BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

07-06-2008, 08:26 PM   #1
M3Mikey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3 Fox Red Inter

Opinion: The risk of hardwiring my radar

Hey guys I need a knowledgeable opinion. I have read the post on hardwiring your V1 radar to your car and read up how to do it. I talked to the guy who will be installing my radar and he said that he would have to wire it to the battery and I would have to turn it on and off every time. He said that he doesn't want to risk wiring it straight to the computer or whatever you wire it to ( I forget ) because he said it could screw up the computer and void my warranty. I was reading the sticker in my upper window and it said do not install electronics and it listed a radar detector. Do you think that it is likely that installing it will void my warranty? Any advice on what to do or how to make sure this is done flawlessly?

Opinions please -

Thanks,
Michael
      07-06-2008, 08:42 PM   #2
ideliver
Major
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, E71 X6M, E46 M3

Garage List
2006 BMW E46 M3 'vert  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2011 BMW E92  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97545

Search over in the E90post in the electronics side...A LOT of information on this

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 11:31 PM   #3
MagicMtnDan
E92 wiithout iDrive (excellent)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe Silverstone/blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Mikey View Post
Hey guys I need a knowledgeable opinion. I have read the post on hardwiring your V1 radar to your car and read up how to do it. I talked to the guy who will be installing my radar and he said that he would have to wire it to the battery and I would have to turn it on and off every time. He said that he doesn't want to risk wiring it straight to the computer or whatever you wire it to ( I forget ) because he said it could screw up the computer and void my warranty. I was reading the sticker in my upper window and it said do not install electronics and it listed a radar detector. Do you think that it is likely that installing it will void my warranty? Any advice on what to do or how to make sure this is done flawlessly?

Opinions please -

Thanks,
Michael

Two suggestions for you:

1. Don't let that guy do any work on your car!

2. Do it yourself!

Follow the links to the answer to your questions.

2008 E92 M3 Silverstone II
2006 MB G500 Gelandewagen Irridium Silver
2006 MB SL500 Irridium Silver (wife's)
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 11:13 AM   #4
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

FYI -- I did my V1 install last night following those instructions.

For the most part, they are accurate for the M, but not entirely.

The M has quite a few wiring bundles going into the light assembly. However, the switched lead IS the Green with white stripe. This bundle is next to the two wire connector...you will see what I mean when you get the light assembly out.

Also, my M had NO bolts to ground to in that area. However, the light assembly gounds to a connector with a large BROWN wire...this connector houses ONLY a large brown wire, so it is easy to find. I used one of those crimp on wire splices. I could not get a soldered wire to securely affix into the harness (like the link recommends with the power lead). Being as the brown wire is so large, there was not enough room in there to get a soldered wire to fit well, so I just used a crimp connector.

For the rest of the instructions, there were spot on.

One funny thing (not really)... when I picked up my car (delivery), I noticed that the front light assembly kinda hung down a bit and seemed to be mounted very flimsy. Well, after taking out the light assembly to hardwire the V1, I found that the metal trim ring used to attached the assembly to the headliner was not installed correctly. I was about 40% attached. The rest was not even close. I thought that part of the car's assembly must have been at quitting time or something and the guy guy slammed it together. Needless to say, I properly mounted the metal ring and now the light assembly fits very securely!

Now if only I could find my old suction windshield mount I would be in business!
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 09:49 PM   #5
Nucking Futs!
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 M

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ideliver View Post
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97545

Search over in the E90post in the electronics side...A LOT of information on this
I used the same DIY but changed 2 things:

1) I used the included T-tap w/the V1 package &

2) Just like Tim said, there are no bolts (for an e92 w/a cf roof at least). I went to a hardware store & got a bolt (5/16" x 3/4") & it worked in one of the 2 inner-most holes.

'17 95B GTS
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 09:56 PM   #6
laicosmo
Finally Beauty & the Beast
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & R35

GT3 Tim

Do you think you can post pictures of the wires that you use for Power and Ground for the V1, I'm a Newbie at DIY, and with someone like you with expereince it will help me not to blow up my Car just becasue of installing a Radar Detector, Thanks a lot for you help.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 01:06 PM   #7
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Wire to the fusebox. If I need to take the car in for electrical service, I can completely remove the whole setup with absolutely no trace of work on the system. No nick in the wires, nothing drilled anywhere, no trace *whatsoever*. I had a sunroof wire on my E46 and that had a nicked wire plus the bundle was obviously unwrapped from stock. No soldering either.

The hardest part of the whole project is putting the A-pillar cover back on.

EDIT: Follow these instructions from the X50, works the same: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111583

EDIT #2: Another advantage of having the power in the fusebox is an easy wire setup for the concealed display.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 08:11 PM   #8
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by laicosmo View Post
GT3 Tim

Do you think you can post pictures of the wires that you use for Power and Ground for the V1, I'm a Newbie at DIY, and with someone like you with expereince it will help me not to blow up my Car just becasue of installing a Radar Detector, Thanks a lot for you help.
I took some pics but they looks like shit and you can't really tell much from them.

When you pull out the light assembly, you will see several connectors connected to it. On one of the outtermost connectors, it is a two wire one. The opposite side is a multi-wire connector. NEXT to the two-wire is a block with about 8-9 wires in it. This is the one that has the green wire with white stripe. THAT is the switched lead you need to tap into for power.

In about the middle of the assembly is a large brown wire, all by itself. This is the gorund wire for the assembly. Tap into that wire for your ground.

Simple as that. I could see no other green wire with white stripe in any of the connectors, so I don't think you can mess it up! If it does not work, try a test light and check you leads.
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 10:31 PM   #9
laicosmo
Finally Beauty & the Beast
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & R35

GT3 Tim