BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-28-2019, 09:45 AM   #1
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Tire and wheel weights

Switched to snow tires and was really surprised by the weight of the wheel/tire package. 70 lb per corner on the high performance winter tires and decent wheels. Michelin Pilot Alpines SUV non run flat at 35 lb and OZ racing MVR type 49 wheel at 35lb.

Was surprised to hear from tire rack that it is on the light side of truck tire packages. Run flat tires and bigger diameter 21, 22 can go up to 90 lb per corner. WOW all that unsprung weight

I guess i'm used to dealing with track tires adn wheels for the past 10 years. never went over 18 inch and car tires and race rims are super light. 40LB or less per corner.

It is my first SUV, so i was wondering whats the experience with light rims? I found some 19lb rims that will fit, but will the 6000lb Suv destroy those on US potholes and poor roads?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003OIO3G2...v_ov_lig_dp_it

What about summer performance tires?
Latitude? Diamaris? Any experience with those on X5M or 5.0 x5 for aggressive driving?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 09:57 AM   #2
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
Switched to snow tires and was really surprised by the weight of the wheel/tire package. 70 lb per corner on the high performance winter tires and decent wheels. Michelin Pilot Alpines SUV non run flat at 35 lb and OZ racing MVR type 49 wheel at 35lb.

Was surprised to hear from tire rack that it is on the light side of truck tire packages. Run flat tires and bigger diameter 21, 22 can go up to 90 lb per corner. WOW all that unsprung weight

I guess i'm used to dealing with track tires adn wheels for the past 10 years. never went over 18 inch and car tires and race rims are super light. 40LB or less per corner.

It is my first SUV, so i was wondering whats the experience with light rims? I found some 19lb rims that will fit, but will the 6000lb Suv destroy those on US potholes and poor roads?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003OIO3G2...v_ov_lig_dp_it

What about summer performance tires?
Latitude? Diamaris? Any experience with those on X5M or 5.0 x5 for aggressive driving?
Those TWS are more suited for a Vdub. A SUV is a different ballgame with different standards of what is lightweight. You are going to pay a lot for proper forged SUV wheels.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 10:52 AM   #3
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Those TWS are more suited for a Vdub. A SUV is a different ballgame with different standards of what is lightweight. You are going to pay a lot for proper forged SUV wheels.
Thank you. Do you have any examples?

What makes them more suitable for SUV. How is one forged wheel different from another? it is difficult even to research - not many publish weights
I like BBS wheels but always got middle of the road ones for racing since they get destroyed at the track with dust and heat. 500-600 dollars a piece. I know they have custom wheels for 2400 a piece but there must be some middle ground. what about Asanti?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 10:57 AM   #4
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

You need to think more “truck” wheels with our weight. High quality BBS would be where I would start. I have owned BBS and HRE. Nothing for this vehicle is going to be cheap if you want a quality forged wheel. There is no way around it. After a bit of research you will learn to appreciate how good the factory wheels are.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 11:06 AM   #5
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
as other have said don't cut corners on quality wheels. HRE, BBS or any other TUV certified wheel maker is where I'd start. I love HRE wheels but don't want to drop $8k on a set for my X5 right now.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0