F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Oh dear, I swore quite a lot.
Extreme Powerhouse

01-02-2019, 02:13 PM   #1
Pequin
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Enthusiastically

Oh dear, I swore quite a lot.

Hi, new member here although I have posted a few with no introduction, sorry.

Today, whilst reversing into a tight space in a concrete carpark, I foolishly nay stupidly allowed the outer rim of my wing mirror drag along a supporting beam. Not that bad but A- extremely visible from my point of view and B - annoying.
After trawling the whole internet from start to finish, I have identified the correct part number as: 51 16 7 284 124 - Would any of you kind folk know if it is just an unscrew ang jiggle job or should I let my friendly dealer do it, or should I man up, get some fine sand paper, twiddle it a little the get my detailer to smooth the offending scrape with a fine grit paste?

Pictures to follow but it is dark and I cannot bear to look at it again.

For the record, it's an Estoril Blue, F30 335D Xdrive LCi and completely pristine, apart from the mirror!!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 02:45 PM   #2
TiredGeek
Old Fart
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335dx F31 Shadow EB

Sounds like it's time for black or carbon mirror covers. I'm sure you can justify it with a bit of man maths
      01-02-2019, 03:08 PM   #3
Pequin
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredGeek View Post
Sounds like it's time for black or carbon mirror covers. I'm sure you can justify it with a bit of man maths
Hi thank you for the suggestion, I’d be all for it if it wee the cover, it is the black surround bit, although, I did go to take a picture and decided to give the offending scuff a little buff it seems to have done the trick, it was dark though, I’ll rub in some black shoe polish and report back.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 03:13 PM   #4
M2Rush
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BSM 335i x-drive

It's not hard but you can easily break the mirror, look for videos on youtube, I know Brain @ Kiesmotorsports did a great video on it. As long as you follow all instructions, you should be fine. If you've looked at the instructions/videos and still think it's too hard, just let the dealer or mechanic do it.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...les/1VnYCfz455

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...soles/GxVcVmQ8
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 03:15 PM   #5
M2Rush
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BSM 335i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequin View Post
Hi thank you for the suggestion, I’d be all for it if it wee the cover, it is the black surround bit, although, I did go to take a picture and decided to give the offending scuff a little buff it seems to have done the trick, it was dark though, I’ll rub in some black shoe polish and report back.
Just saw the reply; yeah, most of the time it looks really bad but buffs right out or at least becomes acceptable enough to just leave it as is.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 03:27 PM   #6
Quantox
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440iGC, CQ, Ivory White, MPPSK

Sounds like it's just the black bottom cap which is the most prominent point. Both sides of mine were scratched by passing traffic, builders vans, within a week of getting the car. They're only £25 each if you can't polish it out.

Note to self, must park closer to the kerb and fold the mirrors.

Q
      01-02-2019, 04:20 PM   #7
Pequin
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantox View Post
Sounds like it's just the black bottom cap which is the most prominent point. Both sides of mine were scratched by passing traffic, builders vans, within a week of getting the car. They're only £25 each if you can't polish it out.

Note to self, must park closer to the kerb and fold the mirrors.

Q
. Thank you and thank you all, if only BMW would stop making everything shiny the world would be a better place.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 04:22 PM   #8
Pequin
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Rush View Post
It's not hard but you can easily break the mirror, look for videos on youtube, I know Brain @ Kiesmotorsports did a great video on it. As long as you follow all instructions, you should be fine. If you've looked at the instructions/videos and still think it's too hard, just let the dealer or mechanic do it.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...les/1VnYCfz455

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...soles/GxVcVmQ8
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 01:56 PM   #9
Pequin
Captain
No_Country
Rep

So!

After speaking to the parts department at my local dealer I now know, the part is £35 ish, it is readily available, best not to try to change it myself. The Bodyshop claim it will take 11/2 hours so, all in about £100.00. My bodge job looks almost perfect, I will go see my friendly detailer on Saturday and then decide. Thanks all for your suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 02:05 PM   #10
PaulT_M5
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue F90

Are you sure that's the right part? M Sport cars (as yours is EB, I assume it's an M Sport) have gloss black and the part number you've given is for the grainy black?

The gloss ones are:

Left: 51167284125
Right: 51167284126

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_9005

They're reasonably easy to swap over after popping the glass off, undoing some screws for the lens adjuster and popping some clips - I had to replace the drivers' side one on my F30 AUC when I bought it as the first time I waxed the car, I noticed a crack which I then couldn't not see.
      01-04-2019, 11:56 AM   #11
Pequin
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulT_M5 View Post
Are you sure that's the right part? M Sport cars (as yours is EB, I assume it's an M Sport) have gloss black and the part number you've given is for the grainy black?

The gloss ones are:

Left: 51167284125
Right: 51167284126

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_9005

They're reasonably easy to swap over after popping the glass off, undoing some screws for the lens adjuster and popping some clips - I had to replace the drivers' side one on my F30 AUC when I bought it as the first time I waxed the car, I noticed a crack which I then couldn't not see.
Hi Paul, you are absolutely correct, thank you, you saved me some money there, I will get the edge polished tomorrow so will report back, did you find the fitting easy?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 02:13 AM   #12
PaulT_M5
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue F90

Bearing in mind I did this almost 5 years ago now, this is from memory.

I think the scariest part was popping the glass off as you seem to need a large amount of pressure until it lets go - I used a 1" wide flat chisel wrapped in electrical tape (to protect any edges from sharp bits) to spread the load.

Beyond that, it was just a case of unscrewing and unclipping the adjustment motor and identifying the clips joining the parts together and carefully prising them open to separate the parts, then jiggling bits to get them separated.

I recently had to replace the lower part of a mirror housing on Mrs T's Fiesta when she tried rearranging it into many smaller parts and it was pretty much the same component parts as the BMW mirrors with an internal frame, base, surrouding ring, indicator unit, cover, motor and mirror glass.