specka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
Track Days, Clubs etc

Hi All,
I really want to start taking my car to the track (Victoria, Phillip Island mainly). I have done so with motorbikes in the past but aside from the BMW Advanced 1 drive day, never done this in a car.

Are there any clubs that anyone can recommend? Does anyone here do track days and if so can you offer me advice on how to get started?

Thank you

Simon
      11-06-2018, 05:13 AM   #2
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
https://www.bmwclubsaustralia.org.au

Don’t know what they are like these days but many years ago I remember the Vic club hosting a fun day at Winton.
Appreciate 1
specka71.00
      11-07-2018, 05:26 AM   #3
deejM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Start with PIARC then piggyback into other club days. Maserati and WRX are good ones and do regular track days. If interested in Winton, circuit club and EXE do heaps throughout the year.
Appreciate 1
specka71.00
      11-07-2018, 05:29 AM   #4
specka
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
thanks guys for your replies. I was looking into BMW Club of Vic today.
I'll have a look at these new suggestions too.

Ideally I'm looking to gain access to driver training on a track and general track day laps. once a month would be ideal, possibly more. PI definitely my preference but I'd be ok with anywhere within a couple of hours of Melbourne.
      11-07-2018, 05:46 AM   #5
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Noticed there’s a BMW Melbourne club now too with Philip Island day coming up.

Don’t know about driver training these days. I did my first one at BMWs facility at the Gold Coast (yes that was a long time ago) and also with John Hebron who used to drive Gentleman Jim’s old JPS 635 at track days. That was a sight to behold. Beautiful.
Appreciate 1
specka71.00
      11-09-2018, 02:21 PM   #6
deejM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Check out driver dynamics for Sandown track days with instructors.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 03:52 PM   #7
specka
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
I've joined a club and I've also registered for Phillip Island on December 8th as well, so fingers crossed all goes smoothly.
I did see driver dynamics online and keen to do some of that type of training also.

Now to organise some brake pads and maybe different wheels/tyres if I'm going to keep at it.

Thanks guys.
      11-20-2018, 04:19 AM   #8
Smiley1175
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Winton is this Sunday with AROCA, they also have Phillip Island on the 9th I think.
Maserati club is Jan 18th, I find their days probably best run.
Be sure to flush brake fluid with something like Castrol SRF or equivalent. Definitely ditch the oem pads, they're shit for track use and will end up leaving deposits on your discs making hard shuddering.
Appreciate 1
specka71.00
      11-20-2018, 05:13 AM   #9
specka
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley1175 View Post
Winton is this Sunday with AROCA, they also have Phillip Island on the 9th I think.
Maserati club is Jan 18th, I find their days probably best run.
Be sure to flush brake fluid with something like Castrol SRF or equivalent. Definitely ditch the oem pads, they're shit for track use and will end up leaving deposits on your discs making hard shuddering.
Thanks for the info. I read about the brake fluid and unfortunately due to lack of skill and equipment I need to get the car I to a workshop for these changes, including brake pads. Bit of a hassle, as the pads will have to get changed back. does the same apply to the fluid or can I run the SRF for road as well?

Cheers
      11-20-2018, 05:32 AM   #10
Smiley1175
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Just leave the fluid in, no need to change.
Be sure to tell your dealer (mechanic) in case they want to flush it as part of regular servicing.
Brake pads aren't hard to swap if you've got basic tools.
Appreciate 1
specka71.00
      11-21-2018, 06:44 AM   #11
terminator335i
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

Bmwccv hold a fair few track days throughout the year (mostly at Winton raceway-2.5hrs from Melbourne)
$80 to join the bmwccv.
Around $200 for track days
$100 for Annual Cams license

Great place to start off and a lot of bmw enthusiasts as well.
They also do motorkhana events which I think is very useful if you are thinking about doing serious track days and wanna learn how to drive well.

If not serious and just wanna do an occasional blast around a track and long straight, try driver dynamics ($350) for full day at Sandown. For same price you can do Philip island with drive events pty Ltd.
Appreciate 1
specka71.00
      12-09-2018, 01:27 AM   #12
Muffy
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Hi Specka,

Good to see someone using their car as it was intended .

Phillip Island

Best track in Victoria by a mile. I do Phillip Island track days roughly every month with Longroup. I have tried Drive Events there too but for me it was not as good as Longroup. Longroup caters mainly for wealthy people with exotics looking to stretch the legs of their Ferraris, McLaren's and Lambos BUT there is a very good reason to pay more to join this group even if you are not in their league finanically - the cars on track are so expensive there is a genuine respect for everyone and VERY strict rules for overtaking. Essentially if you are not signalled you cannot pass at all. It makes the days stress free in terms of collisions with other vehicles. It costs $800 each day, you get 7 x 20 minute sessions plus a decent lunch, access to 3 x pro racers as instructors and there are a maximum of 20 cars on track at any time. The days are tied into shakedown days for proper racing teams so you see GT3 Cup cars testing and also other race cars and open wheelers when not on track yourself. In 14 months I've knocked my times from 2.03 to 1.52 and expect more when my new tyres go on - this is practice and tuition not tuning FWIIW.

Back to the collisions - there is another cheaper option via Drive Events ($395) - they were good but they do not really enforce overtaking rules and every bogan in their 440wkw HSV slows you down the entire track then just races off when they get to the straight By turn 2 you are repeating the convoy for a wanker who ignores blue flags... Not at all satisfying.

This leads to people taking silly risks and on the last Drive Event day I got 2 laps before a Honda Australia "executive" rolled a Type R Civic at turn 2. Session over. Then next session a Renault Megane Sport Cup 260 hit the wall after turn 12. Session over. I managed 14 fast laps all day and about 5 clear of traffic. With Longroup I get 40 laps minimum, up to 48 laps, most are clean. Suddenly that $800 is a bargain. So, if your budget allows, go Longroup. There is a day 14th December and my spot is vacant as I cannot go due to work. Try calling Luke 0418 882 264 for more info if you are interested. PM me if so as I'll need to say I referred you as they don't usually take bookings without referrals.

Sandown

Driver Dynamics run good days and while the overtaking rules are not as defined nor as strict as Longroup it is still pretty good. I've only done a half dozen as I much prefer the island, but it is still pretty good.
Do not book via Adrenaline, you can book direct and save $100. It works out under $400 and you should get enough sessions to enjoy the day. You also can get your L2S CAMS licence free as part of the booking here. The track layout helps too as the front and rear straights help with passing slower cars. Good instructors too, and nice guys.

Winton

My least favourite as it is a slow speed, twisty and technical circuit - plus 2.5 hours from Melbourne - but hey any track is better than roads, you just won't likely get past third gear...

For Winton I just booked directly with the track ("test and tune"), it was cheap, about $195 from memory plus $140 motel and parma dinner. The big issue with this track is that it is hard to pass safely and you will almost certainly get 70% of your laps in traffic.

Anyway, good luck with it all. I recommend you get Track Addict app before you go as it is a very good reference and you can record video with speed overlays, get pretty decent lap data etc. If you get serious, there are three essential buys:
1. Schroth Quickfit harness. There is no M2 version but the E90 one fits. Clips into existing seatbelts, one bracket to fit that took literally 5 minutes.
2. Pagid track pads / fluid upgrade as you will get brake fade on stock brake pads.
3. Good tyres. I have Cup 2's and they are brilliant for road legal tyres.

Cheers,

Muffy

A few photos from last Longroup day (is there an easy way to upload, this was painful):

Appreciate 1
specka71.00
      12-09-2018, 02:22 AM   #13
papertarget
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Lci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy View Post
Hi Specka,

Good to see someone using their car as it was intended .

Phillip Island

Best track in Victoria by a mile. I do Phillip Island track days roughly every month with Longroup. I have tried Drive Events there too but for me it was not as good as Longroup. Longroup caters mainly for wealthy people with exotics looking to stretch the legs of their Ferraris, McLaren's and Lambos BUT there is a very good reason to pay more to join this group even if you are not in their league finanically - the cars on track are so expensive there is a genuine respect for everyone and VERY strict rules for overtaking. Essentially if you are not signalled you cannot pass at all. It makes the days stress free in terms of collisions with other vehicles. It costs $800 each day, you get 7 x 20 minute sessions plus a decent lunch, access to 3 x pro racers as instructors and there are a maximum of 20 cars on track at any time. The days are tied into shakedown days for proper racing teams so you see GT3 Cup cars testing and also other race cars and open wheelers when not on track yourself. In 14 months I've knocked my times from 2.03 to 1.52 and expect more when my new tyres go on - this is practice and tuition not tuning FWIIW.

Back to the collisions - there is another cheaper option via Drive Events ($395) - they were good but they do not really enforce overtaking rules and every bogan in their 440wkw HSV slows you down the entire track then just races off when they get to the straight By turn 2 you are repeating the convoy for a wanker who ignores blue flags... Not at all satisfying.

This leads to people taking silly risks and on the last Drive Event day I got 2 laps before a Honda Australia "executive" rolled a Type R Civic at turn 2. Session over. Then next session a Renault Megane Sport Cup 260 hit the wall after turn 12. Session over. I managed 14 fast laps all day and about 5 clear of traffic. With Longroup I get 40 laps minimum, up to 48 laps, most are clean. Suddenly that $800 is a bargain. So, if your budget allows, go Longroup. There is a day 14th December and my spot is vacant as I cannot go due to work. Try calling Luke 0418 882 264 for more info if you are interested. PM me if so as I'll need to say I referred you as they don't usually take bookings without referrals.

Sandown

Driver Dynamics run good days and while the overtaking rules are not as defined nor as strict as Longroup it is still pretty good. I've only done a half dozen as I much prefer the island, but it is still pretty good.
Do not book via Adrenaline, you can book direct and save $100. It works out under $400 and you should get enough sessions to enjoy the day. You also can get your L2S CAMS licence free as part of the booking here. The track layout helps too as the front and rear straights help with passing slower cars. Good instructors too, and nice guys.

Winton

My least favourite as it is a slow speed, twisty and technical circuit - plus 2.5 hours from Melbourne - but hey any track is better than roads, you just won't likely get past third gear...

For Winton I just booked directly with the track ("test and tune"), it was cheap, about $195 from memory plus $140 motel and parma dinner. The big issue with this track is that it is hard to pass safely and you will almost certainly get 70% of your laps in traffic.

Anyway, good luck with it all. I recommend you get Track Addict app before you go as it is a very good reference and you can record video with speed overlays, get pretty decent lap data etc. If you get serious, there are three essential buys:
1. Schroth Quickfit harness. There is no M2 version but the E90 one fits. Clips into existing seatbelts, one bracket to fit that took literally 5 minutes.
2. Pagid track pads / fluid upgrade as you will get brake fade on stock brake pads.
3. Good tyres. I have Cup 2's and they are brilliant for road legal tyres.

Cheers,

Muffy

A few photos from last Longroup day (is there an easy way to upload, this was painful):

I will be there on the 14th... second time ever and the first was last week at the bmw driver experience day.

I will be the black m2 getting lapped by every single car
Appreciate 1
specka71.00
      12-09-2018, 04:26 AM   #14
Muffy
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by papertarget View Post
I will be there on the 14th... second time ever and the first was last week at the bmw driver experience day.

I will be the black m2 getting lapped by every single car
hahaha I used to be that black M2 but at the moment my pace is a little better than when I started and with the way they space the cars at pit release I only really get passed by the supercars for the most part.

Hope to see you there in 2019!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 04:02 AM   #15
specka
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
[QUOTE=Muffy;24090913]

Thanks for this reply, very informative.
I just did my first day on Saturday at PI, which was very much targeted at beginners, which suited me fine.
There was a lot of traffic, and tbh overtaking practices was the main thing that kept me nervous. There wasn't really any clearly communicated protocol on overtaking, though it was limited to the straights.

The Longroup day sounds fantastic though a bit rich for me currently. Maybe something I should build up to. Mind you I'd almost pay that just to get close to the type of cars that go! Thanks you for the offer re the 14th also.

I had my pads and fluid upgraded prior to the track day and they seemed to hold up well. On the other hand, the Contis that came with my car have 13k on them and they went to shit about a third of the way into each session. I also realised I was running them at way too high pressure.

I definitely have the bug though, looking to make this a regular part of 2019.