BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-02-2008, 10:27 PM   #1
jaihind
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 and 2008 BMW M5

M3 compared to C63 AMG

I am picking up my m3 in about a weeks time eta NY 7/7.

3 days to dealership.

Anyways....I was with my dad who is looking into either Mercedes SL 550 or S 65.

I just happened to bring up the burning question to the dealer....which vehicle do you consider faster, in every definition of the word.

He laughed, and started bringing up all the numbers of how the C63 is @451 hp compared to 414, and the C63 has more torque......etc.....

I then simply asked him why just about every US and German magazine publication ranked the M3 over the C63, and why on every road track the M3 creamed the c63.

I know this may be a stupid question to ask on an m3 website.....but please give honest answers in accordance to your opinions.

So....what do you think???
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 10:39 PM   #2
12:03
full collapse on impact
Rep
Drives: BMW

here you go

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 10:39 PM   #3
RealSanaii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008

Once the M3 is equipped with M-DCT, C63 AMG doesn't shine anymore, straight line performance. M3 w/ M-DCT was very close in terms of C63 AMG in quatermiles. Even with 37 more HP and around more 150lb-ft torque!!!

I too went to the MB dealership to see C63 AMG but it was already sold and taken away. The sales person was really blind by saying C63AMG will smoke the M3. M3 has no chance..blah blah blah. But the truth of the matter is that with M-DCT, C63AMG can't really run away in straight lines either. Add some twisties and M3 will outshine in everyway.

I love how the C63 AMG facsia looks but hate the rest. I heard C63AMG exhaust note on the road and it was just so loud and screaming for attention!! I loved it but I love my M3 more. M3 can be a luxurious GT when you want it to be or a true track car. Best of the both worlds. C63AMG tries too hard and kind of 'failed' since M3 is more comfortable for daily driving ( C63AMG has a harsher ride that can't be changed) as well as outperforming around the track.
      07-02-2008, 10:43 PM   #4
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

I think if you're buying one or the other to make your dick bigger, you're fighting a losing battle.

M3 is good for you.

SL550 or S65 is good for your Daddy.

07-02-2008, 10:45 PM   #5
jaihind
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 and 2008 BMW M5

What is that supposed to mean???I see you drive a C63 do you have an opinion?? My d**k is big enough without any help..thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 10:57 PM   #6
12:03
full collapse on impact
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12:03 View Post
here you go

I agree with this post...
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 11:04 PM   #7
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaihind View Post
What is that supposed to mean???I see you drive a C63 do you have an opinion?? My d**k is big enough without any help..thanks

We've seen this post before. check the M3 vs section.

This is an M3 board, what do you expect to people to say, why did you ask the question.... Oh yeah... WHY AM I HERE?? To tell you how great the C63 is but it's not faster than an M3 IMO, especially with M-DCT.

But if you want to go really fast..... there's the old saying
Q:"How fast do you want to go?" A:"How much do you want to spend?"
      07-02-2008, 11:07 PM   #8
Socale92
DCT Test Pilot
Rep
Drives: ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck View Post

M3 is good for you.

SL550 or S65 is good for your Daddy.

+100000000

my mom owns a merc, hence I will never own one.

Quote:
My d**k is big enough without any help..thanks
thanks for sharing bud.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 11:13 PM   #9
ajmbmwweb
Rep
Drives: e46 m3

the real reason why m3 wins magazine tests is context. in the context the m3 is driven in during the average magazine test, that is, race tracks and perfect mountain roads, or some Spanish resort as is the case in the top gear vid, the m3 shines.
the m3 is a great balanced car to drive, and it is more fun to drive in ideal conditions. but the c63 is better looking outside (subjective), better inside (less subjective), has better seats, much nicer sounding exhaust, and just generally has a greater sense of "occasion". and, talking about which car is faster on the track is only so important. on the road, and i suspect this will remain true even with the dct transmission, the c63 is the faster car. forget drag racing and other pointless stuff, the c63 is just brutally quick in everyday situations. and, in some markets (canada), its a lot cheaper.
i have driven both the c63 and the m3 manual. i will be driving the m3 dct next week, and the c63 with performance package when it arrives at the dealership, and will make a final decision on what to buy after that point. i really like bmw products, especially the m3, and i especially dislike mercedes, as i find their products to be boring and overpriced.
in this case, however, the merc has a lot to offer. dont underestimate it.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 11:34 PM   #10
milk242
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

I read that the m3 w/ dct and the c63 have similar trap speeds. I also read that in a straight line, c63 will start pulling away from the m3 at around 100mph and that the 0-60, the m3 actually wins (I can sort of believe this since the c63 is heavier and harder to put traction down).
20 Tesla Model 3
23 Audi R8 (on order, never came )
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 12:06 AM   #11
sfbimmer13
Original Bavarian Heritage
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT

I love these posts and really wonder why anybody would care what the faster car is??

IMO it should be really about which car you personally like better despite a tenth of a second here or there - Why would you care what anybody else is saying/writing about a car??.

Obviously for me it was the M3 a purpose built sports car with some real motor-sports DNA and not your average chick car with a big shouting exhaust and granted an awesome engine...I guess that the C63 is the perfect car if you are into the muscle car stuff, which IMO really is what it is. I bet the new Camaro that is supposed to come out in 2009/2010 is going to smoke both the C63 and M3 in straight line performance. Does the mean I would want to have one? Certainly not - there is more to a car than just performance numbers...

I also have to admit that I am really biased, since I was born and grew up in Munich and any real Bavarian would never buy a Merc
      07-03-2008, 12:29 AM   #12
hakaida442
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 Porsche 911 Carrera GTS

Quote:
I am picking up my m3 in about a weeks time eta NY 7/7.

3 days to dealership.

Anyways....I was with my dad who is looking into either Mercedes SL 550 or S 65.

I just happened to bring up the burning question to the dealer....which vehicle do you consider faster, in every definition of the word.

He laughed, and started bringing up all the numbers of how the C63 is @451 hp compared to 414, and the C63 has more torque......etc.....

I then simply asked him why just about every US and German magazine publication ranked the M3 over the C63, and why on every road track the M3 creamed the c63.

I know this may be a stupid question to ask on an m3 website.....but please give honest answers in accordance to your opinions.

So....what do you think???
The 6.3 engine already has quite a bit of mods out for it. You won't stand a chance against one in a straight line. Both are nice cars and it really depends on what you're looking for in a car.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 09:56 AM   #13
icemang17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT

Yes the C63 has more power......& should win a drag race......where the M3 far outshines the C63 is "feel"...... a true drivers car...vs an "Axe murderer" in the C63...

The C63 also does not have adjustable shocks like the M3...so in order to make in "perform" like an AMG they had to put heavy springs in it....which makes the ride harsher too...
1989 Porsche 928S4 track beast!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 02:18 PM   #14
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
The C63 has more power than it can use efficiently.
      07-03-2008, 02:25 PM   #15
xsilvor
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5

Simple rule.

Never ask a Mercedes dealer about a BMW. Never ask a BMW dealer about a Mercedes. They're bigger fanbois (because they're paid to be) than the people who troll the forums.

Never ask either of them about Lexus. They'll laugh at you.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 02:45 PM   #16
aggie57
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2.0d X3, 2009 997 Carrera S

I've driven both back to back over the same (public) road. The C63 is quick, sounds amazing and over here is cheaper. Before DCT it's also easier to drive. But it rides like a 1935 Bedford truck, uses more fuel and is always a hotrod.

The M3 is sublime. Not quite so fast (at least as a manual) but give it some throttle and it shines. Plus it rides decently and when you're stuck in traffic (this is the real world remember) it becomes a comfortable, relaxed place to be. Oh - I drive a Merc and have done so for 5 years. That goes when the M3 arrives.

But don't listen to me. Unfortunately it's does not seem to be available online but Top Gear have just released their first Australian edition of their magazine in which they take several cars, including a C63, an M3 MT and an HSV GTS (Pontiac G8 with 312Kw) from Melbourne to Sydney via the back roads. Real world.

What do they say about the M3? "In a best car comparison, the BMW wins. It's still giving on the performance and handling front when the others have given" and "put $157,000 down on the M3 and you'll be buying a high-luxury coupe that will also demolish the sports credentials of anything in it's way".

Of the C63: "Brilliant, but it got rattled in the rough where the steering sometimes wanted to argue and the front end copped a lot of hard, unsettling hits" and "For half the drive I vacililated between wanting to keep the C63 or the M3 - eventually the Merc lost out. How could it? It's mighty 336kW V8 sounds like a Thunnder God with a sore throat........but it rides like a shopping basket on cobblestones...."

Last edited by aggie57; 07-03-2008 at 05:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 06:23 PM   #17
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep

(now that we are in the right section)

I love my C63. It is blazingly fast and handles extremely well, better than most every sedan on the road, short of an EVO or M3.

Quote the numbers and lap times from the car rags all you want, but the majority of people who buy either of these cars have no idea how to take either car to its limits and balance it there. And getting a perfect launch is largely up to chance as well, unless you are a regular at the dragstrip and know what you're doing.

So forget the bench racing and buy the one you want. Which one performs best in any given circumstance is going to be up to the person behind the wheel.

Case in point: 97% of the BMWs, Porsches and AMGs I see going around a freeway onramp are pushing the car to about 25% of what it's capable of. I could overtake most of these people if I were driving a Civic with Firestones, if I felt like it.

Statistics courtesy Hans Delbruck, Inc.
      07-03-2008, 06:30 PM   #18
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Hans,

Correct, it's all well and good to have the knowledge that in the right hands your car is capable of lapping the ring in 8:05 but the reality is that less than 0.01% of the world's population would be capable of achieving a similar or better time than that.

Figures are there for those who need that added security in thinking they made the right choice.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2008, 03:22 AM   #19
luckistryke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Very very fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Figures are there for those who need that added security in thinking they made the right choice.

07-04-2008, 01:25 PM   #20
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck View Post
(now that we are in the right section)

I love my C63. It is blazingly fast and handles extremely well, better than most every sedan on the road, short of an EVO or M3.
Hans, I take it you are well past the "break-in" period now. How does the car feel now that you can let her rip?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2008, 04:29 PM   #21
jm1234
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Jet Black/Tan/SA 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmbmwweb View Post
but the c63 is better looking outside (subjective), better inside (less subjective), has better seats, much nicer sounding exhaust, and just generally has a greater sense of "occasion". and
One sound clip of the C63 was enough to convince me I didn't want anything to do with the car. Too loud and constantly "there". How can this not be subjective?

I think the inside has too many buttons and pop up nav screens are tacky. Especially a screen that doesn't have any shielding from sunlight through the sunroof (does the C63 even have a sunroof?). Can you really say the inside of the C63 is unequivocally "better" than an M3? Not in my opinion.

The seats have been described as "too firm" by more than one review.

I think that exhaust sound, seats and inside are all subjective. Unless you are talking performance numbers then everything else is subjective. I'm not saying that the M3 is the better car but if they both had the exact same performance numbers I'd still pick the M3 specifically because of the characteristics you list as "better" in the C63. I wouldn't describe the decision as objective in any way.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2008, 04:45 PM   #22
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1234 View Post
One sound clip of the C63 was enough to convince me I didn't want anything to do with the car. Too loud and constantly "there". How can this not be subjective?

I think the inside has too many buttons and pop up nav screens are tacky. Especially a screen that doesn't have any shielding from sunlight through the sunroof (does the C63 even have a sunroof?). Can you really say the inside of the C63 is unequivocally "better" than an M3? Not in my opinion.

The seats have been described as "too firm" by more than one review.

I think that exhaust sound, seats and inside are all subjective. Unless you are talking performance numbers then everything else is subjective. I'm not saying that the M3 is the better car but if they both had the exact same performance numbers I'd still pick the M3 specifically because of the characteristics you list as "better" in the C63. I wouldn't describe the decision as objective in any way.
So you heard a sound clip of the car, but have you actually started one up yourself?

It is difficult to compare the details of each car unless you have actually been inside them both. This is especially the case if you have experienced one car in the flesh, and not the other...this makes for somewhat of a skewed assessment.
Appreciate 0