BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-25-2018, 08:38 AM   #1
snakehips
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M40i

My New M40i (UK)

Hi All,
Nearly 6 months after ordering I picked her up this morning. Delighted so far, and pleased with the colour combo even though I had ordered the Fiona Red never having seen it in the flesh.
My very initial thoughts are that it is a lot quieter in the cabin than my 435d (I have acoustic glass) but the ride is certainly firmer (OK for me but my wife will probably find it jarring). The HUD is superb and I am delighted to have "proper" indicator stalks!
Spending the rest of the day deep in the iDrive menus and will take it for a longer spin tomorrow.
A couple of pics...
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
Max Well4742.00
Jayf30633.00
rrao5610.00
      10-25-2018, 08:42 AM   #2
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M40i 2018 & X128i 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakehips View Post
Hi All,
Nearly 6 months after ordering I picked her up this morning. Delighted so far, and pleased with the colour combo even though I had ordered the Fiona Red never having seen it in the flesh.
My very initial thoughts are that it is a lot quieter in the cabin than my 435d (I have acoustic glass) but the ride is certainly firmer (OK for me but my wife will probably find it jarring). The HUD is superb and I am delighted to have "proper" indicator stalks!
Spending the rest of the day deep in the iDrive menus and will take it for a longer spin tomorrow.
A couple of pics...
Shocked to hear that you felt it was quiet. I love the car but I will say it is louder then expected vs an X5. However which Acoustic glass did you get just the front windows? Do you have the summary with the numbers. I wanted to add this myself. No option stateside.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 08:48 AM   #3
snakehips
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freitz View Post
Shocked to hear that you felt it was quiet. I love the car but I will say it is louder then expected vs an X5. However which Acoustic glass did you get just the front windows? Do you have the summary with the numbers. I wanted to add this myself. No option stateside.
I should add that I also have non-RFTs and that is certainly reducing road noise. But yes, just the front side windows that's an option here. The option code is "S3KAA Acoustic comfort windows" but if you are serious about having them fitted you should go look for the thread of maybe a couple months ago where someone already did this and is delighted with the result.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 08:49 AM   #4
bmwgrande
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Beautiful looking car!
      10-25-2018, 09:08 AM   #5
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Looks great, interior looks great as well, ride maybe a SUV thing you'll get used to?, I came from a E70 and the G01 rides much smoother than that did
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 09:08 AM   #6
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Quote:
I should add that I also have non-RFTs and that is certainly reducing road noise. But yes, just the front side windows that's an option here. The option code is "S3KAA Acoustic comfort windows" but if you are serious about having them fitted you should go look for the thread of maybe a couple months ago where someone already did this and is delighted with the result.
Congrats, yet another defector from F3x to X3!

Good to hear about the non rft quietness, I've ordered them on my X3 too!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 09:21 AM   #7
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Awesome, I think I remember reading them. I'm content with the run flats. Just wish Michelin made A/S 3+ in RFT and I would be happy camper. Current offerings are all rather loud.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 09:47 AM   #8
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

Jesus that red and black seat combo is bloody lovely - that's an option right? I wish I did - but I'd already gone over the limit with gadgetry :-/
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 09:53 AM   #9
skyblue2002
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
What tires do you have? It looks like you’re running the 20” wheels - only runflats availble from the factory with that wheel here in the states...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 10:00 AM   #10
snakehips
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblue2002 View Post
What tires do you have? It looks like you’re running the 20” wheels - only runflats availble from the factory with that wheel here in the states...
Here we have the option of 20" high performance non-RFTs. I didn't know what tyres would come with this option but it turns out they are P Zeros.
      10-25-2018, 10:11 AM   #11
snakehips
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post
Looks great, interior looks great as well, ride maybe a SUV thing you'll get used to?, I came from a E70 and the G01 rides much smoother than that did
Thanks! Just seems more jittery on imperfect roads. I am sure I will get used to it. In fact I think I recall that my F36 felt similar for the first few months then seemed to soften out somehow. Or maybe I imagined this and simply got used to it.
I am sensitive to ride quality as it was the one single thing that made me hesitate before going for the X40i.
      10-25-2018, 10:14 AM   #12
snakehips
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spangle1980 View Post
Jesus that red and black seat combo is bloody lovely - that's an option right? I wish I did - but I'd already gone over the limit with gadgetry :-/
Thanks, I love it too though my wife won't when she sees it. It was one of the two premium leather options and wasn't cheap so I made sure I had all the gadgets in place first before seeing if I could afford this too.
      10-25-2018, 10:40 AM   #13
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! Just seems more jittery on imperfect roads. I am sure I will get used to it. In fact I think I recall that my F36 felt similar for the first few months then seemed to soften out somehow. Or maybe I imagined this and simply got used to it.
I am sensitive to ride quality as it was the one single thing that made me hesitate before going for the X40i.
What suspension did you get? M sport one is stiff and jittery for sure but its a sport suspension
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 10:46 AM   #14
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post
Maybe if temp was low this morning tyres are cold?, they say summer tyres will be harder in low temps, plus if you didn't have XL tyres before they may feel harder?

I find it more than OK if certainly not perfect but I've come from the opposite direction to you, previous gen Bridgestone RFT's were rock hard but the P Zeros seem a lot better it probably more to do with better suspension set up, speed bumps here at 30 no problem

Remember the story tonight the ride is different not jittery
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 10:48 AM   #15
Barbyboy
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Wife mad, X3 M40i now arrived

I too have that combo of Sophisto Grey and Fiona Red interior on order - haven't seen it in the flesh either but the photos look lovely!
I'm now slightly worried that with 21" wheels the ride might seem even harsher than you mention... hopefully the adaptive suspension might help offset it a bit.
About 30 more sleeps until delivery.
The wait is getting harder!
      10-25-2018, 11:35 AM   #16
HampshireUK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbyboy View Post
I too have that combo of Sophisto Grey and Fiona Red interior on order - haven't seen it in the flesh either but the photos look lovely!
I'm now slightly worried that with 21" wheels the ride might seem even harsher than you mention... hopefully the adaptive suspension might help offset it a bit.
About 30 more sleeps until delivery.
The wait is getting harder!
Agreed I am keen to know more about th ride on 21” wheels in the UK before ordering.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 11:40 AM   #17
snakehips
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
What suspension did you get? M sport one is stiff and jittery for sure but its a sport suspension
I have adaptive M sport suspension and obviously I always knew it would be stiff so I am absolutely not complaining as I bought with eyes wide open. Just need to get used to it.
      10-25-2018, 11:43 AM   #18
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I have adaptive M sport suspension and obviously I always knew it would be stiff so I am absolutely not complaining as I bought with eyes wide open. Just need to get used to it.
I wish I tried the Dynamic suspension but there weren't any at the time. Also they just happened to get this one in with everything I wanted so I bought off the lot.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 11:44 AM   #19
HampshireUK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i (2019)

Car looks great

The 435d you came from was that a non Msport Plus version with 18” wheels or an Msport Plus version with 19” wheels and adaptive ?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 11:57 AM   #20
snakehips
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HampshireUK View Post
Car looks great

The 435d you came from was that a non Msport Plus version with 18” wheels or an Msport Plus version with 19” wheels and adaptive ?
It had 19” wheels and I guess M Sport suspension but not adaptive. Sorry that sounds vague but it was an ex-demo car on such a good deal that I didn’t pay much attention to exactly how all that was set up.

Edit: sorry I was talking rubbish. It DID have adaptive M Sport suspension! Just not a button to run in adaptive mode like the G01 has.
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2018, 01:02 PM   #21
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Here we have the option of 20" high performance non-RFTs. I didn't know what tyres would come with this option but it turns out they are P Zeros.
You’re lucky, others have come with Yokohama V105’s, not a terrible tyre but 5 years old now so not great either. I’m really hoping I get P Zero’s now! 🤞

You need to take the blue plastic off the sill plates btw
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 01:12 PM   #22
snakehips
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
You need to take the blue plastic off the sill plates btw
Lol, I actually only noticed that in the pic I posted! Gone now.