BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-27-2018, 04:41 PM   #1
Airbecks
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e90

Performance Center Delivery

All scheduled for our PCD on 1/14. X3M40. Taking the wife to Savannah first then then The Biltmore on the way home.

Not exactly like my last ED, but still should be fun.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 06:49 PM   #2
JWright82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, X3 M40i

My wife and I did the PCD for our M40 yesterday. It was the first time for both of us (first PCD, fifth BMW). I can’t say enough great things about the whole experience. I left with a whole new appreciation for this car’s capabilities. Don’t know if you’ve done PCD before but it was simply amazing.
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2018, 07:36 PM   #3
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbecks View Post
All scheduled for our PCD on 1/14. X3M40. Taking the wife to Savannah first then then The Biltmore on the way home.

I've done ED twice -- amazing. And I thought about PCD the last two times (both this year).

But I would've been heartbroken to drive the car home and end up with the inevitable stone chips.

When your car comes back from ED, it's perfect. They fix anything they see at the VPC.
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2018, 07:42 PM   #4
Airbecks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWright82 View Post
My wife and I did the PCD for our M40 yesterday. It was the first time for both of us (first PCD, fifth BMW). I can’t say enough great things about the whole experience. I left with a whole new appreciation for this car’s capabilities. Don’t know if you’ve done PCD before but it was simply amazing.
Great to hear. Any tips? This is my first PCD.

This is her car. I am planning to replace my 3 series next year. Will likely to ED again and maybe PCD after!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 07:46 PM   #5
Airbecks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
Quote:

I've done ED twice -- amazing. And I thought about PCD the last two times (both this year).

But I would've been heartbroken to drive the car home and end up with the inevitable stone chips.

When your car comes back from ED, it's perfect. They fix anything they see at the VPC.
I know what your talking about. My 335i was hit on the bumper while in Italy and it was totally gone when it showed up again.

But my wife hid a little token in the car and it was still there after we picked up the car in the states. Sort of our little game.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 08:21 PM   #6
JWright82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, X3 M40i

Quote:

This is her car. I am planning to replace my 3 series next year. Will likely to ED again and maybe PCD after!
The instructors are awesome, so don’t hesitate to obey their commands and beat the track cars as hard as they’re telling you to. I was not prepared to drive an M40 as hard as we were told to drive it, and after completing all portions of the track and off road driving sessions we were blown away with how capable a car this is. We just felt like there was no way to know what it’ll do without being pushed to drive it like this by someone else. My wife enjoyed it as much as I did, so be sure yours participates as well. You’ll both love it.
Appreciate 1
MechX3M40i1006.00
      11-27-2018, 10:07 PM   #7
Airbecks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWright82 View Post
Quote:

The instructors are awesome, so don’t hesitate to obey their commands and beat the track cars as hard as they’re telling you to. I was not prepared to drive an M40 as hard as we were told to drive it, and after completing all portions of the track and off road driving sessions we were blown away with how capable a car this is. We just felt like there was no way to know what it’ll do without being pushed to drive it like this by someone else. My wife enjoyed it as much as I did, so be sure yours participates as well. You’ll both love it.
This is great. I am sure it will take some coaxing to get my wife to drive aggressively, but it will be fun watching!!

I on the other hand expect to explore the"envelope".

Thanks for the hints....
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 06:29 AM   #8
bmwgrande
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
My wife was skeptical of how much fun it would be, and somewhat intimidated by the off-road and skid tracks. But once behind the wheel, she had a blast and try to drive more aggressively than I did. As JWright82 said, definitely drive their vehicles as hard as you're comfortable.

I'd also say to think about the aspects of the car that you're not clear on, and be prepared to ask the genius questions during that segment. You get 2 hours to go over every feature of the car, and the geniuses are up to speed on all the updates for the vehicles. I wanted to deep dive on the tech and understand iDrive, as my '06 325i didn't have it, and so read the owner's manual for some sections ahead of time and asked about the things I wasn't clear on.

Have fun and enjoy!
      11-28-2018, 06:34 AM   #9
Airbecks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwgrande View Post
My wife was skeptical of how much fun it would be, and somewhat intimidated by the off-road and skid tracks. But once behind the wheel, she had a blast and try to drive more aggressively than I did. As JWright82 said, definitely drive their vehicles as hard as you're comfortable.

I'd also say to think about the aspects of the car that you're not clear on, and be prepared to ask the genius questions during that segment. You get 2 hours to go over every feature of the car, and the geniuses are up to speed on all the updates for the vehicles. I wanted to deep dive on the tech and understand iDrive, as my '06 325i didn't have it, and so read the owner's manual for some sections ahead of time and asked about the things I wasn't clear on.

Have fun and enjoy!
Thanks.......the Tech side for my wife is the scary part. I envision answering calls for three months from her about ..."how do I do this". So yes the Genius section is super important.

I have the earlier version of Idrive in mine, but this is a whole new level of tech!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 11:01 AM   #10
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post

The first time I did PCD, I brought two rolls of blue masking tape, and completely taped up the front of the car until I got back to Ohio and had it clear-bra'd. Got some strange looks on the road, but it was worth it