BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-24-2019, 05:18 PM   #1
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Botched Recall / Software Update

Tuesday morning I brought my new X5 in for a few minor issues. They mentioned there was a recall requiring a software update that they were going to apply while it was in.

Now at the end of day three, the vehicle is still in the shop because the update went wrong. Apparently the instrument cluster will not come on. They said on Wednesday they had a meeting with BMW corporate, and today they hooked it up to some data link from a team at BMW in New Jersey, but it still isn't fixed. Now they are saying they have to assemble a "puma team" (???) from corporate to figure out what to do next, and they have no idea when I'll get my car back.

Hard to believe that 2 months in it seems my new X5 has been bricked. Has anyone else experienced this?

Hoping that they figure out whatever botched the software update on my car so that you all will have a more smooth update when you bring your X5 in!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 05:29 PM   #2
TechCTU
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post
Tuesday morning I brought my new X5 in for a few minor issues. They mentioned there was a recall requiring a software update that they were going to apply while it was in.

Now at the end of day three, the vehicle is still in the shop because the update went wrong. Apparently the instrument cluster will not come on. They said on Wednesday they had a meeting with BMW corporate, and today they hooked it up to some data link from a team at BMW in New Jersey, but it still isn't fixed. Now they are saying they have to assemble a "puma team" (???) from corporate to figure out what to do next, and they have no idea when I'll get my car back.

Hard to believe that 2 months in it seems my new X5 has been bricked. Has anyone else experienced this?

Hoping that they figure out whatever botched the software update on my car so that you all will have a more smooth update when you bring your X5 in!
Sorry to hear that. Keep us updated.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 08:12 PM   #3
salfeet84
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

Quote:

Mine had a similar issue...no apps no weather...not able to login to my connected drive profile from the car...they never told me if the cluster wasn't coming on but my car spent a full week at dealer only after taking delivery by 1 week...it was solved thankfully but frustrating as shit...they told me bmw had to login to my car remotely and fix it... hope yours gets fixed fast
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 08:42 PM   #4
BmwGk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i Msport

Service center told me a story about a guy who took delivery in December and this happened to him 2x and they gave him a new vehicle. Vehicle wasn't disable but the cluster kept going out and he couldn't view his speedo, etc
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 05:34 PM   #5
X5_CC
Captain
Rep

My X5 just spent Day 7 at the dealer. No news at all... service advisor says it is still with the "Puma team" and beyond their control. I can still pull the 360 camera views from the car. Every day last week my X5 was in the service garage in the "programming bay," but ever since Friday evening it has been parked out back stacked behind a bunch of other cars.

I called BMW NA Customer Service on Friday, and they said they would assign a case manager. I called again today, and they gave me the name and transferred me to voicemail of a case manager, but no call back.

Does anyone have any advice for what to do next or have experience with such a situation? It is frustrating how little information I am able to get. Every request for an update is "no news." I'm afraid this is going to extend on for weeks, and I just want to make it clear to the right people that I don't find that acceptable.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 05:39 PM   #6
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

I hope they gave you a real nice loaner.

COL(Ret), US Army Hagerstown MD
2019 X5 40i MSport Alpine White/Coffee (my 13th BMW)
2015 Mercedes SL400; 2009 Lexus RX350
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 05:39 PM   #7
mnewnam
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 Mineral White X5MC

Quote:
My X5 just spent Day 7 at the dealer. No news at all... service advisor says it is still with the "Puma team" and beyond their control. I can still pull the 360 camera views from the car. Every day last week my X5 was in the service garage in the "programming bay," but ever since Friday evening it has been parked out back stacked behind a bunch of other cars.

I called BMW NA Customer Service on Friday, and they said they would assign a case manager. I called again today, and they gave me the name and transferred me to voicemail of a case manager, but no call back.

Does anyone have any advice for what to do next or have experience with such a situation? It is frustrating how little information I am able to get. Every request for an update is "no news." I'm afraid this is going to extend on for weeks, and I just want to make it clear to the right people that I don't find that acceptable.
I went through this kind of thing when ours broke down. I eventually had to get the dealer GM to get involved bc I couldn't get a straight answer out of anyone. However in my case no one was responding to me and I went to that extreme when it had been 2 days of 0 communication from the dealer or BMW NA. It was at a dealer out of town that I had no relationship with.

And my case manager at BMW NA took a week to get back to me. She did get all my expenses approved and reimbursed though.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 05:41 PM   #8
TechCTU
Major
Rep

Sounds like your system was bricked due to a failed software update.

The dealership needs to push. It will be very hard to get through from the outside.

I would escalate to the general manager of the dealership and keep calling for daily updates.

I would say who is expected to cover the monthly payments if the car is not functioning. Make sure you get fair treatment.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 05:45 PM   #9
sumsuv
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 Week 45 build

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCTU View Post
Sounds like your system was bricked due to a failed software update.

The dealership needs to push. It will be very hard to get through from the outside.

I would escalate to the general manager of the dealership and keep calling for daily updates.

I would say who is expected to cover the monthly payments if the car is not functioning. Make sure you get fair treatment.
My car spent two weeks for the same issue. I didn't mind because I had a loaner and was putting miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 06:16 PM   #10
X5_CC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
My car spent two weeks for the same issue. I didn't mind because I had a loaner and was putting miles on it.
Wow. I found your post where you described it. Did they replace the actual cluster screen or just a control module for it? I can't understand how a software update can actually permanently render a physical display dead. Ultimately I am just worried that they'll have to tear apart the dash... I really don't want it to come to that
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 02:28 PM   #11
X5_CC
Captain
Rep

Well, today is day 18 with no additional information or status update. Still no word on when I might get my X5 back; it is still sitting out back at the dealership.

I've been bounced to a second department within BMW Corporate (Customer Care?). I spoke with someone from that department a couple of days ago to begin discussing my options, and as of today they still have no update. It seems as if BMW Corporate is built to stall and buy time -- every time you talk to someone, they promise to get back "in 3-5 business days."

I would like some perspective from others. Is this a ridiculous situation? Am I being too impatient? They have provided me a G05 loaner, albeit base model without many of the options my own G05 has. I am just tired of my property being held up at a service department with absolutely no update.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 02:37 PM   #12
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
I would like some perspective from others. Is this a ridiculous situation? Am I being too impatient? They have provided me a G05 loaner, albeit base model without many of the options my own G05 has. I am just tired of my property being held up at a service department with absolutely no update.
I don't think you are being impatient at all, I'm sure I would be bugging them. Unfortunately the way the Texas Lemon Law is written, it appears you wouldn't be eligible under the 30 days out of service because they gave you a loaner. It specifies a comparable loaner but doubt you can use lack of options for that.

I guess the best is to keep bugging them and any contacts at BMW that you can get ahold of.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 02:43 PM   #13
OMGU812
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

18 days?! What kind of loaner did they give you?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 02:54 PM   #14
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

Quote:
Well, today is day 18 with no additional information or status update. Still no word on when I might get my X5 back; it is still sitting out back at the dealership.

I've been bounced to a second department within BMW Corporate (Customer Care?). I spoke with someone from that department a couple of days ago to begin discussing my options, and as of today they still have no update. It seems as if BMW Corporate is built to stall and buy time -- every time you talk to someone, they promise to get back "in 3-5 business days."

Can you bail on this dealer and take it somewhere else?

COL(Ret), US Army Hagerstown MD
2019 X5 40i MSport Alpine White/Coffee (my 13th BMW)
2015 Mercedes SL400; 2009 Lexus RX350
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 02:57 PM   #15
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Cannot wait for the software update
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 03:06 PM   #16
X5_CC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorin1249 View Post

Can you bail on this dealer and take it somewhere else?
Well, the only technical information I've gotten is that the instrument panel doesn't come on. So who knows. They say they've got a "Puma case" open with corporate and that it is awaiting a software update. The question I cannot get a good answer to is why they can't just load the same software that a working X5 is running or the same software my car was delivered with!

As for the question above, they gave me a G05 X5 loaner.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 03:41 PM   #17
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Well, the only technical information I've gotten is that the instrument panel doesn't come on. So who knows. They say they've got a "Puma case" open with corporate and that it is awaiting a software update. The question I cannot get a good answer to is why they can't just load the same software that a working X5 is running or the same software my car was delivered with!
Have you tried to set up a meeting with the General Manager of the dealership along with the service manager. Maybe if you all sit down and talk about the steps that are being taken and the ones that aren't not only will you feel better (hopefully) but may light a fire under them.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 04:05 PM   #18
TechCTU
Major
Rep

My guess is it's bricked and they are waiting for parts.

Glad they gave you another X5.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 03:09 PM   #19
Charles549
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50i

Quote:
My guess is it's bricked and they are waiting for parts.

Glad they gave you another X5.
Ditto.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 09:00 PM   #20
X5_CC
Captain
Rep

Now 3 full weeks without my X5.

I got a call from a corporate "liaison" yesterday saying the required software update is expected to be available to dealers March 1, and so only after that my car might get fixed... that would mean I would have been without my brand new X5 for 6 weeks! She said they would compensate me for my troubles, but the amount is not yet determined.

I really would prefer BMW to just replace my car with a new one so I can move on with my life; then they can tinker with the science experiment that is my X5 on their own time Getting no traction with corporate who is being very quiet, even after emailing execs.

Needless to say I am incredibly bummed by how this whole situation has unfolded and how arrogantly disinterested anyone at BMW Corporate is. It is such a major letdown after having been more excited to get this new X5 than any other car I've owned. I only got to enjoy it for 2 months before it was rendered useless
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 09:20 PM   #21
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

That is a terrible situation. I sure hope they really make it worth your while somehow. Even though the loaner car seems to eliminate the 30-day test it may be worth giving the Texas DMV a call and explain the situation. They may have some advice on how to push things along or even on opening a Lemon Law claim. (888) 368-4689
Appreciate 2
X5_CC288.50
      02-12-2019, 09:44 PM   #22
jrjunior41
Rep
Drives: Audi Q8

Been lurking here (first post) and love the forum and all the gorgeous pics of the GO5! I had a first year Macan that was a lemon and I contacted the warranty company and they walked me through all the steps to file a claim in the state of CA. It was not that big a deal and there was no cost, and I didn't need a lawyer. In your situation I would contact the warranty company or whoever handles Lemon Law in Texas immediately. The way BMW is handling the situation is not acceptable imo, you should get a brand new car. Reach out to whomever you can to find out your rights and launch a claim if possible you will feel MUCH better. Best of luck!
Appreciate 1
X5_CC288.50