E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > What Mod to make

03-24-2006, 05:46 PM   #1
england1987
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M coupe

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [7.50]
What Mod to make

I'm trying to get ahead of the game. I am trying to find out what the best handling mods are. Since most modern cars are engineered to understeer from the factory, what will decreace this dendency. I was thinking that changing the rear sway bar to H&R or Eibach. Or maybe changing the springs. What about adding a strut tower brace.

Any imput is welcome
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2006, 05:51 PM   #2
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

springs and sways, and while you're in there new shorter shocks too

the strut brace won't change handling tendancies
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2006, 05:55 PM   #3
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

If you are hardcore, change the cambers. Roll-cage. Strip the car down. Buy an STi or EVO.
      03-24-2006, 06:00 PM   #4
england1987
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M coupe

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
If you are hardcore, change the cambers. Roll-cage. Strip the car down. Buy an STi or EVO.
I am not that hardcore. I want street car that can hold its own on an autocross and spirited backroad driving.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2006, 06:11 PM   #5
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Well, the first rule of handling is to buy the best R-compound tires you can.

Increase your front tire pressures and reduce rear pressures (in 2.5 increments) if you want more oversteer and less understeer.

Likewise, if you increase the width of the front wheels while decreasing the rear, you also increase oversteer.

If you buy new dampers, decrease the damping forces for the fronts and increase the rears.

Other things you can do is get springs with different spring rates for the fronts and the rears (soft for fronts, stiff for rears). Suspension bushings also can help (stiff fronts, soft rears) and like Ward said, a sway-bars help as well (soft fronts, stiff rears).

Of course, use common sense and if you try to do all of this in one install, you may eventually get excessive oversteer.

EDIT: Anything opposite would conform to the opposite (e.g. increase understeer while decreasing oversteer).