X5 XDrive40i MSport most options Carbon Black 11 91.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

10-13-2018, 02:32 PM   #1
jbx5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 XDrive35i M-Sport

Question Dilemma: x4m40i or x5-40i-MSport

I had long ago ordered a fully loaded X4 M40i carbon black and never got a production number. No allocations. No commitments.

Then in July I ordered a G05 X5 40i with MSport and immediately got a production number. I am in assembly now according to the garage site.

Today my dealer called and said the X4 arrived and while I don’t have to take it he wants me to come see it Monday after it’s prepped.

I am a technology freak so I think the X5 is the right next move and I should sit tight but this would be my 7th X5 car...so I’m torn as to what to do.

The cost of both is roughly the same. The X4 is a lot more exclusive in that there’s severely limited production as compared to X5 but that in and of itself doesn’t motivate me.

What would you do?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 02:50 PM   #2
stgmobile
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 35i - Alpine White

Sounds like you should have ordered a X5 50i. I have a 2014 X5 35i and have found it to be a little sluggish so I think the 40i will not have enough power for you. I am going with the 50i this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbx5 View Post
I had long ago ordered a fully loaded X4 M40i carbon black and never got a production number. No allocations. No commitments.

Then in July I ordered a G05 X5 40i with MSport and immediately got a production number. I am in assembly now according to the garage site.

Today my dealer called and said the X4 arrived and while I don’t have to take it he wants me to come see it Monday after it’s prepped.

I am a technology freak so I think the X5 is the right next move and I should sit tight but this would be my 7th X5 car...so I’m torn as to what to do.

The cost of both is roughly the same. The X4 is a lot more exclusive in that there’s severely limited production as compared to X5 but that in and of itself doesn’t motivate me.

What would you do?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 03:15 PM   #3
ILM_X5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Quote:

What would you do?
Limited production or limited demand? Limited production implies that there is a production quota that artificially creates excess demand.

I certainly don't see many X4s around CLT. However, having a second residence in the GSP area, I can tell you that there are considerably more X4s than X5s. I posit the reason for such a difference has to do with considerably more favorable residuals for employees at the plant helping to boost the X4's sales numbers.

I don't see anything "exclusive" about an X4, just a less practical vehicle.
      10-13-2018, 06:47 PM   #4
jbx5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 XDrive35i M-Sport

My dealer says there are simply not enough manufacturing slots allocated to building them so as to make them feel more exclusive. But you are right when you say that they are not very practical and I think that’s the main reason I’m leaning towards the x5
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 02:42 AM   #5
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 911 992 C2S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgmobile View Post
Sounds like you should have ordered a X5 50i. I have a 2014 X5 35i and have found it to be a little sluggish so I think the 40i will not have enough power for you. I am going with the 50i this time.

Quote:

What would you do?
The 40i is like 5.3 0-60 and like a full second faster than f15 35i and faster than e92 335i which makes it more than fast enough for basically the whole world. The 50i is only like half a second faster.
Sold E90 335i M Sport Alpine White|Tokyo
Sold E36 328i Jet Black|NYC
Appreciate 0