BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-06-2018, 12:43 AM   #1
Volvos are boring
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Cerium grey 718 m wheels

So I went to clean my wheels yesterday, I thought a quick wash would get all the crap off, wasn't going to do the body as it seems to be coated with something which is keeping it clean? the wheels however where a mess.
After just 200 miles they were black, I hosed them down and washed them with soapy water and a mitt, the mitt was black and so still were the wheels.
I'l tied tar remover, not very successful. Then I had a brain wave, I also own a Mk 2 XR2 Fiesta Turbo which has Aleycat Wheels they are highly polished on which I use Belgum Alu polish. Eureka it worked, no hard scrubbing just put it on with a cloth and wipe off with another.
I went onto to wash the car and the Cerium grey mirror caps and front grill had dark marks which would't wash off(like rain marks) so I tried Belgum again and it worked great.
Belgum is a waxed based product so protects the items polished.
Hope this helps those out there with this type of paint
Appreciate 2
Rbrown2765.50
      11-06-2018, 09:56 AM   #2
cthomp88
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition - BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
Unsure if the Cerium grey parts are clear coated. If so probably shouldn't use a metal polish on it since it's abrasive.
It won’t get then 100% spot free, but for the wheels I’ve found a very thorough pressure washing them first helps get the brake dust off before using a brush/mitt. For the trim/mirror caps, it’s best to wipe off the water and dry them ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 12:55 PM   #3
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvos are boring View Post
So I went to clean my wheels yesterday, I thought a quick wash would get all the crap off, wasn't going to do the body as it seems to be coated with something which is keeping it clean? the wheels however where a mess.
After just 200 miles they were black, I hosed them down and washed them with soapy water and a mitt, the mitt was black and so still were the wheels.
I'l tied tar remover, not very successful. Then I had a brain wave, I also own a Mk 2 XR2 Fiesta Turbo which has Aleycat Wheels they are highly polished on which I use Belgum Alu polish. Eureka it worked, no hard scrubbing just put it on with a cloth and wipe off with another.
I went onto to wash the car and the Cerium grey mirror caps and front grill had dark marks which would't wash off(like rain marks) so I tried Belgum again and it worked great.
Off topic. OMG - XR2 - them's was the days :-) . That car was class, then they tweaked it and added a turbo.
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2765.50
      11-06-2018, 01:44 PM   #4
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spangle1980 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvos are boring View Post
Off topic. OMG - XR2 - them's was the days :-) . That car was class, then they tweaked it and added a turbo.
+1. Would love to see some pictures of the XR2.

Loved that car as a boy!

Please????
Appreciate 0