BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > 2019 M2 Comp vs. Ford Mustang GT350R - for track

11-05-2018, 09:35 PM   #1
fmandel
Rep
Drives: Ford GT350R

2019 M2 Comp vs. Ford Mustang GT350R - for track

I currently have a 2017 Ford GT350R that I track regularly. I am considering trading it for a new M2 Comp

I enjoy the GT350R on the track but am looking for a car that is more refined and nimble.

Do you think that the M2 is a good choice?
Do you recommend the manual or M-Double Clutch Transmission?

Any thoughts and advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 09:46 PM   #2
FSU_Logan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C DCT

Two totally different cars. The m2 is not more refined nor nimble. The R wins in every category.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 10:17 PM   #3
mbrunner
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911/Lotus Exige S

I would stick with the GT350R personally for track duty. Just all around better for that sort of thing. I can hear you a bit on the more refined, but apart from a slightly nicer interior you are not getting much else earth shattering in the dynamics department.

The only thing I worry about them though are engine issues. I have known 4 people personally that have had motor failures, 1 resulting in a buyback. But even the friend with the buyback bought another one.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 10:51 PM   #4
fmandel
Rep

I know its a tough comparison, but I drove a GT3RS recently and really enjoyed the auto trans and the advanced traction control. i felt like I was able to push the car hard without fear of something major going wrong.

I love driving the GT350R on track but only in Track Mode which greatly limits (or maybe even eliminates) traction control. The result, at times is a little scary. But in Sport Mode the traction control is way overreaching.

Will the M2 Comp address any of the above?

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 01:53 AM   #5
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmandel View Post
I know its a tough comparison, but I drove a GT3RS recently and really enjoyed the auto trans and the advanced traction control. i felt like I was able to push the car hard without fear of something major going wrong.

I love driving the GT350R on track but only in Track Mode which greatly limits (or maybe even eliminates) traction control. The result, at times is a little scary. But in Sport Mode the traction control is way overreaching.

Will the M2 Comp address any of the above?

thanks!
Have not driven a Mustang in a few years so can't really say, but it sounds like you are looking for a Cayman S / GTS... or if you want really benign handling, an Audi TT-RS.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 05:56 AM   #6
FSU_Logan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrunner View Post
I would stick with the GT350R personally for track duty. Just all around better for that sort of thing. I can hear you a bit on the more refined, but apart from a slightly nicer interior you are not getting much else earth shattering in the dynamics department.

The only thing I worry about them though are engine issues. I have known 4 people personally that have had motor failures, 1 resulting in a buyback. But even the friend with the buyback bought another one.
You must have friends with horrible luck. Ours sat at 900whp for ages and never had an issue. Our shop has had dozens and dozens of gt350x come through and only one has a motor failure. It had 600 miles and over 1100whp. Cam bearings were so messed up. Block was recoverable, though, and then sleeved. Car now is about the same power and runs 1/2 / 1 mile pretty regularly. The 5.2 voodoo is a pretty decent motor. I still prefer the coyote, but it's definitely a stout setup
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2018, 08:10 AM   #7
ONLYA6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M '19 M2C

Throttle House has a video comparing a Regular 350 with an OG M2 you should check out. On a tight track they were dead even with lap times IIRC.

I debated the two as well and went with an M2C since I wanted a more refined car to DD in the summer and handle track duties. This is coming from a Mustang guy at heart.
      11-06-2018, 08:41 AM   #8
fmandel
Rep

Are you happy with the decision to go with the M2 rather than a Mustang?
Do you enjoy the M2 on track?

Manual vs. Auto Trans:
Does anyone have thoughts on the manual versus auto for a track car?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 08:52 AM   #9
carl44
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C

GT4? Lots on the market from low 80s . Great track car out of the blocks . Carl
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2018, 08:57 AM   #10
kpaso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmandel View Post
Are you happy with the decision to go with the M2 rather than a Mustang?
Do you enjoy the M2 on track?

Manual vs. Auto Trans:
Does anyone have thoughts on the manual versus auto for a track car?
The auto will be significantly easier and faster for a track car.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 09:14 AM   #11
Mr Pete
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3 4.1, Golf R (daily)

I’m not too crazy about the GT350/R interior, but I would keep the R vs the M2 Comp. That’s a special car you have. I think you’ll end up missing the car a lot.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 12:05 PM   #12
FSU_Logan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDadMobile View Post
I’m not too crazy about the GT350/R interior, but I would keep the R vs the M2 Comp. That’s a special car you have. I think you’ll end up missing the car a lot.
I find the GT350R (prior to 2019 as it is standard now..) with tech package to be on par or better than the M2, but definitely agree with the latter.
      11-06-2018, 01:25 PM   #13
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

OP, I have no experience whatsoever with the GT350R, but I will say the following: We're all grown men with the maturity of 6 year-old boys on this forum! That being the case, I remember I would harangue my parents for the Trans Am Hot Wheels for weeks on end. They would finally buy it for me, and exactly 2 hours after purchase, I had to have the Lamborghini Countach!

I found that if I got a particular Hot Wheels, and felt buyer's remorse afterward, my friend Phil Smith would almost always be willing to make a trade from his collection at lunch time. Good news is that now that we're grown ups, there's a thriving used car market, and it effectively works the same as the lunch time Hot Wheels market.

If you're like the rest of us man-children, then I would have to guess that getting a new car is really about getting a new toy. And if money is no object, hell, get that Hot Wheels toy, man!
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2018, 09:33 AM   #14
mbrunner
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911/Lotus Exige S

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU_Logan View Post
You must have friends with horrible luck. Ours sat at 900whp for ages and never had an issue. Our shop has had dozens and dozens of gt350x come through and only one has a motor failure. It had 600 miles and over 1100whp. Cam bearings were so messed up. Block was recoverable, though, and then sleeved. Car now is about the same power and runs 1/2 / 1 mile pretty regularly. The 5.2 voodoo is a pretty decent motor. I still prefer the coyote, but it's definitely a stout setup
Yeah fair enough. Like any performance car things get amplified with the internet, with the volume produces I think the failure rate is in reality low. I am sure the Road Runner/Coyote had its fair share of failures as well. The luck of my friends had me spooked to not get one which is kind of sad because that motor is really something though.

I run with a club and you regularly will have 5+ GT350 at the track and have only seen 1 failure in the last 3 years otherwise they run hard, many running Hoosiers and never skip a beat.

One friend of mine was heading home from the track and the engine wouldn't start at the gas station. Engine seized (not sure root cause) but Ford replaced for him. He is happy now on the replacement.

Another that had his go recently seemed like a hole in the block (He texted me pic of the pool behind his car). It was already having random cold start misfires that the dealer couldn't address so was heading towards a buyback anyway. He picked up the R recently, and couldn't be happier.
Appreciate 0