BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-28-2018, 06:51 AM   #1
Pretzel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
Foot well temperature swings

Now with winter temperatures I've noticed that the foot well is very cold, even with heat on high to this area. Seemed like there was a constant cold air breeze coming from under the front seat.

Asked at the dealer and they suggested leaving the re-circulation off. This has helped some and the foot well is warmer.

They explained that with re-circulation on, it lets cold air in from engine compartment. Isn't that backwards??

On a long trip the temperature goes from comfortable, to very hot, to very cold with out making any temperature changes. This occurs over a period of 30-45 minutes. Tried various settings, sync, air conditioner off, re-circulation off, etc. Side windows fogged up with air conditioner off. Rear HVAC switched to off.

I have an appointment next week and they are going to check it out again.

Anyone experience this wide temperature fluctuation?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 09:37 AM   #2
Pretzel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Bump for some ideas. Rather the dealer didn't start ripping into the dash, etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 09:46 AM   #3
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

I set mine in Auto mode at 68F (20C), and it's been working flawlessly for the last few weeks, basically functioning as a set it and forget it type system.

I believe I did adjust the air temp from the dash vent to colder than mid point (iDrive), and it might help forcing warmer air to come from vents down below at the foot level since the summation of all air coming in should result in 68F I guess?!
Appreciate 2
Pretzel92.50
Fenders66.00
      11-30-2018, 10:06 AM   #4
deladude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I've done a couple six hour trips recently and haven't run into this problem, and my feet get cold pretty easily. Like Mech, I keep it on auto between 68 and 70 degrees with the fan low and it maintains a comfortable temperature the entire time. If anything it gets too warm and I turn it off for a little while.

I assume you've tried directing the air out of just the foot vents to no avail? It sounds like something is wrong to me.
Appreciate 1
Pretzel92.50
      12-05-2018, 07:44 AM   #5
Pretzel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I tried the suggestions above (auto with a little cooler dash). Foot well temperature is much more consistent now.

Previously used manual and directed to the foot well. Thought that was the way to get the most heat there. That was my mistake.

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0