Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Sent my wife to Costco - kill me now.

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Closed Thread

07-11-2008, 08:54 PM   #1
sageashton
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, Manual

Sent my wife to Costco - kill me now.

Okay, laugh, say what an idiot I am etc. etc. I deserve it.

I left my wife my car to go to Costco and get some tires for my e90, while I go to work. Blow my brains out now, I am ready to cry!

She goes to Costco and comes back with 4 brand spankin' new Michelin Exalto Pilot A/S tires! What did I want? Performance tires, of course! What did I get? The most craptastic, poorest handling tires at an unbelievable value of $700!
My wife was so proud, bless her heart that she got me good performance tires and "They are Michelins honey, the guy said they are the best performing tires for the price!"

Let me tell you, I drive 40 miles in a canyon per day, hence I love my BMW. Hard fast corners, off cambers, decreasing radius turns etc. Anyone know bouquet canyon in Santa Clarita? This is the stuff our cars are made for. What did these great 'performance tires' do? Destroyed my BMW's performance. I mean DESTROYED it. These tires suck so bad that I cannot believe it. I don't want to drive my car. Where my steering used to feel tight and responsive it feels like I am driving the freakin' Titanic. Do a quick swerve and the car has to 'settle out'. The sidewalls just seem to rollover it's like I am riding on balloons for tires! Sure it's fine as long as I NEVER take a fast turn!

So now you can beat me up and say whatever, but the moral of the story is NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER get these tires, EVER, EVER.

And Costco, I swear I am never buying tires from you again. What sort of idiot recommends all season in the dead of California Summer on a BMW? And then what sort of MORON recommends bottom end michelins for a BMW when the person is asking for performance tires!!!!!!!! YOU IDIOTS!!!! I make almost 200k a year, you could have just put on f'in ps2s!!!! But of course if you did not have them in stock and you wanted to make the sale, so of course put on the WORST TIRES EVER and called them 'performance'. BMW = Ultimate Driving Machine not 'ultimate lounge chair'. If I wanted that I would have gotten a CTS!

Michelin what the hell are you smoking??? These tire suck big old, hairy donkey cocks. 'European' feel? BS. Great handling? Nope, I dare you to try and stay on the road with them! I can't feel a goddamn thing on the road and as soon as the sidewalls start to roll, whoa, look out your understeering like crazy and now you have to correct to not go off the right side, but when you do that your cars starts to 'wobble' like its on balloons! WTF??? I spent $700 on tires that I will be taking off in a week and selling on craigslist to someone who drives in straight lines only. If this is Michelin as a 'premium' brand you guys are going to start losing customers quick. These tires are crap, crap, crap.

Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S. Memorize it. It's not worth half of what you pay for. Your better off buying some no name like Wanli for half the price. Crap. Bad. Problems. Not even worth putting on a Camry or Corolla.

God damn it, I feel like the biggest jack ass in the whole wide world and I just wasted $700 for the fun of it.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 09:00 PM   #2
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Damn, but at almost $200K/annually, $700 isn't anything to beat your self over like this, really.

Imagine if you only had X amount saved for tires and this mistake happened! You would be really SOL, but I'm sure you can afford to have these tires ripped off and get the right ones installed, right?

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 09:21 PM   #3
F1-Slayer
the stig
Rep
Drives: stealth

Use the tires to practice some figure 8's, then swap front to rear and work on some powerslides & drifts... at least this way your wife wont feel bad when you replace the tires 2 days later... "honey, they are completely shot"
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 09:23 PM   #4
F1-Slayer
the stig
Rep
Drives: stealth

oh and btw, after that you would spent $700 to put a HUGE grin on your face
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 09:30 PM   #5
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Sounds like a good time to buy new wheels and tires and put these away for when you get ready to sell the car.

On a side note why would you not order the exact tires you want then send the wife to discount tire, good year, where ever to get them installed? You had to kind of suspect something like this would happen. I can't be the only one who is border line obsessed with finding the perfect tire when it comes time to get new ones am I?

Maybe try returning them or telling the wife the guy pretty much lied to her and sold her crap tires even though he said they were performance tires. Make sure she understands it's not her fault but, that she was deceived and cut her loose on them. Hell hath no fury...
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 10:19 PM   #6
E30M3Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C, 97 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.00]
1989 BMW M3  [8.20]
Um, who the heck sends their woman out to get tires for their BMW??? More than that, I can't believe you sent her out without exact instructions on what to get...WTF?

I got one of the best women in the world when it comes to this kind of stuff and she knows that I pick the tires!

Oh yeah, and we order them from Tirerack or one of the local E90post vendors if we are buying a package wheel/tire. So easy, no mistakes, you get what you want, woman is happy, I'm happy, then she makes me happier!

Performance Center Delivery, June 21, 2013: 2013 E92 335is | Le Mans Blue | Gray Leather with Black | 6MT | 19" Style 313's | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | BMW Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler |
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 10:34 PM   #7
cbad335
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 335i

Garage List
Funny story. Guess you learned a $700 lesson. If I sent my GF out for tires, she'd buy the cheapest ones she could find, then try to use a coupon... hahaha
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 10:44 PM   #8
sageashton
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah, we all knew I could have, should have and all that... the problem is that it was pretty freakin' simple. "Go to Costco and get some performance tires, you know how I drive." I thought, 'okay wife is going. She is ignorant about tires, but worst case is she will over buy and I am allright." Right?

And as for 'who the hell does it' that would be me. I may make some decent money but I spend no less than 12 hours per day working M-F. She is what we call a smokin' domestic engineer and a great mother. I make the money she makes everything else... Sure I could have gone on line and told her to get X but honestly I thought it would pretty easy. Apparently I was wrong. And yes, it's not the end of the world but even when you are making an allright amount of money, throwing it away sucks. I have two kids and they have college funds, and lets face it the real estate in So Cal is ridiculous, throw in baseball, ballet, dance, soccer, swimming, driving, trying to eat healthy (which means we try to buy local and if possible organic). So yeah, I think I just going to keep these as a set of spares and get another set of rims and tires. Still though, these tires soooooooo suck!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 10:51 PM   #9
sageashton
Second Lieutenant
Rep

cbad, just read your post, that's funny. Reminds me of what my wife said:

"honey, I love you but these tires are soooooo bad. How did you get sold all season tires?"

She looks a little sheepish but says lovingly, "He said they were performance tires. They felt really nice on the way back..."

"Honey they corner like crap."

She looks at me and says innocently, "Well that just means you will have to slow down, right? That's not so bad is it?"

I weep.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 10:57 PM   #10
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
LOL ya i live in antelope valley bud theres no way your railing through bouquet on those crappy tires!! I rally through there all the time!! maybe uve seen me! lolol... Ive done some really stupid shit on that road but thanks to my 19's and Kw coilovers I stay on a rail and have yet to go sideways!! (knock on wood) the couple hairpins going towards santa clarita are fucking awesome I love powering into them and stepping on it on the way out then looking to my left as Im flying past the Fire camp place! lolol...
anyways get yourself some new 19's and youll really be handling that road!!
      07-11-2008, 10:59 PM   #11
LAbeemer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 3351

Yeah awesome idea, store these BRAND NEW tires (to be bragged about in selling ad) and get a set of nice light weight wheels and bitchen tires. Do the research pick them out and then have the shipped to you mounted and balanced from tire rack or somewhere. I would never ever ever ever tell my wife/gf she got lied to and made a fool. She was proud and girls like to feel involved in our passions (cars). Make them feel dumb once and there goes any chance of her supporting your hobby. Lie your ass off, tell her a new tire came on the market with new technology and you HAVE to have it. Then explaine the plan to use the new tires to help sell the car when your ready for a new one.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 11:05 PM   #12
cbad335
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sageashton View Post
cbad, just read your post, that's funny. Reminds me of what my wife said:

"honey, I love you but these tires are soooooo bad. How did you get sold all season tires?"

She looks a little sheepish but says lovingly, "He said they were performance tires. They felt really nice on the way back..."

"Honey they corner like crap."

She looks at me and says innocently, "Well that just means you will have to slow down, right? That's not so bad is it?"

I weep.
They're definitely a different breed.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 11:28 PM   #13
sageashton
Second Lieutenant
Rep

My wife knows I love her and really I don't blame her. She also knows that I drive. ADHD being from Antelope Valley knows. I LOVE Bouqet. SOOOOOO much fun, until yesterday and today.

ADHD, I may have seen you, but who knows. There are a couple of other bmws I see routinely: an e92 bronze, a monaco blue e92 a saphire black e90, a graphite e90 any of these you???

I am a debadged monaco. You would generally know me from Leona Valley/Lake Elizabeth/ Green Valley area.

I just pmed a couple of guys on picking some of their 17s or 18s. We'll see what happens...

BTW, ADHD I am now banning the Costco on L - they are on my sh*t list for quite awhile (but I guess you have to laugh, I mean how many BMW's do we really see in our neck of the woods!!!)
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 11:53 PM   #14
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

.... dude
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 12:10 AM   #15
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Jeez I don't know where to start. You make 200k and are complaining about a $700 set of tires? You have no one to blame but yourself, you should have given her the specific tire you were looking for. No sympathy here
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 12:24 AM   #16
harlequin314
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihyln View Post
Jeez I don't know where to start. You make 200k and are complaining about a $700 set of tires? You have no one to blame but yourself, you should have given her the specific tire you were looking for. No sympathy here
+1

if you wanted ps2s or something specific why didn't you ask for them or go yourself. they probably picked tires based on the car and the driver who brought it in. apparently they were fine and a good match because the wife said they felt good on the way home. how are they to know your driving style and salary, not that its even relevant.

blame costco, blame the wife, but should really blame yourself. sorry for pourin it on. gl buddy
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 12:30 AM   #17
NaTuReB0Y