BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Are OPFs mandatory in the UK?

01-26-2019, 11:49 AM   #1
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Are OPFs mandatory in the UK?

Hi all,

I'm travelling to LightWeight Performance in Germany in April to get a new exhaust fitted to my M2 Comp and I wanted to know if I have to have the OPFs fitted if I'm based in the UK as opposed to mainland Europe?

Common sense says I will have to have them as we are still part of the EU (for the time being), but it would be good to get some clarity if anyone has more insight on this. I know LightWeight have an alternative exhaust for the US market without OPFs and I'd love to have that one installed, but I'm not overly optimistic that I can.

Cheers,

Karl
      01-27-2019, 12:34 PM   #2
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlosm2c View Post
Hi all,

I'm travelling to LightWeight Performance in Germany in April to get a new exhaust fitted to my M2 Comp and I wanted to know if I have to have the OPFs fitted if I'm based in the UK as opposed to mainland Europe?

Common sense says I will have to have them as we are still part of the EU (for the time being), but it would be good to get some clarity if anyone has more insight on this. I know LightWeight have an alternative exhaust for the US market without OPFs and I'd love to have that one installed, but I'm not overly optimistic that I can.

Cheers,

Karl
Check your PM, Karl! I replied to you. OPF removal makes your car illegal because your CoC is not compliant with the state the car is in and specifically on the matter of emissions. If you want to stay legal, keep the OPFs and buy a homologated slip-on. If you want to go illegal, then go for it and have loads of fun!

Don't forget to disable your back pressure sensors on the downpipes and EC tune the car accordingly. If you don't do it, then on your way back to the UK you will have to stand still on the hard shoulder a lot switching your car on and off to get your car out of limp mode.

MR
Appreciate 1
Karlosm2c290.50
      01-27-2019, 02:08 PM   #3
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Karlosm2c,

Yes removing OPF is technically illegal but as there is no test for the OPF come MOT time in UK no one will ever know. But you will need some kind of remap to stop the fault codes coming up if you remove OPF.

Same as removing CATS which people have been doing for years, but for CAT removal you will fail MOT of course unless you keep secondary CATS which are now replaced by OPF!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 02:11 PM   #4
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Karlosm2c,

Yes removing OPF is technically illegal but as there is no test for the OPF come MOT time in UK no one will ever know. But you will need some kind of remap to stop the fault codes coming up if you remove OPF.

Same as removing CATS which people have been doing for years, but for CAT removal you will fail MOT of course unless you keep secondary CATS which are now replaced by OPF!
Thanks Doughboy.
I think I'll be keeping the OPF version of the exhaust to save me the hassle of remapping, etc. It will also avoid warrantee issues with BMW also, so I've been told
      01-28-2019, 06:55 AM   #5
doughboy
Major General
Rep

I agree. You can always add the opf delete pipes later anyway if you wish so you're not ruling it out permanently.

BMW could get stroppy about the non approved exhaust too of they needed to.

I've been looking at the stainless Lightweight systems myself.

Are you doing Ti or stainless?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 07:58 AM   #6
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I agree. You can always add the opf delete pipes later anyway if you wish so you're not ruling it out permanently.

BMW could get stroppy about the non approved exhaust too of they needed to.

I've been looking at the stainless Lightweight systems myself.

Are you doing Ti or stainless?
I'm going for stainless steel. If the cost of the OGM2 titanium exhaust by Lightweight is anything to go by I really don't fancy the cost for the Comp!! I know I'll rarely be looking at the underside of the car, but I love the look of this exhaust. For me it looks way better than anything else on the market. Sounds great as well from the clips I've heard. I'm going for the data display as well. Have you seen the clips showing how that works? It looks like a really handy piece of kit.

Are you considering any other exhausts?
      01-28-2019, 08:20 AM   #7
doughboy
Major General
Rep

I also think stainless sounds deeper than Ti, better IMO.

Ti system is on Lightweight website, yes expensive.

I'm considering miltek too but just waiting to see developments with OPF removal in the tuning forums before i jump in.

I'd be happy to delete OPF, and fit sport Cat DPs too. That way will pass MOT.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 08:25 AM   #8
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I also think stainless sounds deeper than Ti, better IMO.

Ti system is on Lightweight website, yes expensive.

I'm considering miltek too but just waiting to see developments with OPF removal in the tuning forums before i jump in.

I'd be happy to delete OPF, and fit sport Cat DPs too. That way will pass MOT.
Trouble is with me is that I'm just a bit too impatient, but sometimes it good to go with your gut feel. Plus, I'm going over the Easter Bank Holiday weekend so myself and the missus are making the most of it by spending 5 nights in a few different cities in Germany. I'm not sure there will be many takers out there for the old exhaust but, like the brakes, it's probably worth keeping the exhaust so I can put back to standard if/when I sell the car.
      01-28-2019, 01:42 PM   #9
doughboy
Major General
Rep

How will you get the old exhaust home?

On a roofrack lol 😆
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 01:46 PM   #10
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
How will you get the old exhaust home?

On a roofrack lol 😆
Ha, I asked Marc at LightWeight that. They are going to cut the exhaust at the most convenient section, wrap it up in two sections and provide clamps to put back together should I ever want to put it back on. They seem to know what they are doing so I trust that will work ok. It's a good thing I chose the rear folding seat option 😂 Either that or they ship it back to me.
      01-29-2019, 03:45 PM   #11
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Ha, I asked Marc at LightWeight that. They are going to cut the exhaust at the most convenient section, wrap it up in two sections and provide clamps to put back together should I ever want to put it back on. They seem to know what they are doing so I trust that will work ok. It's a good thing I chose the rear folding seat option 😂 Either that or they ship it back to me.
I hope it fits in the back if the cut is done correctly, but Marc knows what to do Just leave from the UK with an empty trunk else you might run into space issues.

MR
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 03:49 PM   #12
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Quote:
I hope it fits in the back if the cut is done correctly, but Marc knows what to do Just leave from the UK with an empty trunk else you might run into space issues.

MR
Marc,

I was literally just thinking about this as I'm watching a video of Ricky from Living Life Fast on YouTube having an Armytrix exhaust fitted to his M4. They are longer than I thought and he might well have to cut it in more than two pieces. In fact, I'm going to email him now to follow up on this. And yes, we will just be small weekend bags with us to maximise space.

Cheers
      01-29-2019, 03:52 PM   #13
doughboy
Major General
Rep

No room for stacks of cheap Euro booze in the boot! (while we're still in the EU )
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 03:54 PM   #14
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
No room for stacks of cheap Euro booze in the boot! (while we're still in the EU )
Ha, if I have booze (especially wine) in my house I drink it, which doesn't always end well for me 😂
      01-29-2019, 04:02 PM   #15
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Anyway, I just wanted to remind myself of the Lightweight full exhaust on the M2C:

I know everyone has their own taste, but I am really impressed with the note on this one and I hope it sounds just as good in person!