BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-27-2018, 02:39 AM   #1
Matt1002
Private
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 xDrive20i M Sport

Garage List
VIN is “registered” what does this mean?

Hi guys!

Got an email 14th of nov with the VIN of the car, and stating it was being produced. Now I tried a couple times to decode the vin online, but it would say invalid VIN. I tried again today, and it works! The car shows up with all the correct details. It says “Production date 23-11-2018” is this the day the car was finished or is it possible they are still building it? We are due an update this Thursday from the dealer but I don’t want to wait :P

I put the vin in ConnectedDrive app and I used to get “invalid vin” or “vin does not exist” now it says “this car is not equipped with connecteddrive” which makes sense since from what I know they activate ConnectedDrive when it has been delivered.

Anyone know what this could mean? Has my x3 been built? Would be awesome!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 03:02 AM   #2
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i LCI Tanzanite Blue II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1002 View Post
Hi guys!

Got an email 14th of nov with the VIN of the car, and stating it was being produced. Now I tried a couple times to decode the vin online, but it would say invalid VIN. I tried again today, and it works! The car shows up with all the correct details. It says “Production date 23-11-2018” is this the day the car was finished or is it possible they are still building it? We are due an update this Thursday from the dealer but I don’t want to wait :P

I put the vin in ConnectedDrive app and I used to get “invalid vin” or “vin does not exist” now it says “this car is not equipped with connecteddrive” which makes sense since from what I know they activate ConnectedDrive when it has been delivered.

Pretty sure the production date is the day it rolls out of the factory. You should be able to put the VIN into the "Driver's Guide" app on your phone and bring up your tailored manual also.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 04:15 AM   #3
smanji
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Alpine White

Garage List
Quote:
Hi guys!

Thats the day it completed production "fully assembled". If you check with BMW live chat they should give you a build code of 9000 to signify it has left the factory! I found the dealers to be quite slack with the updates. i preferred to check my self with the BMW live chat service. you will need the order number to do this which the dealer can provide.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 06:14 AM   #4
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

For US owners, the build date is when the car comes out of the body/paint shop and enters assembly. That is the day the VIN goes active in databases.

Prior to that, the car can be in "production started" status for 7-14 days while the body is assembled and painted. They do assign a VIN at the beginning of that status, but it's not in any databases yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 11:02 PM   #5
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

If your prod date is 23-11, being in the Netherlands, you're likely not to get your car until January 2019, or maybe even February....I would call BMW GENIUS and ask them - they, by far, have the most accurate information. Your salesperson - also has access to the system but it also depends on how good a relationship you have with him for him to give you consistent updates on your car.
      11-28-2018, 07:21 AM   #6
Matt1002
Private
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 xDrive20i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC3 View Post
If your prod date is 23-11, being in the Netherlands, you're likely not to get your car until January 2019, or maybe even February....I would call BMW GENIUS and ask them - they, by far, have the most accurate information. Your salesperson - also has access to the system but it also depends on how good a relationship you have with him for him to give you consistent updates on your car.
Yeah, Jan/Feb was the promised delivery date so that’s fine. A week after we ordered the car we got an e-mail saying our order was received but that the car would be BUILT in February, and we were not at all pleased by that since a week prior to that we were promised January or February Delivery. We were very direct and honestly told them that if they can’t manage to hold their promise, they could consider the order canceled. No reply until we went to the main dealer here in the Netherlands and confronted them about it. Magically, within a couple days of that visit to the dealer, our car was taken into production! Our dealer is not very communicative but said he was going to call every two weeks to give an update, which means tomorrow he should call.

Fun fact tho; when we ordered the car we were told that an email would be sent asking for the downpayment (approx 10% of the price of the car) but although we did get a confirmation from BMW AG, never did we actually get a request to make the downpayment.... I guess since it’s a diplomatic order they are pretty sure we aren’t gonna run away? Bold guess to make though
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 07:46 AM   #7
Airbecks
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e90

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC3 View Post
Yeah, Jan/Feb was the promised delivery date so that's fine. A week after we ordered the car we got an e-mail saying our order was received but that the car would be BUILT in February, and we were not at all pleased by that since a week prior to that we were promised January or February Delivery. We were very direct and honestly told them that if they can't manage to hold their promise, they could consider the order canceled. No reply until we went to the main dealer here in the Netherlands and confronted them about it. Magically, within a couple days of that visit to the dealer, our car was taken into production! Our dealer is not very communicative but said he was going to call every two weeks to give an update, which means tomorrow he should call.

Fun fact tho; when we ordered the car we were told that an email would be sent asking for the downpayment (approx 10% of the price of the car) but although we did get a confirmation from BMW AG, never did we actually get a request to make the downpayment.... I guess since it's a diplomatic order they are pretty sure we aren't gonna run away? Bold guess to make though
Following
Appreciate 0