E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > MY 2009 E92 Wont start

11-01-2018, 11:53 AM   #1
JRoldan79
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i E92 coupe

MY 2009 E92 Wont start

Good morning i been having issues starting my car and im getting a FUEL PUMP message on my I-DRIVE screen, so i took it to my local dealer and they said that NO faulty codes were found there for my warranty company wont pay for the job so i took the home and i did start for like a week and half with no issues now the problem came back..... (it start but only with a trick from a friend bmw owner that is hitting the back seat where the fuel pump is located) any suggestions on what it could be the issue and why they didnt found any faulty codes also i was reading that the MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR could affect the start up of the vehicle not giving faulty codes
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 12:40 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

which motor do you have? N52 or N51

Always check the battery first.

Does it turn over ?
Does it turn over strongly?

It would be good idea to get some diags
that show BMW shadow codes.
Bimmergeeks.net cable is suggested.

No fuel pressure might be the problem it won't throw
codes for that I think I have seen here before .

The usual no start problems.
battery
starter
ground strap from motor to chassis

N51 gas tank is subject to the internal fuel lines
breaking. This is covered under warranty in the state
it was purchased in normally . This motor has a 15
year warranty on anything that has to do with the
SULEV portion of the motor or emission system.

Last edited by ctuna; 11-01-2018 at 12:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 01:05 PM   #3
MysticRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRoldan79 View Post
...im getting a FUEL PUMP message on my I-DRIVE screen
And did you show that to the dealership?

Sounds pretty obvious the issue wasn't happening when the dealership had the car, or they're incompetent. Either way, either take it back while it's experiencing the problem, or have someone else look at it.
      11-01-2018, 01:10 PM   #4
JRoldan79
United_States
Rep

I Got The N51 Engine
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 02:06 PM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
...been having issues starting my car and im getting a FUEL PUMP message on my I-DRIVE screen, so i took it to my local dealer and they said that NO faulty codes were found there for my warranty company wont pay for the job so i took the home and i did start for like a week and half with no issues now the problem came back..... (it start but only with a trick from a friend bmw owner that is hitting the back seat where the fuel pump is located) any suggestions on what it could be the issue and why they didnt found any faulty codes also i was reading that the MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR could affect the start up of the vehicle not giving faulty codes
Quote:
I Got The N51 Engine
"issues starting my car" is a bit vague -- can you describe in more detail?

I assume (because you have a "FUEL PUMP message") that the starter cranks the engine but the engine does NOT fire, at least for a long time? If so, does the starter crank the engine at the same speed/RPM as before? Is there ANY sputter or attempt to start, or does it just crank at uniform speed? When you say "hitting the back seat where the fuel pump is located, are you hitting the seat cushion (bottom) or the seat squab/back, and on which side? Have you learned how to distinguish the sound of the fuel pump running when the car is quiet -- NO radio or other audio distractions? Do any of your "BMW owner friends" have INPA or other BMW-specific software or scan tools?

INPA or other BMW-specific software or scan tool can connect to the EKP (Fuel Pump Module) and monitor (or activate) pump operation, including voltage, amps, setpoint speed, RPM, temperature, pressure regulator signal, etc. and also read any faults stored in the EKP. You may simply have a loose connection somewhere in the pump wiring/circuit, or the pump itself may be failing.

If hitting the seat on the passenger/Right side causes the car to start, AFTER it has just cranked for 5 seconds or more with NO sputter, then SOMETHING related to the fuel pump appears to be the issue, but it could be a loose connection, issue with the EKP (Fuel Pump Module), bad connector at the tank, etc.

Your N51, SULEV model has a different tank & pump setup than the N52, and it ALSO has a 10-year warranty on some fuel tank/pump components, so you need to research that and get competent advice from someone who has been down that path with a SULEV. There are a number of threads on this & Bimmerfest forum related to SULEV fuel tank/fuel pump issues and the warranty. Do NOT expect BMW or anyone else you may have a warranty with to volunteer to diagnose & fix it on their dime. YOU will have to present your case with KNOWLEDGEABLE diagnosis of your issue and specific identification of COVERED part(s) under the warranty.

BTW, do NOT believe everything you read. The car will start with the MAF DISCONNECTED -- IF your fuel pump is running, that is. Your concerns should be: (1) WHAT is causing the fuel pump to NOT run, intermittently, AND (2) if fixing that requires anything more than fixing a loose wire or connection, are the parts covered under the SULEV warranty?

George

Last edited by gbalthrop; 11-01-2018 at 02:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 03:07 PM   #6
JRoldan79
United_States
Rep

YES it does crank at start, and im hitting the rear passenger side bottom cushion, i have no idea how the fuel pump sounds like, also i have a heavy shaking at start for like 3 seconds i dont know if this issues are related
thanks George for all your help!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 05:49 PM   #7
JRoldan79
United_States
Rep

This is the message I'm getting when I try to start my car !
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 05:56 PM   #8
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

to go further is seem you will have to look at the
fuel tank area rather than just hitting the rear seat.
The rear seat bench comes up pretty easy just
by pulling up on the front of it on both sides.
No sure if that gives access to the Tank but you might
see something.

Check this thread out
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...&highlight=N51

n51 has a long warranty that covers it for a lot
of things because of emissions.

Last edited by ctuna; 11-02-2018 at 12:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 06:30 PM   #9
JRoldan79
United_States
Rep

Could the fuel pump relay located on fuse box be a reason for my issues ?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 12:23 AM   #10
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
YES it does crank at start, and im hitting the rear passenger side bottom cushion...also i have a heavy shaking at start for like 3 seconds i dont know if this issues are related
Quote:
Could the fuel pump relay located on fuse box be a reason for my issues ?
No Fuel Pump Relay on JB (Junction Box/Fuse Box) or anywhere else on your model. The EKP (Fuel Pump Module - A13663 in Schematic) acts as a relay to supply power to the Fuel Pump as needed. Here is the TIS Circuit diagram for your 2009 328i E92:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...system/uL5g1L7

TIS circuit diagrams are "interactive" which means you can click on a BLUE component ID# (e.g. X13845, the connector at the tank) and get more information on that component, such as "Installation Location" or "Connector View." Here are the "Connector View" and "Installation Location" for the tank connector, X13845:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...i-cou/DigJtr4P
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e92-328i-cou/RabKZhX

As you can see, the connector is beneath the Right-Rear passenger seat cushion (where you are striking the cushion). The pump itself is at the bottom of the tank below that connector, and here is what it looks like:
https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/16147194207

The EKP is located behind the trim panel outboard of the R-R seatback:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e92-328i-cou/Rh3NfRD

Here's the TIS Procedure for changing the N51 Fuel Pump -- Note the photos and instructions on how to remove seat cushion, cover plate, and then view of the connector (additional wires >2 are for fuel level readout, L & R sides):
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...l-pump/OxnkwDf

It would appear that you have an intermittent wiring fault at the pump (based upon the fact that striking the cushion at that location causes the pump to run). The rough idle for several seconds after startup is probably due to time required to expel air from the fuel rail, since the injectors operated during cranking BEFORE the pump developed/maintained rail pressure.

Intermittent electrical faults are difficult to locate & identify, and a dealer would probably just throw parts at it, beginning with pump, and/or EKP, charging $400-$500 for each, plus labor.

I would recommend assessing the situation yourself, by removing the seat cushion, the access cover, and inspecting the wiring at the 6-pin connector (X13845), pins #6 (Red wire, 12V+ from EKP) and #5 (Brown wire, ground via EKP). The other 4 wires are for the fuel level senders (R & L sides), and therefore are NOT relevant to your issue as they are independent of pump function.

WITHOUT starting the engine, just with the ignition on, try jiggling those wires to see if the pump runs, and/or disconnect/ reconnect the connector checking for corrosion and cleaning with electronic contact cleaner as needed. Take photos, make notes, and report back.

George

Last edited by gbalthrop; 11-02-2018 at 12:28 AM..
Appreciate 0