BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-17-2018, 11:29 AM   #1
Maccaz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4

CarPlay

I was told by my dealer that my car not having CarPlay from order wasn’t a problem and that I could just buy from the connected drive store but it doesn’t show as an option when searching the store.

When I put my vin number into the bmw CarPlay preparation site it also says not avaiable.

Have I been given duff information here or is there a way around this?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 11:57 AM   #2
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccaz View Post
I was told by my dealer that my car not having CarPlay from order wasn’t a problem and that I could just buy from the connected drive store but it doesn’t show as an option when searching the store.

When I put my vin number into the bmw CarPlay preparation site it also says not avaiable.

Have I been given duff information here or is there a way around this?

Thanks
You can only add CarPlay afterwards if you ordered the enhanced Bluetooth pack, otherwise you don't get the WiFi antenna that is a requirement for CarPlay to work
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 12:02 PM   #3
kevinkay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

I was told navigation was the "must" to add carplay
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 12:25 PM   #4
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkay View Post
Yes it needs Pro Nav but that is standard in UK on M-Sport and M40 models but we don't get CarPlay as standard
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 12:39 PM   #5
Maccaz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Same, no mention of Bluetooth, just the ~£300 to buy from the store.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 01:08 PM   #6
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccaz View Post
Quote:
Same, no mention of Bluetooth, just the ~£300 to buy from the store.
It says it on BMW configurator under the CarPlay option that if not ordered with car it can only be added afterwards if you have enhanced Bluetooth
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 01:12 PM   #7
arjav
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Mine didn't have the enhanced Bluetooth/wifi and was told I could not add CarPlay either by BMW.

I was able to buy the code from the site below for about $100. They send you a file, load it onto a USB flash drive and load into your car. It was super easy and took about 15 minutes to complete. The only downside, is that since the car does not have the enhanced Wifi chip, you have to keep your iPhone close to the dash. Which isn't a problem for me since I usually leave my phone in the cup holder anyways.

https://bmwcarplay.ecwid.com/Apple-C...or-6-p87220449

Message me if you have questions.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 01:20 PM   #8
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Hmmmm.....so safe to assume that if I DID order my build with Carplay (as part of the Premium Package) - I do have the enhanced Bluetooth pack yes?
      11-17-2018, 01:27 PM   #9
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC3 View Post
Hmmmm.....so safe to assume that if I DID order my build with Carplay (as part of the Premium Package) - I do have the enhanced Bluetooth pack yes?
No, I have heard that they install that Wifi antenna just for CarPlay behind the head unit.
      11-17-2018, 01:32 PM   #10
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogren View Post
No, I have heard that they install that Wifi antenna just for CarPlay behind the head unit.
That's odd then.....Cause nowhere in my build was there an option for enhanced Bluetooth at all. I hope it's not tied to the wireless charging option.....which i Did not get.
      11-17-2018, 01:32 PM   #11
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes that's correct, that's why you can order it without WiFi option for a new build as they then add the antenna in the factory for CarPlay

You can get a aftermarket antenna added and then get CarPlay coded although it still won't show on connected drive store but that's no big issue
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 01:34 PM   #12
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That's odd then.....Cause nowhere in my build was there an option for enhanced Bluetooth at all. I hope it's not tied to the wireless charging option.....which i Did not get.
It may be different for different markets but in U.K. wireless charging is tied to enhanced Bluetooth
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 02:12 PM   #13
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 x30i

Quote:
For MY2018, it's tied to the wireless charging option; without that, the option to buy (the 20-year subscription to) carplay will not appear.

However, people have supposedly been able to get the carplay purchase option to appear without the wireless charging option, by adding the wifi antenna and doing some coding.

Edit: the above is for the US. It's different in other parts of the world.

Last edited by darrylo; 11-17-2018 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 02:59 PM   #14
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylo View Post
For MY2018, it's tied to the wireless charging option; without that, the option to buy (the 20-year subscription to) carplay will not appear.

The 20 year subscription was an option for the 2018 model. For 2019 you get the it free for a time, not sure how long, and then it's a subscription like Sirus radio is.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 03:11 PM   #15
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 x30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan321 View Post
The 20 year subscription was an option for the 2018 model. For 2019 you get the it free for a time, not sure how long, and then it's a subscription like Sirus radio is.
Yes, you only get one free year with MY2019. After that, it's $80/year. Greedy $%^&*!@#!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 05:19 PM   #16
arjav
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Yes that's correct, that's why you can order it without WiFi option for a new build as they then add the antenna in the factory for CarPlay

You can get a aftermarket antenna added and then get CarPlay coded although it still won't show on connected drive store but that's no big issue
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You don't need the antenna to get the car play code. I don't have the Antenna and bought the code $100 online and now I have car play. Only down side is I have to keep my iPhone close for the dash in the cup holder. Which is no big deal and saves you from taking apart the whole dash.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 05:24 PM   #17
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjav View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You don't need the antenna to get the car play code. I don't have the Antenna and bought the code $100 online and now I have car play. Only down side is I have to keep my iPhone close for the dash in the cup holder. Which is no big deal and saves you from taking apart the whole dash.
I appreciate that but it will compromise the experience, if you have the antenna you can just leave the phone in your pocket and CarPlay will work fine
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 05:26 PM   #18
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I appreciate that but it will compromise the experience, if you have the antenna you can just leave the phone in your pocket and CarPlay will work fine
Compromise in what way?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 05:33 PM   #19
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Compromise in what way?
I just meant you have to position the phone being used for CarPlay in the right spot every time you get in car
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 05:37 PM   #20
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Compromise in what way?
I just meant you have to position the phone being used for CarPlay in the right spot every time you get in car
Ah - I was wondering if it would result in audio issues etc if the phone was too far away.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 05:42 PM   #21
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Compromise in what way?
Ah - I was wondering if it would result in audio issues etc if the phone was too far away.
If there is no antenna I don't think it would work if too far away but not experienced it though, a previous poster said it had to be in cup holder to work on theirs but maybe US cars are different?
Appreciate 1
sahajesh2294.00
      11-17-2018, 05:57 PM   #22
jjrandorin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435 & 2016 X5D

Quote:
Enhanced bluetooth is tied to wireless charging on the X30 for sure in the US (I just checked the order guide stickied above).

6NW requires ordering ZPP
6NW will add 6WD and ZEB to the order
6NW will delete STD or 100% equipment 6NH

6nw = wireless charging
6wd = Wireless hotspot
ZEB = Enhanced bluetooth
ZPP = Premium package.
6Nh = hands free bluetooth and USB audio connection

Translated, on an X30, ordering wireless charging requires ordering the premium package, adds wireless hotspot and enhanced bluetooth, and deletes standard equipment "hands free bluetooth and usb audio connection".

Also probably means that unless you code enhanced bluetooth you wont have bluetooth audio but I dont know that for sure... thats what it looks like to me anyway. Someone with an X30 without wireless charging will have to confirm that they can stream bluetooth audio or not.
Appreciate 0