BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-06-2018, 10:15 PM   #1
jpfior57
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport 2013 550xi

Aluminum Tetragon trim in US

Looking to place an order for an X5 40i with the MSport package and want the Tetragon trim. I see it is 4KK on the US ordering guide that was posted here a while back, but don't see it on the on-line configurator. Has anyone been able to order the Aluminum Tetragon on an MSport X5 in the US? thanks,
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 10:57 PM   #2
CBx540i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11BoxsterSpyder

You can. Just ask your CA. I did, then switched to piano black.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 09:16 AM   #3
Cougarcruiser
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Looking for an x5

I have tetragon on my week 44 build. Your CA can get it.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 01:13 PM   #4
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

If I build a G05 order, I'll be going with the tetragon. I like a sporty metal accent look to my all-black interior I always get.
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2018, 01:25 PM   #5
mbhammer
Hammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Mercedes Benz E63 AMG

Aluminum Trim

I took the aluminum trim options off my table the moment my CA walked me over to an X5 that had just come off lease to show me what had happened to the aluminum trim. It was scarred with irreparable scratches; replacement is the only fix.

FWIW, I'm pairing my black interior with 4KT Anthracite-Brown Poplar Matte Finish Wood Trim. It's featured in this Autogefuhl review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=rTZsiq2nWxA
      10-08-2018, 03:03 PM   #6
Influence
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2016 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhammer View Post
I took the aluminum trim options off my table the moment my CA walked me over to an X5 that had just come off lease to show me what had happened to the aluminum trim. It was scarred with irreparable scratches; replacement is the only fix.

FWIW, I'm pairing my black interior with 4KT Anthracite-Brown Poplar Matte Finish Wood Trim. It's featured in this Autogefuhl review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=rTZsiq2nWxA
While it is true that the aluminum trim can be scratched, it really all depends on how well you take care of your stuff. I had the brushed aluminum on my 2008 335i and in 9 years I didn't put a single scratch on any of the trim pieces, except for the one mark on the driver's door panel trim that was made by my CA with his humongous watch the day I picked up my car. GRRRRR. . . .

Our 2013 X3 had the brushed aluminum and in 3 years we didn't put a single scratch in it either.

My '16 X5 has the aluminum hexagon trim and my wife did manage to put a few scratches in it because she was dragging her purses (that had metal feet on them) across the center console panel. She is no longer allowed to drag her purse across the center console

My '17 340i has brushed aluminum (are you sensing a trend here) and I'll see if I can make it 3 years on this one without a single scratch as well.

The plain brushed aluminum does seem to be a bit more scratch resistant than the textured aluminums like the hexagon/tetragons/etc

Bottom line, if you are someone who is careful, you shouldn't have to worry about scratches.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 04:18 PM   #7
mbhammer
Hammer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINISI View Post
Hard to tell from the video but is that trim more gray than brown?
At various points in the video, the brown-ness of 4KT becomes a little more apparent. Seems highly dependent on the lighting, lens opening. Perhaps the matte/open-pore finish also masks its true color in the videos. It is clearly not like the high-gloss grey poplar.

"Anthracite" is a black-ish color.

Never having seen 4KT in the flesh, I'm hoping in real life that it is a black/true-brown color that will pair well with my black leather interior and dash. As I contributed previously, I'm striving to hit an "authentic and sophisticated" vibe with this combo.

My exterior is Mineral White.
      10-09-2018, 05:06 PM   #8
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Influence View Post
While it is true that the aluminum trim can be scratched, it really all depends on how well you take care of your stuff. I had the brushed aluminum on my 2008 335i and in 9 years I didn't put a single scratch on any of the trim pieces, except for the one mark on the driver's door panel trim that was made by my CA with his humongous watch the day I picked up my car. GRRRRR. . . .

Our 2013 X3 had the brushed aluminum and in 3 years we didn't put a single scratch in it either.

My '16 X5 has the aluminum hexagon trim and my wife did manage to put a few scratches in it because she was dragging her purses (that had metal feet on them) across the center console panel. She is no longer allowed to drag her purse across the center console

My '17 340i has brushed aluminum (are you sensing a trend here) and I'll see if I can make it 3 years on this one without a single scratch as well.

The plain brushed aluminum does seem to be a bit more scratch resistant than the textured aluminums like the hexagon/tetragons/etc

Bottom line, if you are someone who is careful, you shouldn't have to worry about scratches.
+1 on all of this. Never had a scratch put in any of my aluminum trims, but I don't bang things around my car interior. My wife, on the other hand... no chance I would put aluminum in one of her interiors.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 08:37 PM   #9
mbhammer
Hammer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I fail to see what relevance damage to other aluminum trims have to do with this specific trim. Design, manufacturing process, and other metals that may be combined with the aluminum will affect how each react.
Aluminum is a soft metal, regardless of how it is finished.

Net of all the comments seems to be: if you like that look and if you are willing to be careful with it, it's a terrific option. But if you're not the careful/mindful type, perhaps you should be prepared for damage.

Just trying to spare unsuspecting buyers of possible disappointment. No different than those who've owned piano black know.
      10-09-2018, 08:58 PM   #10
NOVA99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M-B GLS 580

Hi-Jacking to not start another thread - has anyone seen or have good pics of the "Individual Fine-wood Trim Ash Grain Silver Grey High-gloss?" Thx
Appreciate 1
salfeet84308.00
      10-10-2018, 08:17 AM   #11
Influence
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2016 X5 35i

Quote:
I fail to see what relevance damage to other aluminum trims have to do with this specific trim. Design, manufacturing process, and other metals that may be combined with the aluminum will affect how each react.
The relevance is historical precedent. Those of us who have owned these trims are giving you evidence of our experience with said materials. In some cases (like mine) we have had numerous experiences with the durability of said material. Yes, it is possible that this new one is some awesome amalgam/alloy of titanium/ceramic/aluminum/unobtainium/adamantium that is nearly impossible to scratch, but actual experience leads us to believe otherwise. Plus BMW would most likely be marketing the heck out of "unscratchable aluminum tetragon trim" if it were the case. We are presenting experience-based opinions, which wise people listen to instead of immediately trying to discount.
Appreciate 1
akhter418.50
      11-28-2018, 06:10 AM   #12
salfeet84
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA99 View Post
Hi-Jacking to not start another thread - has anyone seen or have good pics of the "Individual Fine-wood Trim Ash Grain Silver Grey High-gloss?" Thx
Have u found any pics of this trim yet? Can't find any!
Appreciate 0