BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Dealer satisfaction score

01-10-2019, 09:19 PM   #1
Sideshow
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Dealer satisfaction score

I will be picking up my car on Saturday. My client advisor has been "ok". He is pleasant and for the most part formal. I am buying at MSRP but everything I have asked him for has been denied.

"I'm looking at the M spoiler, is there anything you could do for an MSRP customer?" "No, in fact we're more expensive than having it done at the port."

"I'm flying on Southwest to the airport, is there a way I could get a ride or do you have an arrangement with a service?" "No, we can't do that."

I wasn't asked if my car could be put into the showroom, which I did not want but it was.

I asked for my purchase order to be sent quickly as I was working with my credit union to get a check overnighted to me so that I had it when I flew down. He said 15 minutes, which have allowed me to get it to my loan officer in time to overnight to me. It took an hour and 15 minutes because "finance was backed up". I missed the overnight window.

While I will probably still take the car, as long as nothing is wrong with it, this does NOT feel like a premium experience to me. It feels like a Chevy dealer.

To that end, are you still called to rate your buying experience? I remember getting a note when I got my 335 serviced "If you can't rate today's service experience a 10 please let the service manager know immediately!"

Does this apply to purchases? Is it worth mentioning before I pick my car up? I'm currently at a 5.5 out of 10.

Any recent experience or perspectives from new owners or BMW employees would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 09:50 PM   #2
ContactPatch
Major
Rep
Drives: It's Quick!

Personally, I would have not purchased the car from that dealership. I would have outlined everything you said and sent a certified letter to the owner and said: "what do you think about this?" You can get these cars anywhere, you deserve to be treated better, a whole lot better. How will you be treated when you bring the car in for service: probably with a bunch of incompetent excuses.

Just an opinion.
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2019, 10:24 PM   #3
aWanderlustSeoul
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition HS

+ 1

I agree why purchase from this dealer if the client advisor is not providing you exceptional customer service. There are other dealers that are offering at MSRP.

I purchased mine from out of state and the client advisor that I bought from has been awesome pre and post sale.

Do you plan to maintain a relationship with this dealer after purchase? If yes then you may not want to provide a crappy rating. If you don't care, then provide the lower rating based on your experience.

My understanding is that these ratings impact the client advisors incentives/bonus. I'm not sure how much negative ratings impacts the dealer. I'm sure someone else can provide better details on how the ratings are used.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 11:51 PM   #4
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

I don't think the ratings matter anymore. It is now based on loyalty from what I'm told. I.e. did u go back to the same dealer and buy another BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 12:12 AM   #5
aWanderlustSeoul
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

OP, just curious what dealer are you planning to buy from? I reread your post and if you plan to fly, I'm assuming you purchased from a dealer that's not local and farther away. I purchased from a dealer in Denver and paid to have the car transported to me in Southern California.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 09:54 AM   #6
StavsM2C
CSOUSAX603
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F82 M2C SO DCT+EP

Garage List
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 BMW M2  [0.00]
2017 BMW X3  [0.00]
Let me know if you need any help I just responded to your PM OP.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 11:12 AM   #7
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Talk to sales manager or GM if you still want to buy the car from that dealership. They may try to iron things out before official rating.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 11:32 AM   #8
WhiskerBuilt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Avus Blue

I don't think you should ding him on his survey. Its a MSRP car why are you expecting help with a a rear spoiler? You will severely affect the guys bonuses if you rate him poorly because of that. As far as the getting back to you with the purchase order, if they have people in the finance office those people are the most important people to the dealership at that moment in time. As a client how would you feel if you were in the middle of signing your documents and a unrelated person barged into the room asking for something not relating to your deal? The only negative I see is not sending a uber to pick you up from the airport, I would have done that for you for sure. Just some food for thought.

(edited)
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2019, 11:41 AM   #9
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

If dealer surveys were actually used constructively and didn't negatively effect their paycheck, I'd be inclined to be more honest. Service that I've got was typically good enough but not 10/10. I still put that on the survey because I don't want to kill a guy's bonus just to provide some constructive feedback.

Really they need to unshackle the survey from the paycheck. Minor criticisms shouldn't significantly effect someone's pay.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 12:53 PM   #10
palum6o
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

I'm in the bay area as well and it's unfortunate that we don't have any decent BMW dealers to work with. It was cheaper for me to buy a 2019 model out of state rather than buying a 2018 model in the bay area at the time, many dealers here were $5,10-25k over MSRP. Best advice is to go with a volume dealer who has experience with out of state buyers. I was able to get MSRP and free delivery to my house, and the dealer experience was excellent. Also got a $500 rebate from BMWCCA.

To answer your question, I was sent a survey to complete, which I gave my guy an excellent score.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 12:54 PM   #11
windnsea00
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSharkey View Post
I don't think you should ding him on his survey. Its a MSRP car why are you expecting help with a a rear spoiler? You will severely affect the guys bonuses if you rate him poorly because of that. As far as the getting back to you with the purchase order, if they have people in the finance office those people are the most important people to the dealership at that moment in time. As a client how would you feel if you were in the middle of signing your documents and a unrelated person barged into the room asking for something not relating to your deal? The only negative I see is not sending a uber to pick you up from the airport, I would have done that for you for sure. Just some food for thought.

(edited)
1 Post and just joined...are you his client advisor?
Sideshow269.00
BlkSVT388.50
      01-11-2019, 03:59 PM   #12
WhiskerBuilt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Avus Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by windnsea00 View Post
1 Post and just joined...are you his client advisor?

hahah I am not but I am in the industry(Not BMW) and just put my order in for a M2
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 04:54 PM   #13
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

I really dislike this game that BMW makes us, the SA's, and CA's play. I'm sure other companies do it, too, but I really dislike it. I've gotten good service and bad service in my almost six years of dealing with my particular BMW dealership, but I was only being honest maybe twice when I marked a top score on a service or sales survey from them.

All of the other "good but not perfect" moments were fine, and I don't really expect more, but the level of BS in the system is pretty annoying. Not playing the game means a financial hit for the CA or SA, and it probably risks not being treated as well next time I walk in the door. Folk do have a tendency towards revenge, unfortunately.

The one really insanely bad bit of service I got from them, I did use the survey and the "Service completed" email to make my point. If the SA that caused the problem was still working at the dealership, I may not have bought my current car...that's how bad it was.

No choice that time...every other time since and before, I've played the game as requested.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2019, 05:33 PM   #14
Sideshow
Captain
Rep

Hmm, got your first post.

Quote:
I honestly think your being a bit of a pre-madonna (No offense). Its a MSRP car why are you expecting help with a a rear spoiler? You are going to ding as guy because he wont give you a discount or wont pick you up from he airport? You will severely affect the guys bonuses if you rate him poorly because of that. As far as the getting back to you with the purchase order, if they have people in the finance office those people are the most important people to the dealership at that moment in time. As a client how would you feel if you were in the middle of signing your documents and a unrelated person barged into the room asking for something not relating to your deal? Just some food for thought.

No, I don't think I'm being a "pre-madonna" (sic). I'm expecting an outstanding buying experience. Since it's my money I have every right to have that expectation and it's not being met. Don't tell me I'll get a purchase order in "about 15 minutes", then get to me an hour and fifteen minutes later when I told you time was critical. Things happen (backed up finance).....so CALL me. I called him and never got off hold.

I have two courses of action. Not buy the car or buy the car and make my dis-pleasure known to my CA and the sales manager. Unless it gets worse I will be buying the car tomorrow.

I let my CA know today that I am unhappy so far with the buying experience. It hasn't measured up to my expectation of the advertised "ultimate buying experience". We will see if he rectifies that tomorrow when I find my way to the dealer. If not, I will voice my dis-pleasure with the sales manager and give the appropriate score when given the opportunity. He is on notice, if he would like to not...

Quote:
....severely affect the guys bonuses if you rate him poorly....
...he will step up. I don't mean this in a malicious or pompous way. I simply expect the buying experience I am paying dearly for. The method to rate that experience was put into place by BMW and the management. I will give the appropriate score.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 08:27 PM   #15
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by palum6o View Post
I'm in the bay area as well and it's unfortunate that we don't have any decent BMW dealers to work with. It was cheaper for me to buy a 2019 model out of state rather than buying a 2018 model in the bay area at the time, many dealers here were $5,10-25k over MSRP. Best advice is to go with a volume dealer who has experience with out of state buyers. I was able to get MSRP and free delivery to my house, and the dealer experience was excellent. Also got a $500 rebate from BMWCCA.

To answer your question, I was sent a survey to complete, which I gave my guy an excellent score.
Where did you buy from?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 09:46 PM   #16
//M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Don't bomb them on the survey, they're expected to keep extremely high scores getting a 5 out of 10 on the survey is a diaster for them, guarantees pretty much that they won't make the grade for the fiscal quarter, unless the dealer already gets bad surveys and they don't care, I'm sure if you speak to the manager he will get it fixed. It also affects what they pay for car if they keep a very high score they get an additional discount on every single car they get for the following qtr.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 10:55 PM   #17
miamidave
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

I would say be honest. If it's a 5/10, then rate him a 5/10.

These people and companies only learn through the pocketbook....

It's not your job to rubber stamp a 10. I would have zero sympathy.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 06:55 AM   #18
Aim.F32
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

My experience was more 1/10, the one being for finally getting my car. The only reason I went through was because I got 8-9% off the car. Everything from the get go was a headache. As soon as they got my deposit, communication went cold. The salesman gave me the order form (without the discount applied) and was supposed to send me the updated one the next day, two weeks went by and I didn't get it. I wasn't exactly sure how much I was paying but also wasn't sure how much my monthly was going to be. On top of that, I didn't know what was happening to my current car at the time (which I picked up from the same dealership in 2017) because originally, I went in to get the OG M2 and with that deal my previous car was accounted in the deal (as PX). I wasn't sure if they were taking it as PX for the new deal or I would have to sell it privately. I called several times two weeks after to get some more information and conveniently the salesman was not available. I felt like a crazy ex at the time, ringing the dealership just to find out 1) Updated order form 2) How much was I going to pay 3) What happens to my current car at the time 4) When my car arrives (or even an estimate date). Got to the point where I got fed up and a friend (who worked at a different dealership) advised me to speak straight to the manager, so I asked to speak to the manager after no communication from the salesman, and guess who picks up the phone when I requested to the sales manager, yep the salesman (who was no manager). He gave the whole song and dance, and even said "Oh we'll give you an M car for the weekend" so you can get a feel of one. That obviously didn't happen. 2 months in and I still didn't get any information.

So, I complained to BMW UK, and the next day I got a call from the dealership manager and he gave me an estimated date for the arrival but no information on my current car. Then I get an email about being able to change my specs a bit so I went in to do so and the salesman made those changes. But at the end of the week I get a call from the sales manager to discuss finance and we seem to have 3 different prices for the car. He goes and clarifies it and finds out actually the car was already in production status so whatever changes I made didn’t change. I was annoyed the salesman wasted my time and on top of that the manager’s new monthly quote and deal had me on the Q4 APR which was 4.9% instead of the 2.9% APR because I changed the specs slightly in Q4. But this made so sense because the car had already gone into production so my original specs stayed the same (spec’d in August). He then said, let me know when you’re ready to pull the trigger so I can request BMW Finance/UK to put you back on the 2.9% APR because he said that he can only do that once. Again, I was confused why I was even put on the 4.9% APR because I had been calling in for months asking about my finance agreement, updated order form, etc. This all should have been confirmed in August and all I had to do is lay back and await my first M.

I complained again to BMW UK, and the manager got back the next day and told me about the car arrival date and valuation of my car, which was £2.3K in negative equity so I decided to put up the car up for sale, annoying because I had to put it up a month before the new car arrived. Would have sold it quicker in the summer and also broke even on the finance if I did so. I reduced my deposit by £1k just in case I had to settle any negative equity on the quick sale of my car. Fast forward towards the close of collection date, which was set for a Saturday and I had also found a buyer for my current car who was collecting the car the week after (£850 negative equity but that was better than -£2.3k). But a couple of days before collection, the salesman calls me and tells me I can’t collect the car until I have settled the finance on the current car, otherwise they wouldn’t release the finance for the new car. Yes, I know, this is the issue with financing and partly my fault. However, it’s something they should have told me way before the collection date. This being my first new and M car I wanted a bit of song and dance for collection day but at this point, I waited a week and just picked up my car straight after work.

The salesman knew how bad he had been and tried to offer some things from the BMW lifestyle shop, so I picked up a few things and he said he’d order it and get it delivered to me, and also mentioned M track days in Jan. This was nearly a month and half ago and got none of those said things.

At least I got my M2C, which I love.
      01-13-2019, 12:49 PM   #19
Sideshow
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Don't bomb them on the survey, they're expected to keep extremely high scores getting a 5 out of 10 on the survey is a diaster for them, guarantees pretty much that they won't make the grade for the fiscal quarter, unless the dealer already gets bad surveys and they don't care, I'm sure if you speak to the manager he will get it fixed. It also affects what they pay for car if they keep a very high score they get an additional discount on every single car they get for the following qtr.
I will be honest, I collected my car yesterday.....we're steady at 5 out of 10. I was told " we don't have the personnel to pick you up at the airport". Well, yesterday morning I was there an hour after they opened. I was the only customer there for two hours after I got there......the guys were in the M showroom throwing a football around. "Help yourself, we have an awesome coffee machine".....it was out of order.

It was a Chevy delivery experience....but that might have gone better because a Chevy salesman may have been more appreciative.

We're at 5....
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
Hankdoll135.50
      01-14-2019, 10:33 AM   #20
palum6o
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Where did you buy from?
Check out Momentum BMW in Houston, TX. Sergo is your man. Last I spoke with him, he didn't have any allocations but I'm sure things change by the week.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 08:27 PM   #21
aWanderlustSeoul
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
I will be honest, I collected my car yesterday.....we're steady at 5 out of 10. I was told " we don't have the personnel to pick you up at the airport". Well, yesterday morning I was there an hour after they opened. I was the only customer there for two hours after I got there......the guys were in the M showroom throwing a football around. "Help yourself, we have an awesome coffee machine".....it was out of order.

It was a Chevy delivery experience....but that might have gone better because a Chevy salesman may have been more appreciative.

We're at 5....
Based on your experience, it seems like 5 is a generous rating.

What dealer provided this so so experience or if you rather not say how far from the Bay Area did you fly? I'm assuming you are driving the car back home so it's not too far from where you live.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 09:26 PM   #22
Sideshow
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aWanderlustSeoul View Post
Based on your experience, it seems like 5 is a generous rating.

What dealer provided this so so experience or if you rather not say how far from the Bay Area did you fly? I'm assuming you are driving the car back home so it's not too far from where you live.
I bought it in Camarillo and drove it home...about 5 hours.
Appreciate 0