BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-16-2018, 08:33 PM   #1
PerthBMW
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
I just Placed my Australian Order

Hi

I just placed my order for a X3 M40i in Glacier Silver that will be built in January 2019 and delivered in March 2019. I am in Australia so shipping takes a tad longer.

I was able to get acoustic glass for the driver and passenger front windows included for free and I included rear seat reclining, rear window blinds and smartphone wireless charging. We get a lot of other options included as standard with the Australian specs so not much else to select.

I didn't go for the sun roof as the day I took the car for a test drive was very hot here and my head was roasted afterwards as the cloth cover didn't block out the sun at all - totally useless in my opinion. The sun roof is no good in a hot climate like the west coast of Australia (similar to California).

I was told there is a price increase come 1 January 2019, so glad I moved when i did.

I now have 3 months to wait....

Last edited by PerthBMW; 11-20-2018 at 02:02 AM..
Appreciate 2
Rbrown2765.50
ArinXal55.50
      11-17-2018, 12:17 AM   #2
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerthBMW View Post
Hi

I just placed my order for a X3 M40i in Glacier Silver that will be built in January 2019 and delivered in March 2019. I am in Australia so shipping takes a tad longer.

I was able to get acoustic glass for the driver and passenger front windows included for free and I included rear seat reclining, rear window blinds and smartphone wireless charging. We get a lot of other options included as standard with the Australian specs so not much else to select.

I didn't go for the sun roof as the day I took the car for a test drive was very hot here and my head was roasted afterwards as the cloth cover didn't block out the sun at all - totally useless in my opinion. The sun roof is no good in a hot climate like the west coast of Australia (similar to California).

I was told there is a price increase come 1 January 2019, so glad I moved when i did.

I now have 3 months to wait....:happyani m:
Congrats!
Nice spec.

But be prepared to some delays. Seems to be rather common.
      11-17-2018, 03:24 AM   #3
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Congratulations. You will love it!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 12:38 AM   #4
Mp4music
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:

Congrats on your car!

I've put Jan19 order as well for my 30i, but dealer said acoustic glass is not an available option for AU. How did you managed to get it on yours?

Btw, your date is better than me, my date is end of April

Last edited by Mp4music; 11-18-2018 at 12:40 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 02:03 AM   #5
ArinXal
Enlisted Member
Andorra
Rep

Congratulations! Same colour choice as mine!
3 months is a manageable amount of time ;-)
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 02:05 AM   #6
PerthBMW
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mp4music View Post
Congrats on your car!

I've put Jan19 order as well for my 30i, but dealer said acoustic glass is not an available option for AU. How did you managed to get it on yours?

Btw, your date is better than me, my date is end of April
Hey

Has your Dealer referred to the "Dealer Specification Guide from December 2018 Production"...as it is featured in there on page 8:
"3KA Acoustic Glazing, front side windows $500"

As you have a January 2019 production you can order it...that's the main reason why I waited as the one I test drove had bad wind noise and many guys in USA are saying same. I understand some are retrofitting the acoustic glazing directly from BMW Germany to overcome the problem.

Perhaps go back to the Dealer and ask hey??

They are reasonably comfortable with the March 2019 delivery as the Dealer had some January 2019 production spots booked for X3's so they can change the specifications to match my car. Time will tell.

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 02:56 AM   #7
Mp4music
Rep

Quote:
Hey

Has your Dealer referred to the "Dealer Specification Guide from December 2018 Production"...as it is featured in there on page 8:
"3KA Acoustic Glazing, front side windows $500"

As you have a January 2019 production you can order it...that's the main reason why I waited as the one I test drove had bad wind noise and many guys in USA are saying same. I understand some are retrofitting the acoustic glazing directly from BMW Germany to overcome the problem.

Perhaps go back to the Dealer and ask hey??

They are reasonably comfortable with the March 2019 delivery as the Dealer had some January 2019 production spots booked for X3's so they can change the specifications to match my car. Time will tell.

Thank you very much! I will try that. Not sure if they would squeeze in as part of price but I have asked twice and they said option was not available. Seeing them tommorow so I will see how I go.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 05:07 AM   #8
PerthBMW
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you very much! I will try that. Not sure if they would squeeze in as part of price but I have asked twice and they said option was not available. Seeing them tommorow so I will see how I go.
Let me know how you go...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 12:03 AM   #9
Mp4music
Rep

Quote:
Let me know how you go...
Managed to add 3KA to the order, although dealer originally demanded full price of $500. I have negotiated at $250 to be added. Given that I have already signed the contract for the car didn't had too much bargaining power to add it in for "free".

Thank you very much for PerthBMW for this information! Dealer said they were surprised that I had that information, as it wasn't available as a "customer" pack.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 12:42 AM   #10
PerthBMW
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Managed to add 3KA to the order, although dealer originally demanded full price of $500. I have negotiated at $250 to be added. Given that I have already signed the contract for the car didn't had too much bargaining power to add it in for "free".

Thank you very much for PerthBMW for this information! Dealer said they were surprised that I had that information, as it wasn't available as a "customer" pack.
Hey

Great news and I'm very pleased you got what you wanted in the car. Even at $250, it's a good outcome I'm thinking. At the end of the day it is always fun to know more than the Dealer so you won out in the end.

Congrats and now the waiting game for both of us.

Appreciate 1
      11-19-2018, 03:14 AM   #11
AussieMarkF
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 X3 30d M Sport and 20

Ii placed an order with my Newcastle, NSW, BMW dealer for an X3 MSport 30d, in early October and was lucky enough to have it built on 24 October. It was looking like I would receive it late December. Phytonic blue with Tartufo Merino.

I was given the VIN by the dealer so I could look it up and track it. Which I did over the weekend and was reading through the details of the spec of the vehicle and discovered it had been built WITH a panoramic sunroof. I ordered it WITHOUT a panoramic sunroof, as I find they tendto make the car super hot under the Aussie sun.

Dealer admitted the error. Asked me if I wanted to take delivery of the built car, with a free sun roof. It was tempting, but I said no thank you.

They are working on locating another build slot for a replacement vehicle! I will be checking the order of the replacement car before they press send on this one!

Has this happened to anyone else?

The new X3 panoramic sunroof looks great but is bigger than ever and allows too much heat to enter the cabin, in my view.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 03:20 AM   #12
Mp4music
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieMarkF View Post
Ii placed an order with my Newcastle, NSW, BMW dealer for an X3 MSport 30d, in early October and was lucky enough to have it built on 24 October. It was looking like I would receive it late December. Phytonic blue with Tartufo Merino.

I was given the VIN by the dealer so I could look it up and track it. Which I did over the weekend and was reading through the details of the spec of the vehicle and discovered it had been built WITH a panoramic sunroof. I ordered it WITHOUT a panoramic sunroof, as I find they tendto make the car super hot under the Aussie sun.

Dealer admitted the error. Asked me if I wanted to take delivery of the built car, with a free sun roof. It was tempting, but I said no thank you.

They are working on locating another build slot for a replacement vehicle! I will be checking the order of the replacement car before they press send on this one!

The new X3 panoramic sunroof looks great but is bigger than ever and allows too much heat to enter the cabin, in my view.
Hmm.. Hard call. It's $3K option and it does make it great for passengers at the back. But saying that I have ordered with it so wrong person to ask. I would have taken it happily

Why don't you try Jan 19 build rather than Nov/Dec build so maybe you could sell it as 19 build when time comes?

Last edited by Mp4music; 11-19-2018 at 03:20 AM.. Reason: misuse of word
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 02:01 AM   #13
PerthBMW
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieMarkF View Post

Hi

I have the same view as you that the sunroof lets in too much heat especially here in Australia - I didn't pick the option either due to the poor quality fabric cover that comes with it.

Out of interest, I was talking to a guy from Tint-a-Car and mentioned the sunroof and he said he has had a few clients with new X3/X4's who have had the sunroof glass tinted to reduce the heat. He said it isn't as effective as the previous solid sunroof covers but does significantly reduce the amount of heat coming into the car.

May be worth thinking about to keep the $3,000 gift if you are so inclined??

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 05:12 AM   #14
KapwnieIsland
Rep
Drives: X3 30i Xline

Interesting commentary regarding the heat in the cabin with the Pano roof - we’re in Melbourne, having bought the car in June, so can’t say we’ve had scorchers. It seems fine at the moment, on the odd 30c day we’ve had since then. We’ve really liked the pano roof because it lightens up the whole cabin and you get a sense of the outdoors. It’s a great distraction for the little one too
Appreciate 1
JamieA92.50
      11-26-2018, 07:02 AM   #15
thehaloboy
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp G80

I have the sunroof in Brisbane, and I dont have an issue with heat in my 30i. Not as effective as the old solids, but I like the fact it lets more light into the cabin. The sunroof if awesome though, and people in the back love it, and gives a feeling of a lot more space. Great at night time as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 01:18 AM   #16
PerthBMW
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Have had it confirmed by the Dealer that my X3 M40i is scheduled for a 5 January 2019 production run which is exciting. Down side they ship it via a very slow boat to get to Perth - Western Australia, so not expecting delivery until late February, early March 2019.

If I have the production number does anyone know how you can track the production etc from here in Australia? I know we can't log onto My BMW account as that for USA only I think.

Anyway, at least I know it's booked to be built.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 03:44 AM   #17
Boosh99
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i & X1 xDrive25i

Quote:
Have had it confirmed by the Dealer that my X3 M40i is scheduled for a 5 January 2019 production run which is exciting. Down side they ship it via a very slow boat to get to Perth - Western Australia, so not expecting delivery until late February, early March 2019.

If I have the production number does anyone know how you can track the production etc from here in Australia? I know we can't log onto My BMW account as that for USA only I think.

Anyway, at least I know it's booked to be built.
Unless something has changed, you can't track aus deliveries through manufacturing stages. Your dealer can provide status updates and when they advise which ship it is on, you can then track shipment. Then allow 1-2 weeks post your ports delivery for dealer dealer to you. You do use my bmw, but I found it didn't work until after delivery, although I could load the manual on my iPhone a few days before car started production.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 07:40 AM   #18
bmwgrande
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Congrats and enjoy!
      01-14-2019, 02:24 AM   #19
PerthBMW
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
There is nothing worse than finding out you have been lied to by the Sales Executive when buying a car.

As part of the negotiation for my car I was assured by the Dealer they had a number of X3's booked for production in January 2019, and specifically two in early January 2019. These builds where booked for the Dealer but the car specifications weren't yet allocated but once I placed my order, one would be spec'ed up to be my car.

I placed the order and in late December 2018 was advised I had a 5 January 2019 build and was given the production number.

When I read on the forum that the X3/X4 production line was closed until 9 January 2019, I became concerned BMW would have a hard time building my 5 January 2019 production with the factory closed!!

Since 31 December 2018, I have been chasing the Sales Executive to clarify what was going on. She finally responded today (2 weeks later) and advised she misread the information and that it wasn't a 5 January build, but the 5th week of January 2019, making it a 27 January 2019 build.

I honestly didn't know what to say as she was obviously making up stories. One thing I have learnt about BMW over the past 8 years of owning one and now purchasing a new car, there is a massive disconnect between their brand values and the actual service offering you ultimately receive. They are comfortable to lie to your face and not blink an eye.

Oh well...why am I surprised for.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 08:13 AM   #20
TheMooseMan
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 30i

That's really bad! It seems that it's common to spot miscommunication between dealerships and the manufacturing plant. It's sad to see this kind of problem on a luxury brand that's supposed to offer so-called luxury cars and services.

Where did you read the production line would be closed until 9 January?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 08:22 AM   #21
Kippiis
Registered
Rep

Congratulations! Hope you will have a good ride!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 07:06 PM   #22
PerthBMW
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMooseMan View Post
That's really bad! It seems that it's common to spot miscommunication between dealerships and the manufacturing plant. It's sad to see this kind of problem on a luxury brand that's supposed to offer so-called luxury cars and services.

Where did you read the production line would be closed until 9 January?
On this forum - a few people commented that the main factory opened 2 January 2019 but that the X3/X4 line didn't reopen and start production again until 9 January 2019.

I have a Facebook post from a Spartanburg worker who also said the same thing.
Appreciate 0