M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion The 8 - the way it drives

01-07-2019, 02:32 PM   #1
sergey8
Rep
Drives: BMW

The 8 - the way it drives

Hi Folks,

Ever since introduction of the 8 and the first time I saw the car in flash I’ve been looking for driver’s reviews of the car. I was eager to understand what this car is and how it drives. However, all the reviews I had come across were made by people who were driving the car straight lines, sitting in the car talking on the video regarding gesture control and showing off the reversing assistant. Neither of the reviews served the purpose and therefore I have made my own.

Please read below and let me know through comments what you think of it.

Since my review is about driving and it is difficult to just tell you how a car drives without comparing it to something else I decided to compare it to M5 F90 Competition. Why exactly M5? Well, for several reasons:

1. BMW positions both cars as their top sports cars for the moment, one being the "ultimate sports car” and the other being “the luxury sports car”
2. They share the same platform although it is modified in different ways to either suit the M5 or the 8
3. They weigh approximately the same
4. They cost approximately the same (well, until the M8 comes out)

I do not mean to compare everyday practicality (otherwise the 8 would immediately leave the comparison). I will also not speak about acceleration itself since for now it is clear who would win.

So, in order to better understand the 8 it makes sense to first talk about what it is to drive the M5 on the street. It is all different on the track since other things matter but on the street it is where this comparison makes sense.

Since all other reviews of M5 I was able to find speak only about how great the car is, that it has 625 horse power and (oh my god) an all wheel drive, I believe some description of how it actually feels on the street is necessary.

I haven driven the M5 Competition for several occasions now and my relationship and my feelings towards driving of this car have passed through several stages which I would like to describe in more detail.

Stage 1: you drive the car for one or two days and you are seriously surprised by how comfortable the car is. It is really-really comfortable. You keep being surprised by how quiet it is, how not hard the suspension is, how it is easy for you to obey the speed limits.

Having driven E63S on the street I can tell you - this is a big achievement. With E63S I was not able to hold the car on the edge of the speed limit - the gas pedal was reacting to my breathing and constantly went beyond it which forced me to set the car on the limiter not to constantly watch the speed gauge.

It is completely not the case with the M5. The car does not do anything until you ask it to, it holds easily to the pace you want it to keep. In fact it is so relaxed that you want to remove your hands from 9 o’clock, 3 o’clock position, put one hand at 12 o’ clock, put the back of your seat a bit further, set your Bowers & Wilkins a bit louder and drive into the sunset.

You are not even bothered by those people around who constantly want to race you after they see the M5 badge - you feel yourself above this, you are a grown up now, you have the M5 - no need to prove anything to anyone anymore

Stage 2: At certain moment in time you realise that you have the M5 nor just for relaxed driving. You even start to worry that the car is too relaxed. To get a relief from these thoughts you put everything to Sport Plus configuration and press the pedal. You quickly realise that the car does everything you’d expect it to do - it accelerates, it steers, it overtakes, it slaloms, it sounds, your passenger is flying around her seat in tights corners. So, everything is as it should be.

So now that you have proven to yourself that it is actually the M5 you are driving, calmed by this sensation you switch again everything to Efficient and continue to enjoy the relaxed driving.

Stage 3: you wake up in the night scared by the thought that you have grown old. You have the fast car you ever wanted and all you want to do with it is to enjoy the relaxed driving and the the looks of it.

So you tell your girlfriend that you go to a pharmacy to buy aspirin, while yourself jump into the car, press the M2 button (you memorised all the Sport Plus setting from the precious exercise) and try to get maximum of sports driving on empty city streets where there are just you and the taxi’s.

You push the car further and further, go through bends faster and faster, one time you almost crash it. The car obeys but you do not feel anything. And then you finally realise what it is that was bothering you all this time.

The car does everything you want but keeps all the sensations to itself. It is more that you are entertaining the car than the car is entertaining you. Going 50 kmh or 200 kmh feels the same, unless you accelerate really hard, the engine sound is actually subdued, you only see bends & corners but do not feel match of them.

This is when you realise that there is a flip side to all that comfort. BMW has created a hugely capable car which can perform pretty well on a racetrack but unfortunately does not give you enough sensation of that performance in your everyday life. Pity.

Somehow this realisation does not leave you very much disappointed. You understand that the problem is not in you and your age and you still have a hugely potent car after all so you settle to that knowledge and will continue enjoying the comfort of the M5.

You remain satisfied this way until your former colleague tells you that his m850i finally has arrived. You and your colleague went both to the racetrack last spring with BMW to test-drive the new M5 on a formula one circuit. You both enjoyed it a lot. Later the colleague has ordered the M5 but then changed the order to m850i.

So he calls you and offers to test-drive his new m850i.

When you first approach the car you can not make much of it. It is so low and so slick so you can barely perceive its presence. The M5 especially in a light color is massively present on the street, the 8 - not so much.

So feeling not very much satisfied by the looks you get into the drivers seat. It is low but you have to go even lower because the roof is also quite low. However, having set the seat to a low position you do not feel any discomfort, in fact it is quite comfy, low but comfy.

You look around, see iDrive 7 with all new buttons, controls and screens. You see merino all over. And … you do not understand where is all that luxury BMW was talking about. It is well made, it is quite pleasantly made but it is not luxury that is for sure. Especially comparing it with Benz.

Here is when you think that you do not get this car. It is nowhere present, neither from inside nor from outside. Without any big hopes and wanting to go back to your M5 as soon as possible you start the engine and begin to drive.

And that is where things change and they change immediately after one meter of driving.

Suddenly you feel young again. You want to accelerate, you want to slalom, you want to go around bends, you enjoy the engine sound. You are playing with the car from minute one. It is fun and it is fun all over again.

Why is that? First and foremost it is because the car gives you all the sensations. You do feel the speed in the 8, you do hear other cars, you feel the car completely when you turn it. In fact it gives you so much more sensation of driving that you can go slower in the 8 and enjoy it more than going twice as fast in the M5.

Second reason (but it is really a second one) is that the car feels very nimble and light. This is of course due to the physics because the 8 wheelbase is shorter then that of the new 3 series (G20) and the center of mass is much lower than in the M5 competition. In addition there is also a four wheel steering.

However between the nimbleness and the sensation it is the sensation of driving which gives you all the enjoyment. Somehow where the engineers insulated the M5 they left the 8 completely talkative and open.

This has a flip side as well. The 8 feels more like a toy than a serious car. People describe it as a GT and this is what it for sure is not. This is not a GT car. This is a toy sports car. If you want to cross continents take an M5. M5 is way more comfy than the 8.

The 8 feels small, open and nimble with all the up and downsides of it. The closest car in sensation to the 8 is …. the 3 series only with more leather, design and room in the interior and a greatly improved exterior. I will say it again - the 8 feels much less comfortable than the M5.

The 8 is the car not for those who like luxury it is for those who would like to enjoy the essence of driving and whose status does not allow them to buy an m2 or m3. It is a driver’s car but of a driver who would like to wear white gloves & a suite instead of the racing Puma shoes and anti fire costume.

Don’t we have a 911 for that? Well, yes we do and presumably 911 will drive better than M8 (due to much lower mass & DCT). However, the M8 or the m850i will also be a lot of fun to drive and not everyone likes Porsche, not everyone likes a really small cabin of 911. Some people want a well driving good looking car which is also rather comfortable - for them there is the 8.

You would be right to notice that the market for such a specific vehicle might turn out to be rather small. I doubt that no matter how much advertising budget BMW would spend here it will ever be able to bring the 8 in terms of desirability anywhere close to 911. Therefore by the end of 2019 we might start seeing large discounts on 8 series at BMW dealers as well as a huge drop in value of the pre-owned cars which will be sold in the beginning of 2019.

By the way for those of you who were asking why there is so little room with the back seats for such a large car. Well, the answer is simple - BMW has chosen for a car with a very short wheelbase (smaller than in G20) and for the large engine (V8). Since the engine needs to be contained within the wheelbase to ensure good balance (so to be behind the front axle) the cabin space is shifted more behind (compared to the 3-series for instance). Therefore, there is essentially no room left for the rear seats which can not move past the rear axle.

All this also show us the expectations regarding the 8 Grand Coupe dimensions. Currently, the 8 is by 11.5 cm shorter than M5 and its wheelbase is by 16 cm shorter. In order to make room for extra seats BMW to my expectations needs to move the rear axle behind by about 8 cm. This means that the wheel base of the Grand Coupe might still be shorter than that of the M5 by as much as 8 cm.

The total length of the car would need to increase beyond that due to low sloping roof line. BMW will need to move the sloping point of the roof further behind the rear sits in order to make room for the head. This would require another cm of 3 in length at least. Overall, the increase of length might be as big as 11 cm bringing the length of the Grand Coupe equal to the length of the M5.

Having enjoyed the 8 I felt very good for my friend for whom it was a second car. As a second car to enjoy once in a while it is a perfect toy.

However, unfortunately, neither the 8 nor the M5 do make a perfect all round car which I was hoping one of them would be.
Appreciate 9
ianp62252.00
Louv300.50
H.I.T409.50
m3_08589.00
Wolfman64811.50
themnmd1687.00
am3r1ka1413.00
cfm56d7b5849.00
clee1982796.00
      01-07-2019, 03:46 PM   #2
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Today i have place an order for M5 comp..it is funny how life can be full of suprices.

Only car that i was consider to buy beside M5 comp was M850i and now after i read your review i need to say that you wrote everything i wanted to hear.

Thank you so much.

I was driving 640 xd m sport for 4 years and was sick and tired of that low car..

I will be more then happy to write down my opinion about both cars.

I will pick up my next week since my dealer offered me a great deal on M5 comp,and then i will drive M850i and i will express my feelings about both cars.

Again thank you for good info!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 11:42 AM   #3
sergey8
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hi Deda. I am glad my review was helpful. Please let my know your impressions regarding the M5 once you have it delivered to you
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 09:28 AM   #4
TtiMe
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06

Nice review. Maybe the M8 is your answer!! I just hope the M8 is clearly a higher level of performance, I’m afraid it’ll weight too much and be nearly identical in performance as the M5.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 01:38 PM   #5
H.I.T
Private First Class
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe

Man, you should work for Top Gear! I enjoy every single word of your review and really looking forward to the M8
      01-10-2019, 08:44 PM   #6
Tejael
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 328i

Garage List
2022 BMW M850i  [0.00]
when you find something that drives like a bmw but has the luxury of a benz let me know
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 07:16 PM   #7
m3_08
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 conv, IX M60, model Y

my compromize is E63s wagon - perfect car for any occasion. from shopping to have passengers or dogs or drive in sports modes when i'm alone.
Totally agree with Sergey on 850 sales and depreciation projections - it is too impractical.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 07:58 AM   #8
Johnhanson
Private
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

What a great review. Thanks for putting the time in, it was very enjoyable to read.

I'm in a similar circumstance. Mid 30's and not a spring chicken-boy racer anymore. I love my RS5 and even though it's incredibly slow compared to these cars, it shows that sometimes less is more. I can wind it to 8400 rpm and not always break the law - it sounds like making the M5 roar will land you in jail if you're near police. It's a 10 year old platform and dated but it makes me smile every day, and that's really my requirement for my next car. I just can't make myself love the M5. I certainly respect it but this review echos my feelings. I've yet to see an 8 in the flesh let alone drive one, but from what I've seen it seems to be more involved and make its reviewers smile. My car is a second vehicle so it doesn't have to be overly practical aside from squeezing a car seat for my son because he loves cars as much as I do.

The question is...8 series, or look at 911/vantage/AMG. Your review helps but I have a lot of (enjoyable) test driving to do.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 11:40 AM   #9
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhanson View Post
What a great review. Thanks for putting the time in, it was very enjoyable to read.

I'm in a similar circumstance. Mid 30's and not a spring chicken-boy racer anymore. I love my RS5 and even though it's incredibly slow compared to these cars, it shows that sometimes less is more. I can wind it to 8400 rpm and not always break the law - it sounds like making the M5 roar will land you in jail if you're near police. It's a 10 year old platform and dated but it makes me smile every day, and that's really my requirement for my next car. I just can't make myself love the M5. I certainly respect it but this review echos my feelings. I've yet to see an 8 in the flesh let alone drive one, but from what I've seen it seems to be more involved and make its reviewers smile. My car is a second vehicle so it doesn't have to be overly practical aside from squeezing a car seat for my son because he loves cars as much as I do.

The question is...8 series, or look at 911/vantage/AMG. Your review helps but I have a lot of (enjoyable) test driving to do.
I'm the same age and love my M6. My issue is not knowing what to get next. The M8 isn't really speaking to me too much at the moment but we'll see when it comes out.
      01-15-2019, 01:39 PM   #10
firstbimmernyc
Rep
Drives: M850

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
Quote:

I'm the same age and love my M6. My issue is not knowing what to get next. The M8 isn't really speaking to me too much at the moment but we'll see when it comes out.
I'm the same age and looking for a fun car. The Aston Martin is just too expensive for what you get. And the 911 is just too impractical. I feel the 8 gives you a little bit of everything. I ski and golf and need a boot that can handle the cargo without an attachment. My car is coming to port on Monday. Hope to take delivery in the coming days/weeks. Black on black with carbon fiber. Will post pics and reviews once I get my hands on it. Bottom line, every reviewer had a smile on their face when driving this thing and I hope I do too. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 04:27 PM   #11
Johnhanson
Private
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstbimmernyc View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I'm the same age and looking for a fun car. The Aston Martin is just too expensive for what you get. And the 911 is just too impractical. I feel the 8 gives you a little bit of everything. I ski and golf and need a boot that can handle the cargo without an attachment. My car is coming to port on Monday. Hope to take delivery in the coming days/weeks. Black on black with carbon fiber. Will post pics and reviews once I get my hands on it. Bottom line, every reviewer had a smile on their face when driving this thing and I hope I do too. Lol.
Excellent. I'm looking forward to your impressions. Hope you love it!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 07:26 PM   #12
Tejael
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M850i  [0.00]
Until this post i had my mind made up i was getting a M850 Gran Coupe...... now im back to square one, i never really paid attention but, where is the "Luxury" that special piece (besides the Badge). Its doesn't even compare with a Mercedes S560 or Porsche Panamera. FYI I am the biggest BMW fan boy, guess i could wait til car is released.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 11:10 PM   #13
SLF80
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F80

It's hard to agree with some of the comment and the takeaway here.

The 8 feels like the 3 with more leather? And it is not a GT?

Not everyone wants/ needs a sedan/ 4 doors.

Is the 8 too heavy and can you feel all that weight? Sure.
BMW have done a good job with the powertrain and with all the electronics to obfuscate all that weight.
I love that it's low and somewhat wide. You want presence? Look at the shark-like MB GT.

Personally, I would not pick a F90 over G15, let alone the M8, especially when considering the interior aesthetics of the 8.

Just like the M6 F11/12/13 was the best BMW had to offer IMO, the M8 should be the ticket. Can't wait.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2019, 11:24 AM   #14
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikF80 View Post
It's hard to agree with some of the comment and the takeaway here.

The 8 feels like the 3 with more leather? And it is not a GT?

Not everyone wants/ needs a sedan/ 4 doors.

Is the 8 too heavy and can you feel all that weight? Sure.
BMW have done a good job with the powertrain and with all the electronics to obfuscate all that weight.
I love that it's low and somewhat wide. You want presence? Look at the shark-like MB GT.

Personally, I would not pick a F90 over G15, let alone the M8, especially when considering the interior aesthetics of the 8.

Just like the M6 F11/12/13 was the best BMW had to offer IMO, the M8 should be the ticket. Can't wait.
The dash reminds me too much of the G20 as well as the other new BMW dashes, the Z4, X5, X7. I felt like the F13 was quite different to the rest of the range.
      01-19-2019, 08:24 AM   #15
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

3 days ago i picked up M5 comp and drove M850ix at dealership..

Then i went home with M5 comp.

Man,im so happy with my choice..M850ix is so low,stiff..i am 1.91cm high and i almost touch the roof.

8 looks amazing,but im 42 and that car is just not for me,i feel much better M5!

Good luck all!
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      01-19-2019, 11:26 PM   #16
am3r1ka
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Wow I felt every word you wrote. Even felt like I was picking up aspirin at night in a M5. Well written review. And I completely agree with the heavily discounted 8 series to come. The car is positioned in a very niche market kind of like the s class coupe. The gran coupe will be the better seller but it does leave the initial car class it use to belong to (A7 & CLS). I guess it'll be more of a suitable competitor to the AMG 4 door and Panamera Turbo but that's also a niche group. Can't wait till Alpina get their hands on this one though.
      01-19-2019, 11:34 PM   #17
am3r1ka
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejael View Post
Until this post i had my mind made up i was getting a M850 Gran Coupe...... now im back to square one, i never really paid attention but, where is the "Luxury" that special piece (besides the Badge). Its doesn't even compare with a Mercedes S560 or Porsche Panamera. FYI I am the biggest BMW fan boy, guess i could wait til car is released.
Same here. I feel like trying to revive the 8 series nameplate as the must luxurious BMW there is and then see what a let down it is interior wise is saddening. I get that the design language is suppose to be sporty, but the X7 and X5 interiors look way more luxurious than the 8. Huge BMW fanboy but I think the AMG GT 4 door nails what this 8 series was suppose to be
      01-20-2019, 07:36 AM   #18
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by am3r1ka View Post
Same here. I feel like trying to revive the 8 series nameplate as the must luxurious BMW there is and then see what a let down it is interior wise is saddening. I get that the design language is suppose to be sporty, but the X7 and X5 interiors look way more luxurious than the 8. Huge BMW fanboy but I think the AMG GT 4 door nails what this 8 series was suppose to be
It’s unclear to me if these comments are based on actual inspection of the M850 or on the review. If it’s the latter, I suggest some time spent in the actual car before drawing conclusions.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 09:39 AM   #19
Tejael
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M850i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
It’s unclear to me if these comments are based on actual inspection of the M850 or on the review. If it’s the latter, I suggest some time spent in the actual car before drawing conclusions.
i want to be clear.....i am not one to say anything negative about BMW i have own 5. So to answer your question i have actually spent time in the car sitting and driving. Getting a true feel of the car, and i adore the cars design..... pure eye candy. But this post has forced me to realize something that i thought was there but is not....... luxury.

Thx
am3r1ka
you nailed what i was looking for
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
am3r1ka1413.00
clee1982796.00
      01-20-2019, 11:42 AM   #20
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep

I find all of the modern Merc interiors look good in photos or at first glance in real life but if you touch things and spend some time in the cars they come across as tacky and blingy but with no real substance.

In saying that I haven't seen the new GT 4 door yet and I do quite like the AMG GT interior but all of the C/E/S interiors a fairy average as far as quality goes.
      01-20-2019, 01:14 PM   #21
Tejael
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M850i  [0.00]
Quote:
I find all of the modern Merc interiors look good in photos or at first glance in real life but if you touch things and spend some time in the cars they come across as tacky and blingy but with no real substance.

In saying that I haven't seen the new GT 4 door yet and I do quite like the AMG GT interior but all of the C/E/S interiors a fairy average as far as quality goes.
i agree brad but seriously i feel like i have been in a dream. for me it was BMW or nothing i never even looked inside a benz. It's the little things that add luxury

start at 4:05 til 6:05 just 2 mins of your time where is BMW's answer to these cars that is what i want from them! Looks like going from a spaceship to a Pinto.... Damm you sergey8

Last edited by Tejael; 01-20-2019 at 01:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 04:38 PM   #22
f34
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 m60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by am3r1ka View Post
Have you actually spent any time in an 8? It's the identical interior to the most heavily-optioned X5 and X7s, although scaled down for size. I suppose there's an argument to be made that the 8 should be in some way "special" above and beyond the new X cars, but the Xs are in no way "more luxurious." If anything, it's a wash.
Appreciate 0