BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-12-2018, 08:34 PM   #1
jbx5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 XDrive35i M-Sport

LTE Signal Booster

According to the manual, you have to register your device for it to work. I've tried to follow the directions and for Verizon at least, whether I login with my business account or my personal account, the URL is invalid. If you search for the replacement URL, regardless of how far you get, the process is never completed....

IDEAS?

From the online manual:

Quote:
LTE-Compensator - Information and User Manual

Your car is equipped with a wireless charging tray (WCA) to charge your mobile phone and connect it to the mobile network. To ensure the best possible connection a signal booster (LTE-Compensator) is used in conjunction with the WCA. The following paragraphs refer to this booster:

This is a CONSUMER device.

BEFORE USE, you MUST REGISTER THIS DEVICE with your wireless provider and have your provider´s consent. Most wireless providers consent to the use of Compensators. Some providers may not consent to the use of this device on their network. If you are unsure, contact your provider. You MUST operate this device with approved antennas and cables as specified by the manufacturer. Antennas MUST be installed at least 20 cm (8 inches) from any person. You MUST cease operating this device immediately if requested by the FCC or a licensed wireless service provider. WARNING E911 location information may not be provided or may be inaccurate for calls served by using this device.

Please observe additionally the following information

Sprint Nextel will allow consumers to register their signal boosters by calling their toll-free number.
T-Mobile online registration link: (www.T-Mobile.com/BoosterRegistration); (https://saqat.t-mobile.com/sites/SignalBooster#).
Verizon’s online registration link: (http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/...l-booster.html).
AT&T online registration link (https://securec45.securewebsession.c...albooster.com/).
U.S.Cellular online registration link (http://www.uscellular.com/uscellular...gistration.jsp).
Before use you must register your booster device with your wireless provider.

If you should be requested by the FCC to cease operating your booster you are not allowed to insert your mobile phone in the charging tray anymore unless the booster is permanently deactivated by your local BMW dealer.

You must not remove the booster from the car nor use it with any other than the preinstalled coupling device or antenna. Any modification of the existing antenna or coupling device as well as the use of other antennas or coupling devices will cause the cease of the booster´s operating license.

The booster device fulfills the network protection standards as required by the FCC, such as intermodulation limits, oscillation detection and gain limits.

Booster Manufacturer: Kathrein Automotive

Model Number: LTECOMPB0

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 09:20 PM   #2
PhatBoyG
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Garage List
Any idea how to get the serial number of the device? The AT&T web page works fine, by the way.
Appreciate 1
Xeno313.00
      12-12-2018, 11:40 PM   #3
ScottMZ3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1, 2019 X5 40i

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 05:46 AM   #4
denniss
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatBoyG View Post
Any idea how to get the serial number of the device? The AT&T web page works fine, by the way.
Same. Seems to work on Verizon as well. Just need to understand how to get serial number of it
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 11:02 AM   #5
Xeno
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i

Once we get the s/n, are all the other fields obvious? I looked at AT&T and was not completely certain.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 11:51 AM   #6
PhatBoyG
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
Once we get the s/n, are all the other fields obvious? I looked at AT&T and was not completely certain.
I just fudged the serial number and the form was accepted. I think it's more of an FCC thing than anything that actually configures something on AT&T's system since all transmitters must be registered.

The camper/RV signal boosters seem to work the same way.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 01:22 PM   #7
denniss
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Quote:
I just fudged the serial number and the form was accepted. I think it's more of an FCC thing than anything that actually configures something on AT&T's system since all transmitters must be registered.

More info please. Where did you get the serial number ?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 08:21 PM   #8
mjchernis
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I'm not sure I get it--if you just fudge the serial number, what are you actually registering or enabling on the network? Why bother with the registration? Is it just allowing the phone number to run through a booster? If so, do I need to register for each phone I'll use with the car?
Appreciate 1
volodp193.50
      12-13-2018, 09:05 PM   #9
mnewnam
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 Mineral White X5MC

Registering doesn't do anything except letting the carrier know you have one. I just used the VIN as serial. It just adds you to a database with the carrier.

We install cell repeater systems all the time in large residences and register them with the carriers (all of them since they're not provider specific). It's really for them to know who's operating them and if there are signal issues in an area they know who has them and can demand they be turned off if they're causing a problem. A home we did in West Palm was causing an issue with AT&T bc one of the amps developed a fault. They called and let us know we had to shut it down. Then got it repaired and back online. If you don't shut it down or resolve the issue they'll report the violation to the FCC who will then demand it be turned off.
Appreciate 2
Xeno313.00
      12-13-2018, 09:37 PM   #10
ScottMZ3
Captain
United_States
Rep

So wait. Im confused. What activates the booster? Having a phone charging on the wireless pad? How do other phones benefit in the car? Wouldn’t the cars booster have to be actually be registered with and on your cell providers network to work? The info from the manual doesn’t really explain anything except that the booster is there. Anyone actually have this working?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 09:59 PM   #11
mnewnam
First Lieutenant
Rep

There aren't any settings. And there is no activating it. It's just there. It isn't like a MicroCell that authenticates with the carrier with a secure connection over the internet. It is literally a radio frequency repeater. They are designed to work with one specific carrier and their hands OR multiple carriers.

Without specs it's tough to know what frequencies it can repeat.

One more thing. Booster is a misnomer. It isn't a booster. None of these devices are. They're repeaters. If there is what would be equated to 1 bar of signal outside the car that's what you'll get in the cradle with no loss.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 10:05 PM   #12
PhatBoyG
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
This explains how it works.

https://fccid.io/2ACC7LTECOMPB0/User...inal-b-2938885
Appreciate 1
mnewnam268.00
      12-13-2018, 10:17 PM   #13
ScottMZ3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for posting! This document seems to indicate it DOES increase signal strength.

Here is the text: "The Compensator is a mobile consumer Signal Booster which operates on the frequencies and in the market areas of multiple licenses and will be integrated in the car only by the car-manufacturer or in case of replacement by a professional garage. The end-user does not have to do any installations or adjustments.

The Compensator is connected with the car antenna (e.g. roof top antenna) and the coupling tray (Cradle) in series. While the cradle is located for example in the center console of the car, the Compensator itself is installed for example in the C-pillar or under the back seat.

The Compensator is a powerful and effective way to improve link quality and coverage for mobile phones when used within a car. This is basically by means of compensating losses and providing a connection to a permanent optimal positioned external car antenna. The Compensator ensures the conformance with mobile network standards as well as the compliance with country regulations.
"

The BMW manual seems to indicate that the "booster" works in conjunction with the wireless charger. So perhaps that blue charging light needs to be on in order for the booster to also be active. I'll have to see if I notice any difference.

"The Compensator only transmits signals if a wake up signal is and a signal from a mobile phone is detected. The wake up signal is generated by the cradle only if a mobile phone resides in the coupling tray."

Last edited by ScottMZ3; 12-13-2018 at 10:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 10:23 PM   #14
mnewnam
First Lieutenant
Rep

It insures that the same signal that can be picked up outside the car is available to the phone when tucked in the cradle. I should clarify that the antenna system when operating properly will do a better job than your phone at picking up a signal, so it could indicate a slightly better signal when in the charger, so what I meant is that whatever it can pickup outside is what the phone will get in the cradle.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 09:36 AM   #15
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Quote:
Quote:

How does the booster know it's been registered in order to work, or does it does work regardless of being registered?
      12-14-2018, 09:56 AM   #16
ScottMZ3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
How does the booster know it's been registered in order to work, or does it does work regardless of being registered?
From what I’m reading, it should work as long as a phone is on the wireless charging pad. That activates the “booster”. Technically you don’t even have to register it with your carrrier, the FCC just would really like people to.
Appreciate 2
skalberti613.00
volodp193.50
      12-14-2018, 10:53 AM   #17
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

As mentioned above, it’s just a simple repeater. It is required sometimes when your phone is tucked down under other electronics that can weaken your signal strength. It just give you the same signal strength as if the phone was held outside of the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 10:13 AM   #18
RevEIW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

Booster Info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnewnam View Post
Registering doesn't do anything except letting the carrier know you have one. I just used the VIN as serial. It just adds you to a database with the carrier.

We install cell repeater systems all the time in large residences and register them with the carriers (all of them since they're not provider specific). It's really for them to know who's operating them and if there are signal issues in an area they know who has them and can demand they be turned off if they're causing a problem. A home we did in West Palm was causing an issue with AT&T bc one of the amps developed a fault. They called and let us know we had to shut it down. Then got it repaired and back online. If you don't shut it down or resolve the issue they'll report the violation to the FCC who will then demand it be turned off.
So where did you get the Booster Manufacturer, Model Number and FCC Id?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 02:07 PM   #19
PhatBoyG
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevEIW View Post
So where did you get the Booster Manufacturer, Model Number and FCC Id?
It's in the owner's manual.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 09:01 AM   #20
jokinawa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMZ3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
From what I’m reading, it should work as long as a phone is on the wireless charging pad. That activates the “booster”. Technically you don’t even have to register it with your carrrier, the FCC just would really like people to.
I guess technically you don't have to register it, but most FCC rules are backed up by US law. Since this device appears to be a Class B device, I would think this applies.

Specifically for signal boosters, it appears to be this law.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/90.219

Signal boosters are required to carry a label stating:

"WARNING. This is NOT a CONSUMER device. It is designed for installation by FCC LICENSEES and QUALIFIED INSTALLERS. You MUST have an FCC LICENSE or express consent of an FCC Licensee to operate this device. You MUST register Class B signal boosters (as defined in 47 CFR 90.219) online at www.fcc.gov/signal-boosters/registration. Unauthorized use may result in significant forfeiture penalties, including penalties in excess of $100,000 for each continuing violation."
      07-02-2020, 02:47 PM   #21
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

The serial number is on the compensator itself. Remove the back left panel (first aid kit cover), you’ll see a small unit outside the RAM. It has a blue label and says LTE Compensator on it. Just registered mine.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 02:49 PM   #22
ElectroGeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
The serial number is on the compensator itself. Remove the back left panel (first aid kit cover), you’ll see a small unit outside the RAM. It has a blue label and says LTE Compensator on it. Just registered mine.
why would you register it, it's not like the FCC is coming and looking.
Appreciate 1
volodp193.50