BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-23-2019, 07:04 PM   #1
EvanF
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

What's wrong with the trunk???

Had my 2019 3.0 X3 for three weeks. Love everything about it, yet the trunk is really starting to frustrate me. Seven times in the past three weeks, I returned to my car to see the trunk has opened. The car is otherwise locked.

Is this a fob issue (I already have a cover on mine) or is something else going on with the X3?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 07:16 PM   #2
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Sensitive Fob issue.

Some people have added a cover
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 07:27 PM   #3
ghostdog1108
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X4 M40i CARBON BLACK

I added the BMW thick fob cover because of the issue. Bulky fob but no more issues over the last 4 months......,

Last edited by ghostdog1108; 01-26-2019 at 08:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 07:36 PM   #4
rem40i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3MC Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanF View Post
Had my 2019 3.0 X3 for three weeks. Love everything about it, yet the trunk is really starting to frustrate me. Seven times in the past three weeks, I returned to my car to see the trunk has opened. The car is otherwise locked.

Is this a fob issue (I already have a cover on mine) or is something else going on with the X3?
How thick is the cover?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 07:44 PM   #5
HollyM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i - on order!

Members,

I, too, have had a strange occurrence twice now with the tailgate opening on its own. Both times, it was the same exact scenario: just hand-washed at home in my driveway, dried and pulled into the garage. The vehicle is now not locked, and the key fob is lying 10 feet away on a shelf in the garage. All of a sudden, while trying to dry the ever-present water drips, the tailgate starts opening and closing, multiple times, with accompanied incessant beeping. I am standing near the right rear quarter fender, 4 feet away, watching this in horror. Sometimes, the tailgate would come down 1/3 of the way, or 1/2 way, stop, then rise again to full open position. Then all is quiet, and it starts again.

Yes, my key is in the fob. No one else was home. The key fob was motionless far away.

Any ideas? Thank goodness the tailgate does not connect with the fully-opened garage door overhead when this melarchy ensues....
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 07:55 PM   #6
Fenders
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 xDrive30i

Dealers can re-code your car for free to require an unlock before the tailgate button will function, if adding a fob cover would be unwieldy for you. There’s a known service bulletin on this.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 07:56 PM   #7
m235hou
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyM View Post
Members,

I, too, have had a strange occurrence twice now with the tailgate opening on its own. Both times, it was the same exact scenario: just hand-washed at home in my driveway, dried and pulled into the garage. The vehicle is now not locked, and the key fob is lying 10 feet away on a shelf in the garage. All of a sudden, while trying to dry the ever-present water drips, the tailgate starts opening and closing, multiple times, with accompanied incessant beeping. I am standing near the right rear quarter fender, 4 feet away, watching this in horror. Sometimes, the tailgate would come down 1/3 of the way, or 1/2 way, stop, then rise again to full open position. Then all is quiet, and it starts again.

Yes, my key is in the fob. No one else was home. The key fob was motionless far away.

Any ideas? Thank goodness the tailgate does not connect with the fully-opened garage door overhead when this melarchy ensues....
Probably triggered the kick open sensor on the bottom as you were drying it
      01-23-2019, 08:56 PM   #8
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
I almost feel like this needs to be a sticky since it is so common.

If the trunk is opening it's likely one of two things: inadvertent button pressing or the fob or inadvertent triggering of the kick sensor.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 11:06 PM   #9
HollyM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i - on order!

But it was neither; the key fob was motionless, lying on a shelf far away and I was standing at least four feet away from the vehicle, in line with the right rear passenger door or rear fender. It was the most bizarre thing. Over and over it opened and closed, about ten times, while I just stood there watching it in utter disbelief.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 11:15 PM   #10
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 x30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem40i View Post
How thick is the cover?
Fob + cover is about one inch thick. I kid you not. It's padded, though, and compresses ever so slightly. Still, note that you can still hit the hatch open button through the thick cover, if you press hard in just the right place.

Of course, the thickness is no problem for those of us with dad pants, but it's an issue for the younger crowd.

Last edited by darrylo; 01-23-2019 at 11:21 PM..
Appreciate 1
JoshV14.50
      01-23-2019, 11:19 PM   #11
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 x30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyM View Post
The vehicle is now not locked, and the key fob is lying 10 feet away on a shelf in the garage.
You might have an electrical problem, but try moving the fob farther away. Mine is around 20-25' away, and I haven't had any problems.

(... well, once I move the fob away. I always forget, and am reminded when the locks go lock/unlock/lock/unlock/... while I'm hosing down the car.)
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 11:57 PM   #12
bob330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylo View Post

(... well, once I move the fob away. I always forget, and am reminded when the locks go lock/unlock/lock/unlock/... while I'm hosing down the car.)
That's not only on the X3, that happens when I forget and keep the fob in my pocket when I'm washing/drying my F80. Only can take a few cycles then I have to put the fob in the house.
      01-24-2019, 06:12 AM   #13
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post

If the trunk is opening it's likely one of two things: inadvertent button pressing or the fob or inadvertent triggering of the kick sensor.
I would add a third possibility - electronic gremlins that's either temporarily random (came and then went away for good), or persistent (malfunctioning parts), based on feedback from a few fellow members such as HollyM. I would suggest a trip back to dealership if a good key fob case does not solve the issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 06:42 AM   #14
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro (Dec 21)

I have just booked my X3 into the dealership on Tuesday to have the mod coded so it only opens after being unlocked. The lady who booked it in knew the exact issue and resolution - they must get it a lot.

I think it's worth the peace of mind for the slight loss of convenience.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 07:15 AM   #15
MediaMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0dM, Phytonic Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersebbo View Post
I have just booked my X3 into the dealership on Tuesday to have the mod coded so it only opens after being unlocked. The lady who booked it in knew the exact issue and resolution - they must get it a lot.

I think it's worth the peace of mind for the slight loss of convenience.
Can I ask which dealer?

I had difficulty at my local service reception trying to explain the 'mod' to deactivate the key fob after 2 mins of inactivity to thwart the signal grabbers. (Was sent to parts dept, explained again, but the guy went away, spoke to master tech, and came back with a reply).

As mine will go in for the modified key fobs, I will ask for the boot (trunk) recoding then as it is an annoying problem and my big fear is of it happening in a multi-storey car park with a low roof - and that could be expensive.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 07:33 AM   #16
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro (Dec 21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaMan View Post
Can I ask which dealer?

I had difficulty at my local service reception trying to explain the 'mod' to deactivate the key fob after 2 mins of inactivity to thwart the signal grabbers. (Was sent to parts dept, explained again, but the guy went away, spoke to master tech, and came back with a reply).

As mine will go in for the modified key fobs, I will ask for the boot (trunk) recoding then as it is an annoying problem and my big fear is of it happening in a multi-storey car park with a low roof - and that could be expensive.
It was with Cotswold in Cheltenham. In honesty, I mis-represented her knowledge slightly, I explained the issue to her and she said it was common and suggested I get a fob cover, then I said I had heard about the coding option and she put me on hold to talk to her service manager who confirmed it was possible. Then it was booked in.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 07:40 AM   #17
retiredsailer
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M30d

Had the same problem when keeping the key in a trouser pocket. BMW cover, expensive, solved the problem for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 07:45 AM   #18
KAP8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 435i

The Fob is very sensitive. Our M40i rarely leaves the garage so I took the Fob off of my key chain a leave it on my dresser.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 10:09 AM   #19
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post

I would add a third possibility - electronic gremlins that's either temporarily random (came and then went away for good), or persistent (malfunctioning parts), based on feedback from a few fellow members such as HollyM. I would suggest a trip back to dealership if a good key fob case does not solve the issue.
Yeah, while that's a possibility I sure hope dozens of people aren't experiencing random vehicle malfunctions, like they are the other two possibilities.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 10:15 AM   #20
SteveX3M40i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX40MSport

Hi,
There are often problems with the boot wiring harnesses and the connectors that attach this harness to the body of the car.
The harness needs to be flexible where it enters the car - normally at top edge of the boot.
This can allow water ingress into the connector and on a motorised boot - water shorting certain wires could easily cause the boot to randomly open or shut.
The harness could also be faulty from the factory with a random fault showing up after the harness has been flexed when the boot has been opened and shut.
We just sold our Mercedes ML63 and we had this car from new in 2015 and covered 108,000km.
On a weekly basis the rear camera would stop working randomly and the dealer could never properly fix it despite numerous visits.
In the end, we just gave up letting them try to find the fault!
Cheers
Steve
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 10:40 AM   #21
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d - Black Sapphire

You don't want the tailgate opening when you're not around, especially if you have anything in the car worth taking - not reassuring, at all!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 10:28 PM   #22
Rhidium
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3

One time at home I pulled something out of the trunk. I closed/locked it and went in the house. Came out and found it partially open. Note that if I use the FOB it would do a full open, not a partial open. I then proceeded to close the trunk again.. but stood there. I found it opened again due to it hitting the cargo mat accessory. Upon obstruction it does a partial open. I push the mat more and it finally closed.
Appreciate 0