ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-21-2008, 10:03 PM   #1
Z FORE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93 Convertible

Unhappy Clay Bar

I spent Saturday detailing my new 06 roadster. It came out looking great, but I put a plastic bag over my fingers and rubbed them over the car. I can still feel a LOT of contaminates in the paint. I already used a Zaino clay bar once. Is there a better clay bar out there for this process? When I used the Zaino, I could actually see the contaminates in the clay bar, so I know it was working, but there is a bunch more. Do I need a more agressive clay bar? Any suggestions? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 11:12 PM   #2
speedygirl
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si, Jet Black

I have used Pinacle Ultra Poly Clay (purchased from Auto Geek) on several occasions on my 2006 si with good results. Paint feels smooth as silk when done. This is a pretty mild clay which can be used frequently (monthly). More aggressive clay has more abrasive and should be used less often. Personally, I would be concerned about using a more aggressive clay as you can marr the paint. I am still new at this, so maybe someone else with more experience can chime in.
      07-21-2008, 11:53 PM   #3
jmillet
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Hyundai IONIQ 6 SEL AWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z FORE View Post
I spent Saturday detailing my new 06 roadster. It came out looking great, but I put a plastic bag over my fingers and rubbed them over the car. I can still feel a LOT of contaminates in the paint. I already used a Zaino clay bar once. Is there a better clay bar out there for this process? When I used the Zaino, I could actually see the contaminates in the clay bar, so I know it was working, but there is a bunch more. Do I need a more agressive clay bar? Any suggestions? Thanks!
Both the Zaino and Griot's clay are very mild abrasives. Meguiar's make two grades of clay: mild and aggressive. The mild is slightly more abrasive than Zaino and the aggressive is just that; very abrasive.
It's better to clay the paint two or three times with a mild clay and avoid clay induced swirls rather than start with an aggressive clay and end up with lots of swirls.
I just finished using Griot's clay and finished with Rejex sealant. Got a mirror smooth finish.
Name:  Chinook Pass Tour 2008.jpg
Views: 1393
Size:  94.7 KB

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 08:49 AM   #4
Z FORE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93 Convertible

I have been using mostly Zaino products for the last 3 years. How do you like the Rejex? That is what my brother uses on his vette and he seems to like it.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 01:55 PM   #5
jmillet
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Hyundai IONIQ 6 SEL AWD

Garage List
Thumbs up I'm impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z FORE View Post
I have been using mostly Zaino products for the last 3 years. How do you like the Rejex? That is what my brother uses on his vette and he seems to like it.
My first time using Rejex sealant and I'm impressed. Assuming your paint is squeaky clean the Rejex goes on very evenly by hand with a microfiber pad and after five or ten minutes dry time it wipes off fairly easily using microfiber. After letting it cure overnight the finish is rock hard and very shiny. I can't comment on its durability yet.
It's great for light colored paints including Imola Red. For dark paint I prefer to use a wax like P21S as it gives a softer, more warm look rather than the plastic look of a sealant.
I had been using the new Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax 2.0 which is also a polymer sealant not a wax. It's also a good sealant product and doesn't streak like the first generation NXT Tech Wax.
I use the Zaino Z-2 on the 3M Scotchgard clear mask surfaces as it doesn't leave a white residue on the edges.
We've got our BMW Club Concours coming up this Sunday so the Rejex is under scrutiny.

Name:  2006 BMWCCA Concours 2.jpg
Views: 1728
Size:  148.5 KB

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 10:36 PM   #6
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
Sorry to revive an old thread. I figure I'd revive this instead of start a new one.

How often do you guys use a clay bar before tossing it out? I just looked at my car closely under the sun and I have light scratches now. I didn't have any when I first bought it used from the dealer. I'm thinking it is because I over used the clay bar.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 11:26 PM   #7
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries326 View Post
Sorry to revive an old thread. I figure I'd revive this instead of start a new one.

How often do you guys use a clay bar before tossing it out? I just looked at my car closely under the sun and I have light scratches now. I didn't have any when I first bought it used from the dealer. I'm thinking it is because I over used the clay bar.
Whenever you use clay bar (even brand new). You will haze and swirl the paint.

You're taking containment and grinding it over the paint. You're removing it, yes...but at the same time you're grinding it over the paint as you remove more.

You always need to polish after clay bar.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 11:48 AM   #8
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
Whenever you use clay bar (even brand new). You will haze and swirl the paint.

You're taking containment and grinding it over the paint. You're removing it, yes...but at the same time you're grinding it over the paint as you remove more.

You always need to polish after clay bar.
Got it! Thanks! I didn't know that the polishing part was a must. I'll have to get a polisher and nail that skill down too. I think now that I've got a nice car. I've got the detailing bug. I've detailed my honda, the old jeep cherokee and the Acadia. I've done more waxing and cleaning since I got my Z4 than I have my entire life combined.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #9
gcochard
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillet View Post
Looks like the coupe cartel showed up.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 01:07 PM   #10
Loogey Clapp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si

Quote:
Are you using a "lubricant" when you clay your car? Griot's says to spray their Speed Shine on the area just before you clay it. It acts as a lubricant so that you don't get them swirls and scratches. However, it's still a good idea to polish it after claying and before you seal and wax.
      10-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #11
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loogey Clapp View Post
Quote:
Are you using a "lubricant" when you clay your car? Griot's says to spray their Speed Shine on the area just before you clay it. It acts as a lubricant so that you don't get them swirls and scratches. However, it's still a good idea to polish it after claying and before you seal and wax.
I used the Meguiars clay bar kit that included the quick detailing spray as the lubricant. How often in a year should you claybar and polish? I imagine it really is dependent on how often you use your car and the environment it is exposed to. But there's got to be a downside to claybarring and polishing too much.
      10-19-2011, 09:05 AM   #12
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

Quote:
I used the Meguiars clay bar kit that included the quick detailing spray as the lubricant. How often in a year should you claybar and polish? I imagine it really is dependent on how often you use your car and the environment it is exposed to. But there's got to be a downside to claybarring and polishing too much.
If you take care of your car and keep a layer of wax on it... you should only have to polish and clay once per year.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 02:30 PM   #13
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
How to use Claybar video.

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 09:12 PM   #14
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

I know this thread is revived, but mothers clay is an aggressive clay and the milder it gets, well means milder with less ability to remove contaminants at the leisure of having less paint correcting to do after.

Plain and simply, you didn't clay enough or in that short time frame you picked up more contaminants...living near railroads, and industrial areas play a large role, as well as the brake pads your using

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #15
RichardTS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 & Z4 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loogey Clapp View Post
Quote:
Use the lubricant and keep the clay and surface wet. Do not rub. You will know the right level of lubricant and pressure because the clay will easily slide on the surface. If it doesn't you are too dry or applying too much pressure and you will scratch your paint.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 01:27 AM   #16
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
The above directions is different from what I've read on other blogs. I've read that the best thing to do is to split up the clay bar into pieces to cover the hood, roof, different panels and to only use it once. Any comments?

Still trying to decide if I should buy a buffer myself and buff out the light scratches or just pay a professional to do it this coming spring.
Appreciate 0