F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Stupid Run Flats - What do i do?
Studio RSR

02-12-2019, 03:24 AM   #1
fuzzybunny
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Orange F33 435dx Convertible

Stupid Run Flats - What do i do?

Hi All,
My first BMW and first car with Run Flats!
I do a lot of journeys late at night, quite often hundreds of miles from home. I know if I get a puncture then I'm stuffed as only got 50 miles on the run flat which will be knackered at the end. Can't carry a space saver spare as my convertible's boot is too small and it would probably stress out the xDrive!
So was considering carrying a posh squirty goo inflator which could keep me going till I get home and can sort out a new tyre/repair.
Could use the SOS button and hope BMW would collect me and take me home but that seems a bit drastic for a puncture repair!
Anyone had this problem and been stuck many miles away from home at night with a busted run flat?
      02-12-2019, 03:51 AM   #2
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Was stuck near Glenfinnan with a flat tyre one afternoon. I had a can of squirty goo but wasn't able to use it as I'd gone over a pothole and the puncture was in the sidewall

Waste of one good Eagle F1 tyre. At least with a RFT i'd have been able to nurse it to the nearest garage.
      02-12-2019, 04:32 AM   #3
fuzzybunny
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishbosh View Post
Was stuck near Glenfinnan with a flat tyre one afternoon. I had a can of squirty goo but wasn't able to use it as I'd gone over a pothole and the puncture was in the sidewall

Waste of one good Eagle F1 tyre. At least with a RFT i'd have been able to nurse it to the nearest garage.
Thanks bishbosh but no good limping to a tyre place in the middle of the night. Even if it was daytime I bet they wouldn't have a run flat that exactly matched your existing tyres. At least with a spare wheel you could get home and start ringing around for the right replacement.
      02-12-2019, 04:45 AM   #4
fuzzybunny
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Pretty much answered my own question here!
Rang BMW and I'm still under cover so they said 'no problem' they will pick me up and take me home on a recovery vehicle. Give the neighbors something to talk about in the middle of the night!
      02-12-2019, 06:15 AM   #5
ossi1
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M Sport 340i

Yep, that's what they're for.

We've used BMW / Mini recovery twice (same thing) once for a puncture and once for an engine warning light. I rang the dealership about the warning light, they told me they couldn't fit me in for three weeks but to ring recovery instead. Doing it that way, they recovered the car to the dealership, supplied a hire car and sorted it out in 48 hours.
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2019, 06:38 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybunny View Post
Pretty much answered my own question here!
Rang BMW and I'm still under cover so they said 'no problem' they will pick me up and take me home on a recovery vehicle. Give the neighbors something to talk about in the middle of the night!
Plus you can continue to buy the emergency cover after the first three years, have the same support while you own the car. Cover for home & roadside recovery, hire cars, onward travel/hotel accommodation, redelivery, etc.

Quote:
BMW INSURED EMERGENCY SERVICE.
Key benefits:
*Assistance in the event of an emergency on the road, at home or elsewhere
*Coverage anywhere in the UK, Republic of Ireland and Continental Europe
*Extensive network of Emergency Service centres manned 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
*Experienced, multi-lingual staff
*Can be purchased on its own or in conjunction with BMW Insured Warranty

Terms, conditions and exclusions apply.
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2019, 07:25 AM   #7
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

The 50 miles is also very very conservative. I wouldn't recommend it but due to a a tyre shortage and being 150 miles from home, I've driven back on a RFT puncture, just keeping steady and 55mph max was no problem.
      02-12-2019, 08:15 AM   #8
fuzzybunny
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
The 50 miles is also very very conservative. I wouldn't recommend it but due to a a tyre shortage and being 150 miles from home, I've driven back on a RFT puncture, just keeping steady and 55mph max was no problem.
That's pretty impressive and you didn't stop to pump it up at all or use any goo?
      02-12-2019, 08:19 AM   #9
dangerous_al
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i G01 2020

I have been driving on BMW run flats for 13 years and never been stuck. I have had 5 punctures, 4 of which have been repaired. Forget the tyre slime as it makes a right mess inside the wheel and tyre and not sure it would do to the tyre valve/TPMS sensor. Most punctures are a nail/screw and slow deflation, which can usually be repaired as long as you don't run flat. Get yourself a decent air compressor, something like a Ring RTC1000, and when you get the deflation warning, keep an eye on the pressure, keep it topped up until you get home or to a garage that will fix it.
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2019, 08:25 AM   #10
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 3.0d M Sport

I am on RFT's and although the ride can be harsh I prefer the security of being able to drive home at least without stopping. I drive though a few dodgy areas around Manchester so that suits me.

+1 on the Ring Compressor, I carry in my car also.
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2019, 08:39 AM   #11
fuzzybunny
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerous_al View Post
I have been driving on BMW run flats for 13 years and never been stuck. I have had 5 punctures, 4 of which have been repaired. Forget the tyre slime as it makes a right mess inside the wheel and tyre and not sure it would do to the tyre valve/TPMS sensor. Most punctures are a nail/screw and slow deflation, which can usually be repaired as long as you don't run flat. Get yourself a decent air compressor, something like a Ring RTC1000, and when you get the deflation warning, keep an eye on the pressure, keep it topped up until you get home or to a garage that will fix it.
Thanks for that, I do carry a ring compressor with me and would basically do as you suggest (although haven't done it yet!) I can't see any reasons why a small puncture in the tread of a run flat cant be repaired if I kept it topped up and haven't run on it whilst flat. As you say most punctures are slow deflation.
      02-12-2019, 09:40 AM   #12
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

Quote:
Hi All,
Can't carry a space saver spare as my convertible's boot is too small and it would probably stress out the xDrive!
I take it the xDrive comment is a joke.

I detest the "no spare" thing as well. There are places in the West of the US I would be reluctant to take our F30. It's not just the sparse population and the problem of getting a replacement tyre. Cell service can be extremely spotty in the far flung parts of Nevada, Utah, Idaho etc.

You also have to keep a close eye on your fuel gauge. There is a sign on one highway here that reads "Next gas 163 miles". It used to say 100 miles but the place went out of business. Note that it doesn't say anything about diesel...
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2019, 11:10 AM   #13
fuzzybunny
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
I take it the xDrive comment is a joke.

I detest the "no spare" thing as well. There are places in the West of the US I would be reluctant to take our F30. It's not just the sparse population and the problem of getting a replacement tyre. Cell service can be extremely spotty in the far flung parts of Nevada, Utah, Idaho etc.

You also have to keep a close eye on your fuel gauge. There is a sign on one highway here that reads "Next gas 163 miles". It used to say 100 miles but the place went out of business. Note that it doesn't say anything about diesel...
Yes the xDrive thing is a joke but based on recent comments over xDrive getting upset about tyres with different diameters and even different weights. Take your point though about distances in the states. Would your BMW assist be able to find you out in the desert assuming you can get a signal! I'd carry a spare can of fuel and a spare wheel if I was out there but I am a bit OCD!
      02-13-2019, 03:51 AM   #14
Lagemba
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 420d 2015 M Performance

Quote:
Hi All,
My first BMW and first car with Run Flats!
I do a lot of journeys late at night, quite often hundreds of miles from home. I know if I get a puncture then I'm stuffed as only got 50 miles on the run flat which will be knackered at the end. Can't carry a space saver spare as my convertible's boot is too small and it would probably stress out the xDrive!
So was considering carrying a posh squirty goo inflator which could keep me going till I get home and can sort out a new tyre/repair.
Could use the SOS button and hope BMW would collect me and take me home but that seems a bit drastic for a puncture repair!
Anyone had this problem and been stuck many miles away from home at night with a busted run flat?
I've had the same issue. I carry an air compressor that's powered by the cigarette outlet. Had to keep stopping to fill up the tyre to ensure it didn't go flat before I got home. Very useful to have in a that situation and would recommend.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 07:22 AM   #15
sunjas
sunjas
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 BMW 325d SE Auto

This is the first BMW I've had with RFT's and it makes me very nervous if I get a puncture.

Bring back spare wheels car manufacturers. Even space savers are better than nothing!

Who wants to be stranded at the roadside trying to fill their tyre with air or sealant, especially in bad weather?

At the end of the day it's for safety above everything else, surely?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 07:45 AM   #16
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 3.0d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunjas View Post
This is the first BMW I've had with RFT's and it makes me very nervous if I get a puncture.

Bring back spare wheels car manufacturers. Even space savers are better than nothing!

Who wants to be stranded at the roadside trying to fill their tyre with air or sealant, especially in bad weather?

But you shouldn't get stranded. Even if the tyre had no air pressure it will still stay up and driveable due to the stiff steel wall embedded in the tyre. I have driven 18 miles like this home from work once then drove it the garage the following day. Although the tyre didn't look damaged I opted for a new tyre due to the distance I had driven without pressure. Although in theory if kept inflated ie screw still in and not losing much air pressure you may still be able to have it repaired (dependant on where abouts on the tyre the repair needs doing).

I couldn't imagine trying to change a wheel especially on the off side on a busy road with traffic hurtling by. However, that's what breakdown is for I suppose.

You can buy a space saver though if required.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 08:07 AM   #17
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunjas View Post

Knowing that manty cars don't have any spare, space saver, or mobility kit these days, we can argue a run-flat optioned car has advantages.

BMW's blurb on Run-flats... Improved safety is part of BMW's reason for fitting them.

Quote:
These tyres offer several advantages:
- Increased active safety: Maintain control of your vehicle and continue driving, even with a sudden loss of tyre pressure.
- No need to pull over: Punctured tyres no longer need to be changed on the spot. This is especially helpful in dangerous situations such as, on the side of a highway or busy road, during night, in tunnels or in the rain.
- Automatic warning system: All BMW vehicles with Run-flat tyres come with a tyre failure indicator system (RPA).
- Save space: With no need to carry a spare tyre, you save space and shed extra weight, increasing fuel efficiency and reducing fuel costs.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 11:13 AM   #18
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerous_al View Post
Exactly, so there’s no point having run flats!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 11:26 AM   #19
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Viair make the best compressors
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 03:51 PM   #20
SW6Steve
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsea_Tractor View Post
What would be the correct portable compressor for 19' wheels?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 04:26 PM   #21
1 AKY
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F11 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW6Steve View Post
Don't buy one for 18" wheels. It'll be too small
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 11:14 PM   #22
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW6Steve View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsea_Tractor View Post
https://www.viaircorp.com/portables

I have the 77P. It doesn't have any issues with 18"
Appreciate 0