BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-07-2008, 05:29 PM   #1
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

M3 oil change

got my first oil change and 1200 mile service, everything seems fine and I've been following break-in procedures outlined in the manual. My enigne only consumed about 1/4 liter as on the indash indicator it had dropped just below the upper limit arrow. So far 1,000 miles past the 1200 mile service and all is well.

So now that the first oil change is done, I asked the dealer about changing oil myself and they advised against it for the M3. Now I've done hundreds of oil changes on my cars, K5 Blazer's, Nissan's, Saab Aero's, F-15C fighter's with PW F100-220 engines. yes, Jet engines. So with that, I wonder if there is any information, manual, pdf FILE that shows how to change the oil on this beast. I would feel much more comfortable changing my own oil once I have actual tech data on how to do it. Anyone have any info on this?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 08:04 PM   #2
rmashman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

It is not a problem to to change the oil yourself.

Rob,

I watched the tech do it. And it is easy to do on the S65 V8.

If you are serious about servicing your car. I would pay $30 (in the US ) to have access to bmwtechinfo.com for a day. Leave your self lots of time-- the site is not particularly userfriendly.

There you can see pictures of the procedure and all the others that interest you. This is what I did. For the service manual they don't allow you to download any of it, so I can't attach a picture. However, you can print out the pages that interest you.

The M5 and M6 V10 have a dry sump. I have heard that, in order the change the oil according to the factory procedures you have to activate an electric pump throught the BMW Service Computer. This is unverifed info.

However, I know for sure that to change all of the oil in the M3 6 speed transmission, they activated the electric circulating pump (that goes to the transmission oil cooler) through the Service Computer. This was as described in the online service manual.

But nothing like that is required for the M3 engine oil.

On the M3, there are two wet sumps. You drain each with its own drain plugs --There are two drain plugs. You use a hex (allen head) socket. The tightening torque is 25NM-18 ft/lbs. Get the oil filter and the two sealing rings are included, at least in the US. They should be replaced each time.

There are cutouts in the aluminum M3 specific strengthing plate for the two drain plugs.

You change the oil filter from the top like any other cartridge BMW.

Make sure you use the BMW specified oil. You can see the oil and amounts in my sticky memo at the beginning of this maintenance section.

Hope that helps,

Rob from San Diego.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 09:55 AM   #3
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

hey thanks for the info. I've been reading all other posts and didn't get back to this one. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0