F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Cruise Control, something a little odd
ARMA SPEED

01-04-2019, 09:22 PM   #1
Gbtr6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive

Cruise Control, something a little odd

Coming home this evening and noticed something a little odd. Goin* through corners marked 40 mph with cruise at 62. As I go through the corner, the car decelerates slightly, maybe 2–3 mph. Then goes back to set speed. Is this a stability control nanny? I was nowhere near any limits at all. Just curious how this happens as all other cars I’ve had maintained speed.

Perry
      01-04-2019, 10:10 PM   #2
eugene89us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbtr6 View Post
Coming home this evening and noticed something a little odd. Goin* through corners marked 40 mph with cruise at 62. As I go through the corner, the car decelerates slightly, maybe 2–3 mph. Then goes back to set speed. Is this a stability control nanny? I was nowhere near any limits at all. Just curious how this happens as all other cars I’ve had maintained speed.

Perry
Yes, I just experienced cruise control nanny over Christmas. I was exiting on a wide ramp that is long and not sharp at all. The ramp was merging one interstate onto another. I had cruise set at 65, and having taken ramp before, knew that slowing to recommended 45 was unnecessary. However, as I approached the sharpest part of the ramp, the car slowed from 65 down to around 57, no acceleration applied by car until I finished the turn, then the car woke up and quickly accelerated me. There was no time I felt I'd lose traction, I think the car somehow figured my turning was too sharp for speed and did not speed up the car going into the turn. I found that to be quite helpful from safety perspective.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 11:44 PM   #3
about94ninjas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 340i

As far as I know, it's more of a comfort thing than a safety thing. The car slows down to make the turn a little more comfortable, instead of taking it at the set speed. Newer S-classes will do the same thing, however they tie it into the drive mode. So sport mode will keep the car at a higher speed, whereas comfort will slow the car down more.
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2019, 08:24 AM   #4
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

Quote:
Coming home this evening and noticed something a little odd. Goin* through corners marked 40 mph with cruise at 62. As I go through the corner, the car decelerates slightly, maybe 2–3 mph. Then goes back to set speed. Is this a stability control nanny? I was nowhere near any limits at all. Just curious how this happens as all other cars I've had maintained speed.

Perry
Yes, it's the "dynamic" part of Dynamic cruise control. It uses the Yaw sensor to determine cornering speed.

Not to be confused with Active Cruise Control, which is even more advanced.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 08:54 AM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Normal. The car knows enough to slow down when taking a curve.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 09:07 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:

Perry
It can be due to DSC intervention, but most likely you experienced what others have stated, part of the "dynamic" control. "Lateral acceleration control", to be specific. Driving speed and yaw rate are used to compute a figure for lateral acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 11:07 AM   #7
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
I love the feature. It’s been on my last three cars. It works really well. I was at 77mph and hit a 45mph curve and the car slowed itself through the curve and sped back up. I was trying to show my daughter how it worked. Her car doesn’t have it.
Appreciate 0