F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Enterprise and EGR recall
ARMA SPEED

02-28-2019, 08:35 AM   #1
R11RRY
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D Xdrive Mperformance

Enterprise and EGR recall

Hi all

Basically my car went in for the egr recall and bmw kept it. Got a huge estate insignia from enterprise who said theyl swap it for me later

I took the car back today and they said theres a gash in one of the tyres and either want the £250 excess or for me to replace it - its a 20" tyre

They mentioned i didnt take out the excess waiver, Surey bmw should have paid this?

Advice appreciated
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 08:50 AM   #2
AyrshireColin
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Taycan Turbo

Not certain there's a black and white answer to my mind.

You got tyre insurance? If you do then I'd say yes as it should be like for like - that aside I'd say it's on you if you damaged it.......only my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 09:32 AM   #3
Cilonen
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla M3, 2016 F11 530d

Nope -BMW only pay the standard insurance. The Enterprise rep would have gone through the paperwork when you got the car, and confirmed with you about taking (or not) the excess waiver.

You didn't = your cost
Appreciate 1
Pequin230.00
      02-28-2019, 12:34 PM   #4
1 AKY
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F11 530d

I'd replace it with a legal part worn.....doesn't have to be brand new. Should be a lot less than £250. Just read the small print in the rental agreement before you do though as there might be something about fair wear & tear.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 01:30 PM   #5
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Yes the waivers are usually down to the customer. No different to when say BMW loan you their own car and offer for example a £10 waiver to avoid £1000 excess.

Did the tyre have a gash when you were given the car? Did you check it over? A gash cannot be repaired so the tyre will require replacement. £250 is a gash to your wallet. My advice would be to get a budget tyre or part worn yet legal tyre then return it. Say you will sort it because if you mention part worn they will decline.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 01:40 PM   #6
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D Xdrive Msport+

Garage List
This is crazy, when I had my last enterprise rental (insignia) during the E91 wiring recall provided by BMW it had 4K on the clock a set of miss matched tyres all well under pressure with the front worn to barely legal all with side walls showing kerb chafing/rim protector damage and the wheels looked like they had been cleaned with a Brillo pad. I went back after 1day to ask for it to be changed as it didn't feel safe the tracking was way out told it was fine so went away had it checked at a local ats who said it was a state they called enterprise who did an exchange with me at the ats there and then. Christ knows what had happened to that car in 4K it was a mess.

I do always make sure I signed a waiver and pay the fee as I'm sure these rental outfits do things on return just to pin a huge bill on you.
      02-28-2019, 01:51 PM   #7
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Originally Posted by R11RRY View Post
Hi all

Basically my car went in for the egr recall and bmw kept it. Got a huge estate insignia from enterprise who said theyl swap it for me later

I took the car back today and they said theres a gash in one of the tyres and either want the £250 excess or for me to replace it - its a 20" tyre

They mentioned i didnt take out the excess waiver, Surey bmw should have paid this?

Advice appreciated
Didn't you say just a day or two ago, that you'd been offered the excess waiver and had declined it ?

You were offered, you declined. Therefore taking on that liability yourself.

No different to having your own insurance / excess. You chose to not reduce your potential excess by paying an additional sum.

You made your bed, now you get to lie in it.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 03:09 PM   #8
ian332isport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Shadow Edition

I can't say I'd considered damage waiver insurance on a loan car before. I've only had a BMW loan car twice during warranty work, and they never asked if I wanted additional insurance.

When hiring a car, I always decline the relatively expensive damage waiver insurance offered, and get it from these guys:

https://www.icarhireinsurance.com

Last time I hired a car for about a week, it was going to be about £90 for the waiver insurance from the hire company. I think I paid about £25 through the people above.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 03:16 PM   #9
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
Didn't you say just a day or two ago, that you'd been offered the excess waiver and had declined it ?

You were offered, you declined. Therefore taking on that liability yourself.

No different to having your own insurance / excess. You chose to not reduce your potential excess by paying an additional sum.

You made your bed, now you get to lie in it.
How much do enterprise charge per week for this waiver?
What if BMW keep the car for months like others members have experienced?
Should you be out of pocket at all for a safety recall just because BMW can't do the repair and quarantine the car instead?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 03:28 PM   #10
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
How much do enterprise charge per week for this waiver?
What if BMW keep the car for months like others members have experienced?
Should you be out of pocket at all for a safety recall just because BMW can't do the repair and quarantine the car instead?
Issue is I guess that the tyre was damaged in the OPs charge. If it happened in his own car he’d have to pay it himself so not technically out of pocket, unless tyre insurance was in place on his own car.

However if you decline the waiver then you roll the dice.

Personally I go with the icar hire option for year long cover for rental/ hire cars here and abroad.
      02-28-2019, 03:43 PM   #11
R11RRY
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Excess waiver was £10 per day. The cars been hired out to me for 21 days to start worh depending on how long my car is in the garage. My friends bmw has been in for 3 weeks so far!
Iv managed to find a budget tyre for £75 fitted and will be returning the car tomorrow and will get the excess waiver. Iv read somewhere that its capped for a maximum of ten days so it should be around 100.
Still annoying as i could have sworn i didnt do it as i dont remember kerbing nor going over any potholes. Frustrating
Rang bmw uk who said they just provided the car and its up to me to get the additional insurances in place.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 04:06 PM   #12
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal101 View Post
Issue is I guess that the tyre was damaged in the OPs charge. If it happened in his own car he’d have to pay it himself so not technically out of pocket, unless tyre insurance was in place on his own car.

However if you decline the waiver then you roll the dice.

Personally I go with the icar hire option for year long cover for rental/ hire cars here and abroad.
This is always a risk with a hire car I guess, if you don't look over every inch of the car when you pick it up you could miss something and then get billed for damage you didn't do without the waiver.

The OP doesn't think he caused the damage.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 04:20 PM   #13
R11RRY
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I've had a look at the icar hire insurance option. Some mixed reviews about the claims process. Anyone have any experience with them?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 04:44 AM   #14
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Always check the car! I do with a loaner from the dealership, I think you'd have noticed a hit to the tyre big enough to cut it, so they are taking the piss.
      03-01-2019, 05:16 AM   #15
R11RRY
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Will do from now on. Need to go through it and take pics i suppose
Appreciate 0