to read that, great write up ty. Loved the second row slide forward comment, lol
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 08:50 AM   #4
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

My experience and thoughts were pretty similar to yours. Loved this line:

Quote:
Driver can pull up the 2nd row to hit the kids when they aren't behaving
I honestly can't figure out why else those buttons are on the driver's door.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 09:23 AM   #5
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
My experience and thoughts were pretty similar to yours. Loved this line:

I honestly can't figure out why else those buttons are on the driver's door.
Yeah its weird the button only seems to slide the seats 4” or so back and forth, but doesn’t tilt the seats up and forward or anything. I guess sliding them forward helps a little for people getting in and out of car. Or maybe the real purpose is to be able to create a little more/less third row legroom on the go without needing to get out of vehicle to do so.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 10:25 AM   #6
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
Yeah its weird the button only seems to slide the seats 4” or so back and forth, but doesn’t tilt the seats up and forward or anything. I guess sliding them forward helps a little for people getting in and out of car. Or maybe the real purpose is to be able to create a little more/less third row legroom on the go without needing to get out of vehicle to do so.
Dunno, that could be it. You're driving down the road, and kids in the 3rd row yell, "dad, Kid X in the 2nd row is squishing me with his seat!" Without having to stop, get out, open the back door, and scoot the seat, you can just shift it up while you drive, and then lock out the 2nd row controls.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 01:32 PM   #7
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
Quote:
Take it for what it is. I went to the local dealer today and they had a 'sold' Carbon Black, M-Sport, 22's with Ivory White / Night blue interior. I was able to sit and drive it since I was serious but declined the drive, its somebody's baby. The short, I walked away thoroughly impressed! Let's get the negatives out first, blah, blah, the grill is big, and I don't understand why on shadowline trim the grill is chrome and not sure why the front corners are so busy....but anyway....the interior was beautiful, legroom was great (I'm 6-5) and I could sit behind myself without any concern. Third row at that point isn't great but I only have two kids so I didn't measure or look hard. Switch gear all made sense, including the buttons in the trunk to fold everything down, the storage under the third row was well thought out and large, large rear doors and glass area was very big, the SAV had a presence to it that an X5 could only dream of, it looked classy and like a badass person was going to come out of the rear - some of this was the carbon black/tint/22's, front passenger view and gear layout was superb and again had all the options you wished for, USB-C, auto sun shades controllable from the front and 2nd row, driver can pull up the 2nd row to hit the kids when they aren't behaving, third row sunroof was awesome and the climate controls in the 3rd row are top notch digital, digital 2nd row climate is also nice as my kids busted the previous 2 gen controls, the steering wheel size/fit - awesome, seat comfort awesome, gap between wheel and fender was perfect with the 22's (that would be a must for me). It is much better looking than the X5, imo I'm finding the X5 to be an ugly duckling. Come 2020, I'll give it a serious look. I think BMW did a great job with the X7. Everyone that has ordered one, I'm jealous of the luxury your going to have. I wouldn't have a single regret. I know it'll drive great because its a BMW. Just wanted to post my thoughts for those that might have thought twice about their order.

Auricom must be 6 yrs old cause it took me about 60 seconds to read that, great write up ty. Loved the second row slide forward comment, lol
I'm a very intelligent 6 year old by your account. Thx for the compliment.

To OP new formatting is greatly appreciated, paragraph breaks are much easier to scan, and adds cred to your write up.

I agree that they did a great job on the new X7. Wish they had the same whee options on the X5. The more time I've spent with one this weekend the more I'm leaning X7.

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 12:55 PM   #8
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Dunno, that could be it. You're driving down the road, and kids in the 3rd row yell, "dad, Kid X in the 2nd row is squishing me with his seat!" Without having to stop, get out, open the back door, and scoot the seat, you can just shift it up while you drive, and then lock out the 2nd row controls.

hey posted this elsewhere but figured would be relevant here.

i think the way this button works is this:

1) if driving, the button slides the second row as far forward as it goes, or as far rearward as it goes. this is the child discipline function we joked about. to give a little legroom to the third row when needed or take away when unnecessary.
2) if the vehicle is stationary with a second row door open, this button will slide forward and tilt the seat for easy third row ingress/egress. this will do this for the seat corresponding to the open door. so for example if driver's side rear door is open, driver's side captains will go through this process.

this is just my stab based on this video. 5:40-55 marker they are able to slide forward and tilt the second row without first folding the backrest using the backrest lever. given that we don't see them pressing any buttons to do this, and that they had just been looking at the driver's side door button about 30 secs prior, this is my guess.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 05:33 PM   #9
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Just following up on our guesses on this, here's what the X7 owner's manual specifically says about the driver's door controls for the 2nd row seat adjustment.

Does suggest it's primarily for 3rd row entry:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 06:13 PM   #10
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Just following up on our guesses on this, here's what the X7 owner's manual specifically says about the driver's door controls for the 2nd row seat adjustment.

Does suggest it's primarily for 3rd row entry:
Yeah think the driver door control button is for fore/aft only. And then within idrive you can choose which seat(s) it controls: driver side, passenger side, both.

Still dont know if captains can slide forward and tilt up without first folding seat back forward a bit
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 07:50 AM   #11
SoCalS2k
Major
Rep
Drives: S2K!

Garage List
2001 Honda S2k  [8.50]
I spent a lot of time with the x7 this weekend. The second row slide to gain entry to the 3rd row is painfully and unnecessarily slow. Doug demuro was not exaggerating on this. I would in all honesty have preferred if it were manual slide forward. Seriously painfully slow!
Appreciate 0