BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-12-2018, 12:10 PM   #1
Niko08
Niko08
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01

UK Diesel or Petrol (Gasoline)

Now that we have a market in turmoil in UK is there movement toward Petrol away from Diesel. I am very happy with my 2.0D MSport, the adblue is no issue, clean, economical and torque aplenty.

Has anyone done a comparison tool thing to inspire confidence through ownership of one engine or the other. Interested to see others views on ICE within UK.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 12:53 PM   #2
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d - Black Sapphire

I recently bought an M40d. I admit that I considered the petrol/diesel issue but figured that there's still a bit of life left in BMW diesels for now. I am a petrol head and if I'd gone for a coupe type car, I would have chosen petrol. But for a fairly heavy SUV, which needs to tow now and again I went for diesel. The gap between diesel and petrol prices at the pump might get bigger, but it's going to have to go some way before the diesel breaks even with petrol re running costs. Although the way government manipulates everyone nothing would surprise me.

Who was it that told us all to buy diesel cars? Quite unbelievable when you think about it! I love it, that they've always got a good excuse or justification.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 03:07 PM   #3
MediaMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0dM, Phytonic Blue

I too looked at petrol possibilities, but for a heavy car, couldn't justify the poor mpg from petrol.

While I agree the diesel has scared a few to petrol, the Government has acted in a pathetic and confusing way over diesel, sending out mixed messages. Where I live, the local bus co is running worn out 52 and 53 plate buses, (Euro 3) belching out fumes, yet the city council want to ban cars under Euro 6, while making no mention of the polluting buses.

Look at the back-pedalling over rail electrification by the DfT, yet the bi-mode trains being built are not what they are cracked up to be, and are all late into service. Plus they don't have the power of the 40 year old high speed trains.

I'm happy with my 3.0d, thanks - even with the rip-off extra road fund tax.
Appreciate 1
nogren327.00
      11-12-2018, 04:45 PM   #4
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Definitely Diesel, the government will be back to pushing diesels like mad when the new Bosch diesel emmisions tech comes to market:

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-ne...-nox-emissions
Appreciate 2
Lux700551.00
nogren327.00
      11-13-2018, 12:00 AM   #5
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Definitely Diesel, the government will be back to pushing diesels like mad when the new Bosch diesel emmisions tech comes to market:

And a good thing is that BMW is almost already there. 5er is lower, but X3 is okay for my conscience.
https://www.nextgreencar.com/view-ca...matic-8-speed/
      11-13-2018, 02:08 AM   #6
ep22jg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i

I originally ordered an M40d, even though I only do low mileage.
I think that engine suits the car very well.

I then read 2 diesel bashing reports within the following week and decided to swap to the M40i!
That sounds very simplistic and this isn't the only reason, but my thinking is that as I'm not using PCP to purchase the car, the residual value after 4-5 years is important.
I don't know anymore than the next guy, but I feel, the diesel bashing will only get worse as time goes on.
The media have been allowed to demonise it and the industry have made a pathetic attempt to counteract it!
I honestly believe, diesel should have a major role for years to come, especially as the industry has spent millions on the latest (and next gen) tech to clean up the exhaust. Plus the lower CO2.
When I looked at the PCP final payments, the 40d was lower than the 40i by a little bit and although I haven't looked at the 40d recently, the 40i final payment has increased by around £1k.
Ultimately, I think it's a real shame as I still think the 40d makes good sense overall
      11-13-2018, 02:23 AM   #7
andrewX3M40d
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

I went for the diesel because I couldn't justify the extra cost of the petrol. I would have been paying more for the sound and for me that wasn't enough of a reason. I have purchased on PCP so I am relaxed about the value dropping. I always go in to these deals on the assumption that there won't be any equity and if the value drops off a cliff I just wait till the end of the term and let BMW take the hit. Also the amount of torque it has will feel amazing.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 02:37 AM   #8
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
I went for the 40i because i have owned a couple of diesels but i've owned about 80 petrols... i'm just not a big diesel fan. It smells when you're pumping it, it smells when you're burning it, and it doesn't sound as good either at idle or when you're having fun.

The only diesel i've driven that i thought was ok was one of the ones i owned, an E83 X3 3.0sd (the twin turbo one) and that was because of the torque.

The reason i didn't buy an F25 was because they weren't available in the UK in a petrol version.

When the M40i was announced i was so happy! And the difference in fuel costs between it and the M40d for 10,000 miles per year in the UK is around £300 by my reckoning - i'm very happy to pay £25 a month for the noise of the B58, both in terms of quietness on the motorway and singing up to 7k rpm
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 1
strike4A513.00
      11-13-2018, 04:22 AM   #9
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post

I sense a bit too much optimism in the articles which discuss the Bosch improvements to emission levels. No new 'break through' tech, plus the time factor to implement.

It will be good for the commercial market, where I'm sure the costs can be absorbed more easily. For smaller engines, I wait to see how easy to get to production across the manufacturers, and how costs pan out.

Plus you can't keep messing with the customers. As EV and hybrids are being pushed, dates for the death of the ICE banded about, best chance is to look to petrol hybrid X3's in the future.

I definitely see diesel having a place in the market, but I'm cautious of claims to really clean up emissions without extra cost. Either in production, or as additional running costs.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 06:16 AM   #10
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d - Black Sapphire

I get the feeling that this will be my last diesel. God only knows what I'll get next?

My brother-in-law went from a Lotus Evora to a growling Jaguar XKR and then to a Tesla Model S 90D, which he has since replaced with a P100D (Jeezusss it's fast!). He says that he can't ever see himself going back to a combustion engined car.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 11:55 AM   #11
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post
I went for the 40i because i have owned a couple of diesels but i've owned about 80 petrols... i'm just not a big diesel fan. It smells when you're pumping it, it smells when you're burning it, and it doesn't sound as good either at idle or when you're having fun.

The only diesel i've driven that i thought was ok was one of the ones i owned, an E83 X3 3.0sd (the twin turbo one) and that was because of the torque.

The reason i didn't buy an F25 was because they weren't available in the UK in a petrol version.

When the M40i was announced i was so happy! And the difference in fuel costs between it and the M40d for 10,000 miles per year in the UK is around £300 by my reckoning - i'm very happy to pay £25 a month for the noise of the B58, both in terms of quietness on the motorway and singing up to 7k rpm
That was very similar to my reason although the nearest diesel out then was the 30D when I ordered mine and I worked out even if the M40i cost me 50% more in fuel it would only be around £600 a year more for 10k Miles which is nothing in the scheme of things on a car this price, as it turns out like you say I think it would be a lot closer, I'm spending less on fuel than in my old E70 30D

I can see this being my last car before going down the Electric/Hybrid/Hydrogen route or whatever is about then so I thought petrol was the way to go and very pleased with the choice

Certainly nothing against diesel
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2018, 01:38 PM   #12
RichM50d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘22 8 Series Gran Coupe

My last few cars were diesel, and I deliberately went for petrol this time. Nicer sound, better driving experience, much more fun, no more dirty fuel pumps and clattery engine from cold. I won’t be rushing back to diesel any time soon.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 02:23 PM   #13
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post
That was very similar to my reason although the nearest diesel out then was the 30D when I ordered mine and I worked out even if the M40i cost me 50% more in fuel it would only be around £600 a year more for 10k Miles which is nothing in the scheme of things on a car this price, as it turns out like you say I think it would be a lot closer, I'm spending less on fuel than in my old E70 30D

I can see this being my last car before going down the Electric/Hybrid/Hydrogen route or whatever is about then so I thought petrol was the way to go and very pleased with the choice

Certainly nothing against diesel
I test drove a 30d for about 6 hours, drove it "normally", averaged 33mpg.
My mate's wife has an M40i and when i borrowed that i averaged about 30mpg in similar use and conditions.
My car is still showing 24mpg at the moment but i'm only 1000 miles in, and the first 500 miles i barely broke 20mpg (driving gently!). I'm expecting it to settle around 26/28mpg.

So 5mpg worse, over 10,000 miles, works out to around 60 gallons or so of fuel, ballpark. At £5 a gallon that's £300 for the year. Cheap!! I wouldn't expect the 40d to be more economical than the 30d either so i'd assume the difference may even be less than £300 a year... and that's before you take into account the residual value.
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0