BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-26-2019, 04:00 PM   #1
mark@rh
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Bought "Replika" RIMs for my X4 M40i (oh boy what a mistake)

First, guys the BIMMER I've got "X3 M40i" 2018 is the first ever BMW I bought after driving Toyota for decades. Toyotas aren't bad, but after driving my M40i for about half year I can tell that I know what the "pure joy of driving" means. I still take my wife's 2018 Highlander (which is a good car) to a gas station to fill her tank, but (oh boy) it feels so weird after my M40i.

Second, guys NEVER buy RIMs form the company called "Replika", and here is why.

Last Septemner (2018) I contacted my tire-shop guy and asked him what are the direct-fit option I have for 19" RIMs and tires for my (2018) X3 M40i. He gave me a bunch of websites and the first in that list was "www.replika.ca", he also noticed that Replika is known for producing direct-fit RIMs (meaning: if they claim it is for your car then no spacers and no hub centric rings required).

So, I've picked "R198" on their website and I put my order on November 3.

Troubles started right away.

Normally it takes 2 to 4 business day get RIMs from a supplier but this time it took about three weeks. The tire-shop guy called me that they got a box and I can drop by this evening. I was kinda very happy because in Toronto we already had a couple of tiny snowfalls and M40i comes with summer (not all-season) tires, so I could not wait much longer.

However, when I was on my way to the tire-shop he called me again and informed that they sent the wrong size - they sent 18" not 19". Eventually, it took another week for 19" to be delivered.

Hoewer, when these 19" were installed the tire-shop guy informed me that these RIMs are NOT direct-fit, instead they require spacers to be installed. So, this Replika company sent NOT what was advertised, instead, they sent NOT direct-fit RIMs along with the fitting devices (the spacers). This tire-shop guy had no choice but to install whatever he got because I cannot drive this car on snow on summer tires. But he promised to contact this supplier (the Replika) and ask them for replacement.

He contacted Replika and they told him that spacer is not a big deal and they consider these RIMs to be a direct-fit. But when I contacted their representative (Tylor Hume-Sauve) he told me that they had a manufacturing defect but since these RIMs are already in use they cannot replace them.

So, this Replika company delayed and delayed delivery until I could not wait anymore, then they sent a defective (not direct-fit) RIMs and I ended up spending $3,500 for NOT a direct-fit winter set which I could buy for a half price. Now, I will need to buy other direct-fit RIMs and pay for tire remounting on these new RIMs and somehow dispose of these not direct-fit RIMs that Replika sold me.

Guys, did you have a similar experience with this Replika company, or it is just my bad luck?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 05:05 PM   #2
ContactPatch
Major
Rep
Drives: It's Quick!

Contact your credit card company (assuming you paid with a card) and tell them you got ripped off be a deceitful company. If they cannot help then do the following.

I would write them an email (plus regular stamped mail) saying: You will post all over the car forums (for the rest of your life if need be) what an awful company Replika is, if they do not make good on your purchase. Show them this link and all links you post to and they will get the message. If they don't see the damage you can inflict and do not offer a solution they have some serious issues.

Good Luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 05:15 PM   #3
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Some Canadian folks posted a positive experience with replika brand wheels. See the various snow / winter set threads

However, I do agree that I would not like to be deceived. If the wheels they sent do not match what you purchased / the description the I would challenge the charge or ask for a big discount to cover labor and the spacers at a minimum.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 09:01 AM   #4
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Reviving this thread. This is super odd because I purchased these exact wheels in the fall of '18 for my (then) M40i. They were 19" wheels, along with some Blizzaks. Both have been awesome so far, zero issues. In fact, I ported them over to my (now) '20 X3MC this past fall. Both the rims/tires have been great so far; even the dealer that I've been using for years has been great.

Sorry for your troubles OP. I hope you managed to get it sorted out to your satisfaction.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0