BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-12-2018, 01:51 PM   #1
Maccaz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4

Hello and Exhaust Tips

Hi Guys,

Just picked up a new X3 30D M Sport to sit alongside my M4 and my only bug bear is the exhaust tips...don't ask me why but it is.

Other than buying the M40i, do you think its possible to buy the exhaust tips and lower rear bumper section from the M40i and retrofitting? I much prefer the lower rear of the M40i.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 04:07 AM   #2
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
Since the M40i and M40d both have that rear bumper section and the dark trapezoidal exhaust tips, i don't see why not.

Best bet is probably to compare yours with an M40i or M40d on realoem.com - that should show you what parts are different on the rear bumper.
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 04:12 AM   #3
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
Here's the bumper trim from the M40i:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_6894

And here are the tailpipes:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=18_1289
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 08:09 AM   #4
Maccaz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post
Since the M40i and M40d both have that rear bumper section and the dark trapezoidal exhaust tips, i don't see why not.

Best bet is probably to compare yours with an M40i or M40d on realoem.com - that should show you what parts are different on the rear bumper.
Mine is a 30d so has the circular pipes rather than rectangular.

I’m hoping it’s just the lower bumper section and tailpipes.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 08:10 AM   #5
Maccaz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post
Thanks I found those but the tailpipes aren’t listed separately.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 03:40 PM   #6
Maccaz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Anyone have any bright ideas on tailpipes? Tried all the usual site and contacting tuners but no luck so far.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 04:20 PM   #7
jjrandorin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435 & 2016 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccaz View Post
Hi Guys,

Just picked up a new X3 30D M Sport to sit alongside my M4 and my only bug bear is the exhaust tips...don't ask me why but it is.

Other than buying the M40i, do you think its possible to buy the exhaust tips and lower rear bumper section from the M40i and retrofitting? I much prefer the lower rear of the M40i.

Thanks
I have a question (its just a question, as I am trying to understand the differences in car culture between the US and other places. its not ment to be an accusation).

Since you have an M4, what would your thoughts be if you saw someone with a 428 coupe that had modified their exhaust to add quad exhaust tips?

Here in the US, that would generally be frowned on by "car people". Would it be the same where you are?

If you would frown on the above for any reason, what is the difference between that and doing what you are proposing to the X3 other than the fact its a different platform?

Remember, these are just questions, I am not accusing, throwing shade, or anything else as I know these tend to be debated topics. I am of the opinion someone can do with their car whatever they want to. Many people make external modifications to make their car more attractive to them, and or others.

While I think someone can do whatever they want with their own car, I am not a fan specifically of modifying the exhaust from one model BMW to look like another one.

Just wondering if this is different internationally than it is usually perceived here. I am making all these qualifying statements to ensure my intention with the question is not mis interpreted.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 04:49 PM   #8
Jayf30
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i Dark Graphite Cogn

Just get a muffler delete
Attached Images

11-25-2018, 05:20 PM   #9
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d - Black Sapphire

Personally, I think it’s one thing changing your tail pipes but then some take it to another level when they badge their car as an M. If they keep the badging original then it’s more acceptable. The thing is, those who know what they’re looking at will never be fooled and may scoff, but those who know little about cars will still be non the wiser by whatever badge it is wearing - they won’t know the difference between 318i or an M3
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 05:23 PM   #10
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d - Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayf30 View Post

This looks fine as it’s still on original badging.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 09:12 AM   #11
Maccaz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
I have a question (its just a question, as I am trying to understand the differences in car culture between the US and other places. its not ment to be an accusation).

Since you have an M4, what would your thoughts be if you saw someone with a 428 coupe that had modified their exhaust to add quad exhaust tips?

Here in the US, that would generally be frowned on by "car people". Would it be the same where you are?

If you would frown on the above for any reason, what is the difference between that and doing what you are proposing to the X3 other than the fact its a different platform?

Remember, these are just questions, I am not accusing, throwing shade, or anything else as I know these tend to be debated topics. I am of the opinion someone can do with their car whatever they want to. Many people make external modifications to make their car more attractive to them, and or others.

While I think someone can do whatever they want with their own car, I am not a fan specifically of modifying the exhaust from one model BMW to look like another one.

Just wondering if this is different internationally than it is usually perceived here. I am making all these qualifying statements to ensure my intention with the question is not mis interpreted.
For me, the change of tailpipes, is purely cosmetic. Im not looking for any performance increase or to fool anyone, its just to appease my pickiness and opinion on the appearance. Its only something Id like to do if possible, its not a deal breaker and clearly didn't stop me buying the car.

Having an M4, and previously owning other M3 and M cars, Ive seen my fair share of basic 3 and 4 series with M badges and other items trying to "pretend to be" proper M cars. Whilst I did possibly let out a little laugh at those people, its up to them how they want to change their car, if anything it was nice knowing people are trying to replicate the car you own.

Im not bothered what other people think in regards to their opinions on my cars. the change of exhaust tips is just for my own satisfaction, im not out to trick anyone into thinking I have an M40i, if I was that bothered I would have put up the extra cash to get one.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 09:14 AM   #12
Maccaz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I'm hoping theres someone out there who has done the same and can sell me just the tips as I cant find them anywhere....I've asked BMW parts department at my dealer and they're scratching their heads.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 09:25 AM   #13
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Quote:
Ahhh so sick.
Appreciate 1
Jayf30633.00
      11-26-2018, 09:54 AM   #14
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M40i 2018 & X128i 2014

I like that. Here is the link to the actual thread.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1539101
Appreciate 1
Jayf30633.00
      11-26-2018, 10:57 AM   #15
j1980mac
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Man these look great.
Appreciate 1
Jayf30633.00
      11-26-2018, 07:38 PM   #16
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccaz View Post
I'm hoping theres someone out there who has done the same and can sell me just the tips as I cant find them anywhere....I've asked BMW parts department at my dealer and they're scratching their heads.
The tips are welded to the exhaust pipes which also are welded to the muffler.
The stock M40i tips aren't available by themselves.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 02:07 PM   #17
rega1000
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i and BMW I3

Quote:
Hi Jay.

Do you remember where you bought the tail pipes?
I have been looking for these type for a while….

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 02:58 PM   #18
Jayf30
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i Dark Graphite Cogn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rega1000 View Post
Quote:
Hi Jay.

Do you remember where you bought the tail pipes?
I have been looking for these type for a while….

Thanks
My local muffler shop had them on hand.
The issue with these tips and other similar tips is that they will only work with a muffler delete. Or at least they will look best that way. The total length of the quad tips from inlet to dual outlet is around 9 inches and that is way too long for the "L" bend from the muffler. If you cut the stock tips off and stuck these on they would stick out like 5 inches. Deleting the muffler allowed the piping to be straight sooner to accommodate for the length of the tips.

You would need to find a stubby/ shorter tip in order to make it work with the stock muffler and I'm not sure if anyone makes those but wouldn't hurt to look.
      01-14-2022, 05:49 PM   #19
fdpxfunix
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 30d M Sport

I too have a 30d and would like to change the rear silencer for something stainless. There was a guy on here that built his own rear silencer, but that’s too complicated for me.

I’ve been looking at companies like this… https://www.profusioncustoms.com/ …to build me something custom. I’m not after performance (it’s a diesel and never going to sound like a race car), but I just want better looks, slightly bigger tail pipes (maybe carbon fiber) and stainless work for the rear of the system. Unsure if I want the bumper cut or changed, but probably would for quad pipes… but then quad pipes on a 30d …maybe not.

I come from owning Subaru Impreza Turbo’s / WRX’s in the past and loved my stainless systems on those.

J.
2007 - Vauxhall Corsa CDTi
2004 - Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 09:10 AM   #20
rega1000
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i and BMW I3

Quote:
My local muffler shop had them on hand.
The issue with these tips and other similar tips is that they will only work with a muffler delete. Or at least they will look best that way. The total length of the quad tips from inlet to dual outlet is around 9 inches and that is way too long for the "L" bend from the muffler. If you cut the stock tips off and stuck these on they would stick out like 5 inches. Deleting the muffler allowed the piping to be straight sooner to accommodate for the length of the tips.

You would need to find a stubby/ shorter tip in order to make it work with the stock muffler and I'm not sure if anyone makes those but wouldn't hurt to look.

Thanks a lot for the reply and guidance. Indeed the tailpipes are really short, I have been looking for something easy, but it seems to be very difficult to find something plug and play.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 07:58 PM   #21
JasonX3
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
What is the diamter of the tips want to do that badd
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 08:37 PM   #22
cutnsew
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonX3 View Post
What is the diamter of the tips want to do that badd
On the Ms it’s 101mm outlet diameter. So any tip with a 100-102mm opening should work
Appreciate 0