BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Is the regular Key Fob rechargeable?

01-31-2019, 08:51 AM   #1
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Is the regular Key Fob rechargeable?

Seems like it's not, and in that case how long does it last (3~4 years)?
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2019, 08:53 AM   #2
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
Seems like it's not, and in that case how long does it last (3~4 years)?
Negative. Some use the 2032 battery and some use others. They do last at least three years. I actually just received some last night!
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      01-31-2019, 09:05 AM   #3
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
ok, CVS is within walking distance, so I won't bother to have a spares around..., guess I'll pop the other key to see if it's 2032
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2019, 02:25 PM   #4
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
ok, CVS is within walking distance, so I won't bother to have a spares around..., guess I'll pop the other key to see if it's 2032
I just change out two of them for my wife's car.
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      01-31-2019, 04:04 PM   #5
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Even if the key goes dead, you can still start the car by holding it next to the mark on steering column.
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      01-31-2019, 04:08 PM   #6
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
Even if the key goes dead, you can still start the car by holding it next to the mark on steering column.
good to know, but I guess for open the door I'll just have to actually watch the video on how to open...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 04:20 PM   #7
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
Quote:
That is exactly right.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 05:17 PM   #8
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Mine lasted almost 2 years. Changed myself
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      02-01-2019, 03:37 PM   #9
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Nope, they use a watch battery.

The older E-chassis era keyfobs (Without comfort opening) did recharge when the fob was placed and inserted into the dash keyfob slot. That was the BEST system in my humble opinion.

Removing the key fob slot from the dashboard was a stupid/dumb move just to cater to the mindless trend of keyless entry.

There was nothing wrong with metal keys and much less with the older rechargeable key fobs.
Attached Images

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 03:38 PM   #10
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post

The older E-chassis era keyfobs (Without comfort opening) did recharge when the fob was placed and inserted into the dash keyfob slot. That was the BEST system in my humble opinion.

Removing the key fob slot from the dashboard was a stupid/dumb move just to cater to the mindless trend of keyless entry.

There was nothing wrong with metal keys and much less with the older rechargeable key fobs.
CR32 battery for that key fob if you have comfort access.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 03:41 PM   #11
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Quote:

Lol, I don't have comfort opening but I gather it's likely the same exact battery cell?

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2019, 03:42 PM   #12
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Correct. The comfort opening in the E chassis made you forgo the rechargeable battery.

Again very dumb.

Appreciate 1
      02-01-2019, 03:44 PM   #13
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Lol, I don't have comfort opening but I gather it's likely the same exact battery cell?
No, it's different on the key bob without comfort access. I only know this because I just changed my wife's 2015 X1 battery just yesterday and I had to look it up. The key fobs looks the same on the front, but the cover on the back is different and has to unsoldered and soldered back with the new battery if you don't have comfort access.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 03:49 PM   #14
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No, it's different on the key bob without comfort access. I only know this because I just changed my wife's 2015 X1 battery just yesterday and I had to look it up. The key fobs looks the same on the front, but the cover on the back is different and has to unsoldered and soldered back with the new battery if you don't have comfort access.
Makes sense.

The dash slot made the system safer and more fool proof. The slot would not release the key until the car was in park with the engine off, pretty much like an old metal key ignition.

Now days distracted and absent minded people exit their cars and leave their engines running increasing the chance of all kinds of dangers. There was nothing wrong with that slot. It was a safety feature of sorts. It still amazes me
How car manufacturers managed to circumvent legislature with these modern keyless systems.

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 03:51 PM   #15
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Makes sense.

The dash slot made the system safer and more fool proof. The slot would not release the key until the car was in park with the engine off, pretty much like an old metal key ignition.

Now days distracted and absent minded people exit their cars and leave their engines running increasing the chance of all kinds of dangers. There was nothing wrong with that slot. It was a safety feature of sorts. It still amazes me
How car manufacturers managed to circumvent legislature with these modern keyless systems.
That's why the cars honk at you by default when you leave with your key and the engine running. I think most of us on here code that crap off.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 03:55 PM   #16
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Makes sense.

That's why the cars honk at you by default when you leave with your key and the engine running. I think most of us on here code that crap off.
Honestly never tried to exit the car with the engine running. Now I am curious...

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 03:56 PM   #17
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Makes sense.

Honestly never tried to exit the car with the engine running. Now I am curious...
Not sure it will with that key fob.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 03:59 PM   #18
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Makes sense.

Not sure it will with that key fob.
Probably that is coded on newer cars?

In my 2017 you can permanently disable ASS from the dash button. It is my understanding that 2018+ cars, ASS can still be turned off but it is enabled by default next time the car is turned on.

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 10:53 PM   #19
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I would have agree with you until I start to use comfort access all the time, it never even left my pocket which I guess is not "fail safe"...
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2019, 03:34 AM   #20
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport '21

2 years almost exactly for me

Just changed my CR2032 battery yesterday, was getting an onscreen warning that battery was low (proximity for starting engine)
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 07:53 AM   #21
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedpause View Post
Just changed my CR2032 battery yesterday, was getting an onscreen warning that battery was low (proximity for starting engine)
FYI, you can still start the engine even if the battery is completely dead. You just have to hold the key near the start button.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 08:26 AM   #22
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
How long did it last you?
Appreciate 0