E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Creaking and popping noises coming from front KWv2's

07-15-2008, 05:21 PM   #1
skim7x
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, C63 AMG

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Creaking and popping noises

I recently installed my UUC sway bar and KWv2's... I set the front struts at about half way down the threads (there are 24 threads remaining beneath the adjustment ring).

First, the Creaking noise: Whenever I go over bumps (bumps in the road or speed bumps), there is a creaking noise that seems to come from the front struts. The creaking noise is a lot like a door creaks on it's metal hinges when un-lubricated and opened very slowly. It just started 3 days ago, and seems to be getting worse. You can feel the creaking transmit to the floorboards of the front driver side and passenger side. I know the KWv2's are installed correctly, but could it be due to the sway bars? The UUC sway bars have adjustable end-links, but I had the UUC sway bars installed BEFORE I put on the KWv2's, and after installation of the coilovers, I didn't re-adjust the endlinks... could that be causing the creaking?

Second, the popping noise: I am pretty sure the popping noise is coming from the front springs rotating the height-adjustment ring on the struts even though they are tightened down... so basically, the tightened rings are resisting the rotational force of the springs until the springs overcome the tightened bolt and it slips. However, I have tried multiple times to tighten these rings and the tightening bolts never seem to stop turning! Could I have already stripped the threads? How much resistance does the tightening bolt give??

Complicated problem, I know... but if someone out there knows what the problem is and could help out, it would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!

Btw, ANY thoughts would be welcome... I'm going to take the wheels off tomorrow and rummage around looking for a cause, so any ideas would be nice so I can rule them out during the process... thanks guys!

COBB ProTuned | AMS | CP-e | BMS | Quaife

Last edited by skim7x; 12-28-2016 at 06:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 07:48 PM   #2
skim7x
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Wow... well that's a relief to hear (at least I'm not the only one with this problem).

So, you have been driving with this problem for a year? And you have not had any issues? I don't mind the sound as much as I worry that I'm damaging some part of the car or the KWv2's. As long as it is safe to drive with this problem without damaging any components, I'll be much more at ease...

So... no problems after driving like this for a year??

Please keep me updated after your fresh install!!!

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 07:51 PM   #3
DC_driver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW 330i

popping noise

skim7x: I bet your washer is on incorrectly (up-side-down). The srpings are supposed to rotate freely. The large washer on the top of the shock is not letting the ball bearings do their job. The washer is concave. PM me if you need more detials.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 07:56 PM   #4
skim7x
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_driver View Post
skim7x: I bet your washer is on incorrectly (up-side-down). The srpings are supposed to rotate freely. The large washer on the top of the shock is not letting the ball bearings do their job. The washer is concave. PM me if you need more detials.
Awesome... I didn't mention this in my first post because it would have made the story even more convoluted, but that was the first problem I had, which I discovered just last weekend. I had one of the washers upside down, and it was causing the spring to click when I turned the steering wheel. However, I found the washer was upside down, so I put it back in the correct position and it fixed the clicking noise on turning the wheel. However, I still have occasional/irregular clicking when I go over bumps. No clicking when I turn the wheel.

Could there be another reason why the spring would not be rotating properly? I am almost dead sure that the coilovers are installed properly and in the correct orientation. Does it need lube or something?

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 08:54 AM   #5
skim7x
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
So for the past year you never took your car in to get that sound checked? It's a pretty scar sound!!

Well, keep me updated!!

Anyone else have any suggestions??

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 11:45 PM   #6
skim7x
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
So it turns out that the creaking noise is the sound of my UUC sway bars rubbing against the AC joint (an arm that attaches to the rotor). I guess with the ~1" drop with the KWv2's I installed, the UUC sway bar drops too low and ends up rubbing against the AC joint. To fix this, you would need to shorten the endlink that connects the sway bar to the strut.

HOWEVER, for some reason, the adjustable endlink that I got with my UUC sway bars are the SAME LENGTH as the STOCK ENDLINKS AT THEIR SHORTEST!!!! I'll be calling UUC tomorrow to inquire, because these endlinks do NOT get any shorter and it's pretty retarded if the endlinks don't even get shorter than stock... UUC probably sent me the wrong endlinks?? Will update tomorrow.

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 01:23 PM   #7
skim7x
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
So I called UUC and so far I've talked to 2 ppl who work there and one of them said that they may have sent me the wrong center-piece for the end-links (which would make sense, since the shortest these go are stock end-link length).

I still have to talk to one other person there who is in charge of shipping and I'll ask him to overnight me some new center pieces so I can get back on the road. Will follow up.

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 11:04 PM   #8
skim7x
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
So I received my shorter end-links today from UUC and installed them -- but to no avail. The creaking noise is STILL THERE!!! But I'm quite sure the sway bar isn't touching the AC joint at all... I can't figure out what is causing this creaking noise... anyone have any clue!?

Maybe it's the UUC sway bar rubbing against it's brushings?

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 11:39 PM   #9
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

I had a creaking noise coming from under my hood when I first installed my JIC Cross Coil-overs. I do have adjustable camber plates along with the UUC swaybars.
Bimmerworks, who did the install, knew the top of the shocks were just touching the under side of the stock strut tower braces.
They didn't hear anything when they test drove it, but when I drove it about 5 miles the front was creaking like crazy. When it warmed up, it didn't do it as much for some reason. It made it seem like it was something loose in the interior or that the car was tightened up when it was lowered and something now was slightly misaligned in the interior.
When I got out of my car the next day, I clearly heard the sound coming from under the hood.
I took the strut tower brace bolts out and put in a small galvanized washer.
Problem solved. Dead quiet now.
I'm not sure if yours is the same problem, but it may give you something else to look at if you haven't already.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 01:29 AM   #10
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

I had some creaking noises with my TEIN coilovers but the noise eventually went away.

What if you go over a speed bump with just 1 wheel? Does it still creak? Left or right side over the speed bump make any difference? How about both wheels?
Do you have enough clearance between your wheels/tires and the coilovers? I had rubbing issues initially with my aftermarket wheels/tires in the front, and had to get spacers to clear the coilovers.

Do you get noise going left and right quickly on a smooth road? (kinda like the way F1 drivers try to heat up tires)

Also, I get creaking with 10mm spacers on the back, but not with 7mm spacers. Strange huh?

These aftermarket parts just aren't as thoroughly designed and tested as the stock suspension... I just learned to live with some of these issues, as long as things aren't getting worse (and I inspect them once every month or two).

Oh ya, and the car drives much nicer with the front coilovers set at max height, than at the "recommended" height, which is about 1.5 inches above the lowest setting. Riding high and reducing negative camber has really reduced some of the bump-steer and tramlining issues as well.

Anyway, I remember someone mentioned they had some issues with their coilovers (I think KW's) making noise, and something had to be replaced or reinstalled... bushing or stop or something I remember... did you read that thread?
      07-23-2008, 10:55 AM   #11
skim7x
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW325xi View Post
I had a creaking noise coming from under my hood when I first installed my JIC Cross Coil-overs. I do have adjustable camber plates along with the UUC swaybars.
Bimmerworks, who did the install, knew the top of the shocks were just touching the under side of the stock strut tower braces.
They didn't hear anything when they test drove it, but when I drove it about 5 miles the front was creaking like crazy. When it warmed up, it didn't do it as much for some reason. It made it seem like it was something loose in the interior or that the car was tightened up when it was lowered and something now was slightly misaligned in the interior.
When I got out of my car the next day, I clearly heard the sound coming from under the hood.
I took the strut tower brace bolts out and put in a small galvanized washer.
Problem solved. Dead quiet now.
I'm not sure if yours is the same problem, but it may give you something else to look at if you haven't already.
Where did you put the galvanized washer?? Between the top hat assembly and the strut??
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambonator View Post
I had some creaking noises with my TEIN coilovers but the noise eventually went away.

What if you go over a speed bump with just 1 wheel? Does it still creak? Left or right side over the speed bump make any difference? How about both wheels?
Do you have enough clearance between your wheels/tires and the coilovers? I had rubbing issues initially with my aftermarket wheels/tires in the front, and had to get spacers to clear the coilovers.

Do you get noise going left and right quickly on a smooth road? (kinda like the way F1 drivers try to heat up tires)

Also, I get creaking with 10mm spacers on the back, but not with 7mm spacers. Strange huh?

These aftermarket parts just aren't as thoroughly designed and tested as the stock suspension... I just learned to live with some of these issues, as long as things aren't getting worse (and I inspect them once every month or two).

Oh ya, and the car drives much nicer with the front coilovers set at max height, than at the "recommended" height, which is about 1.5 inches above the lowest setting. Riding high and reducing negative camber has really reduced some of the bump-steer and tramlining issues as well.

Anyway, I remember someone mentioned they had some issues with their coilovers (I think KW's) making noise, and something had to be replaced or reinstalled... bushing or stop or something I remember... did you read that thread?
I hear the sound when i go over any bump with either the L wheel, R wheel, or both wheels... The creaking/squeaking occurs at the moment of impact either when it first hits the bump, or when it hits the ground after the bump.

Yeah, there should be enough clearance... I had a friend from the outside look at the wheel while I was driving to see if it was rubbing, but it cleared...

There really is no noise when I turn left or right... it's only when I hit bumps.

Yeah, I really want to raise the car a little... it's really quite low right now... but freaking KW still hasn't sent me new spanner wrenches (as they forgot to include them in my KWv2 Kit).

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 03:46 PM   #12
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

[QUOTE=skim7x;3038342]Where did you put the galvanized washer?? Between the top hat assembly and the strut??

I just put it between the strut tower brace and the mount. It raised the brace just enough so it didn't touch the top of the strut itself and no noise at all.

See the red circle on the attached pic
Attached Images

Appreciate 0