Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Changing tires but not sure what to do. Help!

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-05-2008, 11:03 PM   #1
RobVe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 X3

Changing tires but not sure what to do. Help!

I recently purchased a 335xi, which I love. However the car came with the 18" wheels (sport Package option) with the Summer-only runflats. Since I live in Colorado, I have to have all-seasons. ( I don't need snows cause I do have a Jeep for when we get dumped on). As you all know RFT all-seasons aren't available in this size so I have two options and don't know which way to go.
#1) Buy new 17" wheels and put all season tires on them. I'd probably use these wheels./tires year round and not ever put the 18" back on, until the lease is up.

#2) Change the tires on the current 18" wheels to a non-RF, (like the Goodyear Eagles) and get a mobility kit in case of a flat.

Any suggestions, based on first hand experience? Thanks a lot.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 01:06 AM   #2
nd54
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: RDSport RS 46

I don't understand, if you have a car to drive in the snow why do you need all season tires? All season tires are never the best option in any situation, you will compromise summer performance compared to your current tires and winter driving performance compared to snow tires. If you're not driving in snow just keep what you have now.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 01:13 AM   #3
RobVe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd54 View Post
I don't understand, if you have a car to drive in the snow why do you need all season tires? All season tires are never the best option in any situation, you will compromise summer performance compared to your current tires and winter driving performance compared to snow tires. If you're not driving in snow just keep what you have now.
There are just so many days when it's supposed to be a "dry day: and we wind up getting snow. The weather changes very quickly and unexpectedly here. I'd like to use this car as much as possible (even in the winter) and just don't wanna get caught with a surprise few inches of snow that strands me.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 04:23 AM   #4
nd54
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: RDSport RS 46

I'd keep the 18's on from April-October at least, you'll really enjoy the performance benefit/looks. I use 17" wheels with winter tires here and I hardly drive the car in the winter, you should get 17's with all seasons or "sporty" winter tires for the remaining months. I'd really recommend dedicated summer and winter tires/wheels, I really don't like all season tires.

Another alternative - http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...k/autosock.jsp

BTW congratulations, enjoy the new car!
Appreciate 0