THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing Best clubs for HPDE/track days?

11-06-2018, 05:32 PM   #1
esoulliard
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mineral Grey M235i 6MT

Question Best clubs for HPDE/track days?

I am curious to know what recommendations people might have regarding clubs for HPDEs. I live on the east coast and I've done 5 events with NASA. These events have gone fairly well, but I'm considering other groups for 2019 (like Hooked on Driving, Track Daze, BMWCCA, etc).

I'd like to find a group that runs at NJMP. It would be nice to have smaller run groups and more track time. I am not interested in time trials or racing. Any recommendations?
Appreciate 1
bryan_G011164.50
      11-06-2018, 06:57 PM   #2
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoulliard View Post
I am curious to know what recommendations people might have regarding clubs for HPDEs. I live on the east coast and I've done 5 events with NASA. These events have gone fairly well, but I'm considering other groups for 2019 (like Hooked on Driving, Track Daze, BMWCCA, etc).

I'd like to find a group that runs at NJMP. It would be nice to have smaller run groups and more track time. I am not interested in time trials or racing. Any recommendations?
I've only run with NASA at NJMP, so I don't have a specific recommendation for those tracks. I will say that the BMWCCA clubs I've run with have generally sponsored very well-run events and always with a focus on driver improvement.

The overloaded run group situation is definitely an issue with successful clubs. In that regard, I would say that once you're in an upper intermediate or advanced group the point-bys almost always come right on-time, and you're only held up in those sections where no passing is allowed. Even then, the drivers are moving along faster (everything else being equal), and you're not held up for very long.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 08:08 AM   #3
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

Running with other events is encouraged. But each club has a enrollment fee and can quickly add up to a few hundred bucks even for just 1 day. Use https://www.motorsportreg.com/ for all the events in the area.

The trains will always be there until you get better as a driver. first 2 run groups are painful slow in most.

Basically learn the tracks with instructor based groups; ie: porsche/audi/bmwcca, or NASA or other clubs with instructors until you are cleared to solo, than you can run with any group you want.

The worst one by far is track nights. Bunch of cowboys, i have always had a verbal with other drivers at every one of these. Its super cheap for laps tho, but you wont be putting down any fast laps with trains and inexperienced ppl signing up for advanced groups.

NASA is cool, great ppl, great program here in the NE. You can start fresh and move through the program to start wheel to wheel or time attack. Speak to your instructor or Enrikay (funny dude who talks at driver meeting) about getting evaluated for solo sign off.

Porsche/audi/bmw all share same instructors, so ask where your guy is going to be next. Ask for his contact info, plan days together. Finding a good instructor that gets you and the car is kinda tough. Most instructors would enjoy the coaching, and free track time if you plan it out with them.

Theres a new one you prob seen on facebook, trackxperience. Its usually at saftey track NY. Its different than a typical track day, its more a lifestyle experience with some fast laps included. The owner Sam is ex lambo factory driver, heard he showed up in a gt2 911 last event. I think the lower run groups can have instructors if you ask for one. Heard overall a great/ safe event and the track is super grippy. I have yet to go, but im booking next year to check it out.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic

Last edited by bryan_G01; 11-07-2018 at 08:20 AM..
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      11-07-2018, 05:54 PM   #4
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
Finding a good instructor that gets you and the car is kinda tough.
Excellent point, and one that gets into the issue of the variation in instructors. My bottom line on the subject: instructors differ from one another in a number of ways - some matter, and others do not.

This is just the way it is when the instructors are generally volunteers in a volunteer organization, and you're getting the instruction for "free" (yes, you did pay for instruction via your registration fee, but it's not like hiring a professional race car driver to coach you (that's something you can do, although it's going to cost you)).

I recommend that drivers not be shy about introducing themselves to the chief instructor of the club and asking for an instructor recommendation or two. You'll probably find yourself doing this at an event where you've already been assigned an instructor; in that case, simply ask which other instructors you might jump in their car with to see what they're doing out on the track. Then go ask them for a ride, time permitting - theirs and yours. This is one way you can maximize your bang for the buck, because this is not an inexpensive hobby. If you ride with your assigned instructor and one or two others, you'll be exposed to as much as you can handle.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 09:12 PM   #5
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
I do HPDEs with BMWCCA and Audi clubs. As a Bryan mentioned, seek events via motorsportreg.com. I joined a bunch of notification groups on their website - CCA chapters include NY, Patroon, GVC, Boston, CT, NJ AND delVal. I also joined several Audi groups. They all do events at NJMS, Lime Rock, and my all time favorite track, Watkins Glen, plus a few other tracks in the northeast. These clubs all provide great in car instruction in lower level run groups and they have trustworthy solo drivers in the advanced groups. Let me know if I can help you with any additional info. Cheers!
      11-12-2018, 05:30 AM   #6
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
I do HPDEs with BMWCCA and Audi clubs. As a Bryan mentioned, seek events via motorsportreg.com. I joined a bunch of notification groups on their website - CCA chapters include NY, Patroon, GVC, Boston, CT, NJ AND delVal. I also joined several Audi groups. They all do events at NJMS, Lime Rock, and my all time favorite track, Watkins Glen, plus a few other tracks in the northeast. These clubs all provide great in car instruction in lower level run groups and they have trustworthy solo drivers in the advanced groups. Let me know if I can help you with any additional info. Cheers!
I run with Porsche Club if America Founders Region here in DC. Our home track is Summit Point and there will be 2-3 events per year where we'll head to another track. Beyond Porsches, I see mainly BMWs and. They have instructors in the green and blue group and if you are a good and consistent driver, they will usually solo you at some point on the second day. Good group, friendly people and well organized club.
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      11-12-2018, 08:13 PM   #7
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

I’m in the dc area also. I’m a member of the local chapter and the Tarheel chapter as it runs events at Virginia Interrnational Raceway. Great but demanding track. By being a member of the tarheel chapter I’m not put on a waiting list.
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      12-04-2018, 10:05 PM   #8
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

I have done BMW CCA and SCDA events at Lime Rock. I really enjoy both but having more variety at the event with SCDA is a lot of fun. They run a lot of tracks through the year in the Northeast and have one event at VIR. Hoping to make it down there next year.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 0