BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Eventuri Intake

02-06-2019, 05:26 PM   #1
M2COMP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5, 2013 550xi, M2C

Eventuri Intake

Appreciate 3
qnet676.00
StavsM2C119.00
      02-11-2019, 08:39 PM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for sharing

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 09:49 AM   #3
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, 991 C2

Really like Imran. Very tempted by the eventuri system for the comp too, but I'm betting its well over £2k. Plus, I've got an eventuri intake for a JCW to buy first for track season
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 07:54 AM   #4
M2C
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i xDrive

Hey guys, since I've installed an Eventuri intake last weekend, I'm wondering about one thing:

When the M2C is in idle and you rev up the engine, there is no intake noise. Whereas, for the S55 in the M3/M4 you do have that intake noise when reving up the engine.

Does anyone know for what reason there is a difference between M2C and M3/M4, although both have the same engine (S55)?

Just to get sure: There is indeed an intake noise while driving for the M2C, but not at idle.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 10:14 AM   #5
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 10:54 AM   #6
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C View Post
Hey guys, since I've installed an Eventuri intake last weekend, I'm wondering about one thing:

When the M2C is in idle and you rev up the engine, there is no intake noise. Whereas, for the S55 in the M3/M4 you do have that intake noise when reving up the engine.

Does anyone know for what reason there is a difference between M2C and M3/M4, although both have the same engine (S55)?

Just to get sure: There is indeed an intake noise while driving for the M2C, but not at idle.
The M2C Eventuri system is "closed", ie the filters have a lid on them that connects them to the OEM intake snorkels and only allows them to breath through the snorkels.

You can clearly see it here in the 3D animation https://www.eventuri.net/products/bm...2-competition/

The M3/M4 Eventuri system is "open", ie the lid does not fully enclose the filters and it allows the filters to suck in air from under the hood and not through the snorkels.

You can clearly see it here in the 3D animation https://www.eventuri.net/products/bmw-f8x-m3m4/

This difference and the fact the M3/4 have an elbow that connects the snorkels to a pair of intakes ahead of the radiator (that is why the M3/4 kits comes with extra scoops placed behind the grill) mean that the Eventuri kit makes more noise on the M3/4 than the M2C.

The M3/4 kit is a bad design, it sucks hot air in from under the hood neting you less power (as discussed with a prominent tuner). Their kits do make for some nice bling though and are well produced.

You can prob trade someone your closed lids for open ones if you want more noise.
      01-09-2020, 03:27 PM   #7
M2C
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Thanks a lot for your detailed answer, Megator. I understand every point, but I meant something different.

To make it more clear:

For sure, the M3/M4 Eventuri should be louder compared to the M2C, because of the missing scoops which leads to some kind of "open" air intake. But even when you leave the scoops off the Eventuri at the M2C, what I did for testing reason, you will not have any sound at all when the car is idling and you rev it up.

Whereas in the M3/M4 you definitely have a loud intake sound when revving it up in idle. For sure, when all of these three cars do run on the road, you have a significant intake sound, but not for the M2C when it stands still.

And that's what I do not get at the moment. The M2C has the same S55 engine as the M3/M4, but there is no intake sound when revving it up in idle. Something must have been changed in the soft- or hardware by BMW for the M2C.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 07:51 PM   #8
EthanEJC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
Quote:

The M2C Eventuri system is "closed", ie the filters have a lid on them that connects them to the OEM intake snorkels and only allows them to breath through the snorkels.

You can clearly see it here in the 3D animation https://www.eventuri.net/products/bm...2-competition/

The M3/M4 Eventuri system is "open", ie the lid does not fully enclose the filters and it allows the filters to suck in air from under the hood and not through the snorkels.

You can clearly see it here in the 3D animation https://www.eventuri.net/products/bmw-f8x-m3m4/

This difference and the fact the M3/4 have an elbow that connects the snorkels to a pair of intakes ahead of the radiator (that is why the M3/4 kits comes with extra scoops placed behind the grill) mean that the Eventuri kit makes more noise on the M3/4 than the M2C.

The M3/4 kit is a bad design, it sucks hot air in from under the hood neting you less power (as discussed with a prominent tuner). Their kits do make for some nice bling though and are well produced.

You can prob trade someone your closed lids for open ones if you want more noise.
So is the M2C one worth getting?? Or Is it just nice engine bay jewellery?? I understand to take full advantage of it you'll need a tune. But for a stock car is it worth it??
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 09:16 PM   #9
MrMiaogi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 LBB M2 Competition

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks a lot for your detailed answer, Megator. I understand every point, but I meant something different.

To make it more clear:

For sure, the M3/M4 Eventuri should be louder compared to the M2C, because of the missing scoops which leads to some kind of "open" air intake. But even when you leave the scoops off the Eventuri at the M2C, what I did for testing reason, you will not have any sound at all when the car is idling and you rev it up.

Whereas in the M3/M4 you definitely have a loud intake sound when revving it up in idle. For sure, when all of these three cars do run on the road, you have a significant intake sound, but not for the M2C when it stands still.

And that's what I do not get at the moment. The M2C has the same S55 engine as the M3/M4, but there is no intake sound when revving it up in idle. Something must have been changed in the soft- or hardware by BMW for the M2C.
Hmmm. I can hear my intake but could be because It's not sealed well? But I did notice it took a good amount of driving before I heard any intake noise. And I only hear it with radio turned off and revving pretty hard above 3K.

I'm trying to figure out if it's actually intake or just too much air being sucked in. I got two fault codes from it.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 02:30 AM   #10
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanEJC View Post
So is the M2C one worth getting?? Or Is it just nice engine bay jewellery?? I understand to take full advantage of it you'll need a tune. But for a stock car is it worth it??
I would say it is 90%+ engine bay bling even for a tuned car. 800whp S55s still run the stock intake. Money is better spent on a stage 2 tune and a decat/sports cat if you want power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMiaogi View Post
Hmmm. I can hear my intake but could be because It's not sealed well? But I did notice it took a good amount of driving before I heard any intake noise. And I only hear it with radio turned off and revving pretty hard above 3K.

I'm trying to figure out if it's actually intake or just too much air being sucked in. I got two fault codes from it.
What are the fault codes? and yeah if you are accidentally sucking air in past the sensors (7 on the diagram below) then you should get fault codes and some surging under medium/hard acceleration.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=13_1995
      01-10-2020, 05:00 AM   #11
M2C
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

I would agree to that. Even with a tune, it is not adding any amount of power. It is just about sound from the front and lovely look underneath your hood ;-)
Appreciate 1
EthanEJC196.50
      01-10-2020, 07:24 PM   #12
EthanEJC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Quote:
I would say it is 90%+ engine bay bling even for a tuned car. 800whp S55s still run the stock intake. Money is better spent on a stage 2 tune and a decat/sports cat if you want power.

Quote:

What are the fault codes? and yeah if you are accidentally sucking air in past the sensors (7 on the diagram below) then you should get fault codes and some surging under medium/hard acceleration.

Do you have any examples of S55's running 800whp with the stock intake???
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 08:16 AM   #13
MrMiaogi
Private
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

P0171 and P0174
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 09:44 AM   #14
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Intakes on almost all modern sports cars are a waste of $. The manufacturers design adequate intake size, shape and flow specs.

On top of that if their are any gains its going to be very high in RPM's.

Everyone can decide how to spend their money on mods but this is NOT one that most S55 owners will invest in. Downpipes & a tune are where the ROI is on this car for power...
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 2
EthanEJC196.50
shoei7778.00
      01-12-2020, 01:54 AM   #15
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAT TIME RULES View Post
Quote:
Intakes on almost all modern sports cars are a waste of $. The manufacturers design adequate intake size, shape and flow specs.

Everyone can decide how to spend their money on mods but this is NOT one that most S55 owners will invest in. Downpipes & a tune are where the ROI is on this car for power...
This... Some cars report a loss in power with aftermarket intakes nowadays... Engineering is on point from factory...

I will say that a closed system is better for certain models... F90's are not responding as well to "open" intake design as opposed to "closed"...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 04:10 AM   #16
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
P0171 and P0174

A quick google shows both those codes relate to the engine running lean (as I suspected).

So either you have a leak past the mass air flow sensors or the mass air flow sensor (MAF) is damaged. It can be other things but look at the things you messed with 1st.

MAF sensors as used by BMW tend to die if your filter is over oiled. However my friend has had an eventuri system for several years without issue on his F80.

You can read more about your problem here:

https://www.engine-codes.com/p0171_bmw.html
https://www.engine-codes.com/p0174_bmw.html

My advice go back to the OEM intake and see if that solves it. If not take it to a mechanic or BMW and play coy (I assume it is still under warranty).

Quote:

100% correct, this ain't the 80/90s anymore, flow simulation has gotten very good and very cheap. Intakes and exhaust are only going to move where the power gets created around, not net you 10+ whp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
This... Some cars report a loss in power with aftermarket intakes nowadays... Engineering is on point from factory...

I will say that a closed system is better for certain models... F90's are not responding as well to "open" intake design as opposed to "closed"...
There is a reason they call them hot air intakes as a joke. Any air that comes from under the hood will always be warmer (on modern cars) as it has been forced through a radiator first. To increase fuel efficiency via reduced drag almost all modern cars have ducted cooling systems and underbody covers. This means you need a snorkel to the outside in order to get colder air into the engine.
      01-13-2020, 04:15 AM   #17
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Do you have any examples of S55's running 800whp with the stock intake???
I went to Pureturbo's Belgium and spoke to the owner at length, he said he tried pretty much every intake combo available and OEM intake + OEM filters always outperformed the other systems. He even showed me the dyno plots to prove it. Their shop car had over 800whp.

The only mod he did was to add a large hole (about the size of a coke can) to the bottom of the filter housing so that the inlet to the filter housing was not a restriction.
      01-13-2020, 06:58 AM   #18
MrMiaogi
Private
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
P0171 and P0174

A quick google shows both those codes relate to the engine running lean (as I suspected).

So either you have a leak past the mass air flow sensors or the mass air flow sensor (MAF) is damaged. It can be other things but look at the things you messed with 1st.

MAF sensors as used by BMW tend to die if your filter is over oiled. However my friend has had an eventuri system for several years without issue on his F80.

You can read more about your problem here:

https://www.engine-codes.com/p0171_bmw.html
https://www.engine-codes.com/p0174_bmw.html

My advice go back to the OEM intake and see if that solves it. If not take it to a mechanic or BMW and play coy (I assume it is still under warranty).

Quote:

100% correct, this ain't the 80/90s anymore, flow simulation has gotten very good and very cheap. Intakes and exhaust are only going to move where the power gets created around, not net you 10+ whp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post

There is a reason they call them hot air intakes as a joke. Any air that comes from under the hood will always be warmer (on modern cars) as it has been forced through a radiator first. To increase fuel efficiency via reduced drag almost all modern cars have ducted cooling systems and underbody covers. This means you need a snorkel to the outside in order to get colder air into the engine.
BMW already replaced to stock. This is a dry cone so no oil problem. I also find it hard to believe these errors came up after 1,000 miles of use. Only came up after my battery died.

Regardless, problem is solved for now.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 01:37 PM   #19
Big Fabri
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Lamborghini Huracan

Quote:

couldn't agree more. if it's a cool factor then I'm good with it.if it's a matter of performance ...neh... a couple of bmc ( or other brand you like) and you are good to go. the fun parts is that everybody want huge pipe but the turbo inlet pipe vanish pretty much everything . this is why I don't have any cold air intake in my m2c. funny that they run tests on dyno without showing more data from external sources like intake air temperature
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 09:23 AM   #20
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fabri View Post
couldn't agree more. if it's a cool factor then I'm good with it.if it's a matter of performance ...neh... a couple of bmc ( or other brand you like) and you are good to go. the fun parts is that everybody want huge pipe but the turbo inlet pipe vanish pretty much everything . this is why I don't have any cold air intake in my m2c. funny that they run tests on dyno without showing more data from external sources like intake air temperature
The guy at pure turbos also tested K&N and BMC filters and found that OEM paper ones flowed better.

So save the cash and change the OEM filters every 10k-20k km if you really want max breathing.
      01-14-2020, 09:28 AM   #21
Big Fabri
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Lamborghini Huracan

Quote:
Quote:
The guy at pure turbos also tested K&N and BMC filters and found that OEM paper ones flowed better.

So save the cash and change the OEM filters every 10k-20k km if you really want max breathing.
On my tests done on other cars showed differently. Lower intake vacuum and lower temperature due to a better flow.. It is easier to se the fuel trims to understand. Not s55 related by I have many cars data
      01-14-2020, 10:38 AM   #22
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
On my tests done on other cars showed differently. Lower intake vacuum and lower temperature due to a better flow.. It is easier to se the fuel trims to understand. Not s55 related by I have many cars data
What kinda % gains are we talking about? Just curious not trying to be combative, I just know you have a lot of experience.