BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    Squealing Steel Brakes

09-22-2018, 05:54 PM   #1
Scotchtion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Vert, 2021 X5 M50i

Squealing Steel Brakes

Anyone else have this issue? I've had many M cars with the steel brakes and never had them squeal like this at a stop. If I smash the brakes hard, I can sometimes get it to stop, but it is really bad in stop/go traffic.

I am not in a place I can take it to the dealer for the next couple months. Any tricks people have done in the past to help it? Was thinking about spraying water on the calipers, maybe there is something stuck in one of the pads.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 07:40 PM   #2
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

My X5M has squealed like a banshee since new. Only temporary fix is a wash. It's brake dust accumulation. My F90 has been silent so far......
Appreciate 1
bmr760139.00
      09-22-2018, 08:00 PM   #3
Ragazzi-07
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

I have squealing on an off.

It's so embarrassing driving $120k+ car an it sounds like it's a hooptie with bad brakes
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 08:04 PM   #4
SnowWhiteM5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 F90

Garage List
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
I have the same issue. I took it in for the break in service today and they supposedly fixed it but right after I left the dealer I heard it again lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 08:14 PM   #5
desertfox73
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 / 2018 F85

Likely the same issue that plagued the F10 - many threads about it. The only way I could resolve it was to hammer the brakes from decent speed, usually coming off the freeway. That seemed to address the issue for a while but it always came back.

I agree, this should not happen on a $110k+ car.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 08:34 PM   #6
freezey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

F80's have the same exact issue. They say they address it but they don't do anything and it continues.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 10:17 PM   #7
F90BSM5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

I have the same issue guys. It was smooth for the first couple of days then it started doing it.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 10:36 PM   #8
Oswiff
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 m5 comp

Mine squeak fairly consistently. The only thing that works is giving the wheels a thorough wash but it will come back - at least mine do.
I was told if you stomp on the brakes it helps but I haven't found that to be true. All it does is give me a headache and I don't know too many public places where you can get up to a relatively high speed and stomp on the brakes.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 10:52 PM   #9
ACF90M5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

i have carbon ceramics but for brakes isn't the general rule of thumb you can only get 2 out of 3 features (no noise, no dust, performance)? Mine really only squeal after taking it thru a wash and the performance falls off quite a bit, but so for with just over 2000 miles I haven't any noise at all. If the noise is really bad you could get in the habit of downshifting while braking to help reduce speed.

In comparison to the M5 my dad's E63s hasn't made any noise with normal rotors but the brake dust is absurd.
      09-23-2018, 12:02 AM   #10
neohh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

I have the same issue. If I burnish the brake it is good for a few days and it comes back. Quite annoying.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 09:36 AM   #11
shellbmb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACF90M5 View Post
i have carbon ceramics but for brakes isn't the general rule of thumb you can only get 2 out of 3 features (no noise, no dust, performance)? Mine really only squeal after taking it thru a wash and the performance falls off quite a bit, but so for with just over 2000 miles I haven't any noise at all. If the noise is really bad you could get in the habit of downshifting while braking to help reduce speed.

In comparison to the M5 my dad's E63s hasn't made any noise with normal rotors but the brake dust is absurd.
Ugghh. I was really hoping BMW would have done something about this. My F10 squealed like a freight train. And here I am considering an F90.

I've had a few AMG's and one 911 and not a peep out of the brakes. Not sure why BMW can't figure it out. And why do some have zero squeal and others all the time?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 09:43 AM   #12
scotty91ss
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 19 M5, '15 X5M,'91Chev454ss

I finally bought a BMW with CC brakes and don't regret it at all. I don't have to wash my wheels every 10 days now, even if the car is clean. No noise. It really is too bad BMW steel brakes squeal so much. Onfire X5 is correct, the X5M was awful for squealing. I hated driving it to work in rush hour. Traded in for my M5 and now a peaceful drive in traffic
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 09:44 AM   #13
JIB
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellbmb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACF90M5 View Post

Ugghh. I was really hoping BMW would have done something about this. My F10 squealed like a freight train. And here I am considering an F90.

I've had a few AMG's and one 911 and not a peep out of the brakes. Not sure why BMW can't figure it out. And why do some have zero squeal and others all the time?
I now have the same issue , it's beyond embarrassing... I had this issue with my M6 and after 2 trips to service the remedied it with shaving the break down or something
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 10:10 AM   #14
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

Porsche did a nice video explaining about Brake squeal

09-23-2018, 10:41 AM   #15
Quickburn7
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Bmw M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotchtion View Post
Anyone else have this issue? I've had many M cars with the steel brakes and never had them squeal like this at a stop. If I smash the brakes hard, I can sometimes get it to stop, but it is really bad in stop/go traffic.

I am not in a place I can take it to the dealer for the next couple months. Any tricks people have done in the past to help it? Was thinking about spraying water on the calipers, maybe there is something stuck in one of the pads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotchtion View Post

I have this issue and it's pretty annoying to have the car squealing and grinding in stop and go traffic. I brought the car in with 2000 miles and they tried the following:
- burnished the brake pads. Didn't work
- used anti squeal lube. Didn't work
- changes the 4 brake pads and rotors. Didn't work

After the brake swap I got frustrated and had Bmw usa involved and after they sent a regional tech out they concluded that they are performance brakes and that's how they act and will not do any other repairs.

Very disappointing as I wanted the steels to avoid squeaking brakes in the first place.

Anyways it's a bullshit answer since I have a lot of performance cars on ceramics or steel brakes and never have this issue but other than getting attorneys they won't fix it.
Some people on here have had zero issues with their brakes and some have had the same issues as I have had.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 11:17 AM   #16
shellbmb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickburn7 View Post
I have this issue and it's pretty annoying to have the car squealing and grinding in stop and go traffic. I brought the car in with 2000 miles and they tried the following:

After the brake swap I got frustrated and had Bmw usa involved and after they sent a regional tech out they concluded that they are performance brakes and that's how they act and will not do any other repairs.

Very disappointing as I wanted the steels to avoid squeaking brakes in the first place.

Anyways it's a bullshit answer since I have a lot of performance cars on ceramics or steel brakes and never have this issue but other than getting attorneys they won't fix it.
Some people on here have had zero issues with their brakes and some have had the same issues as I have had.

My point exactly. I think Quickburn7 is the most qualified here to attest to how other performance cars can be whisper quiet. So I don't buy the bullsh*t answer of they are performance brakes thus they are supposed to squeal.

But at this point it's just buyer beware as they can't fix it.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 11:44 AM   #17
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
My point exactly. I think Quickburn7 is the most qualified here to attest to how other performance cars can be whisper quiet. So I don't buy the bullsh*t answer of they are performance brakes thus they are supposed to squeal.

While a lot of performance cars don't squeal, at the same time, a lot of them also do.

For whatever reason (whether it's break in, tolerance issues or whatnot) some squeal and some don't. My CCBs don't squeal (and neither does my steel on X5M or M6 when I had it) but a lot of them do, it is obvious its a hit or miss, and it's a problem that plagued both steel and CCB.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 11:47 AM   #18
Quickburn7
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Bmw M5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickburn7 View Post

Exactly. If constant squeaking and a grinding feel from the brakes in stop and go traffic bothers you I would highly recommend the ceramic brakes.
I was one of the first to receive the F90 so couldn't do my homework and assumed the ceramics would be the noisier option from bmw. I never thought of checking the F10 boards.

We are stuck with the noise until aftermarket brake pads start coming out and who knows if that will fix the problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 02:16 PM   #19
visualguy
Captain
Rep

Mine haven't been squeaking so far, but I dislike how they are so rust-prone.

Squeaking brakes are a common problem on other cars as well. For example, the Lexus LC 500.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 09:11 PM   #20
kdeleon
Second Lieutenant
Rep

This is another reason why after market brake pads can't come soon enough. Between the brake dust and the squeak, suddenly the price for CCB doesn't seem too bad. But it is too late for me. This is the one time that having a super quiet cabin is an advantage. I had my window open one time and boy was the squeaking loud.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 10:29 PM   #21
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeleon View Post
This is another reason why after market brake pads can't come soon enough. Between the brake dust and the squeak, suddenly the price for CCB doesn't seem too bad. But it is too late for me. This is the one time that having a super quiet cabin is an advantage. I had my window open one time and boy was the squeaking loud.
CCBs are prone to squeal, that's why Quickburn went for the steel instead of the CCBs.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 10:50 PM   #22
Defib
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeleon View Post
CCBs are prone to squeal, that's why Quickburn went for the steel instead of the CCBs.
I thought that was the case and was hesitant about getting ceramic brakes. I'm so glad I did! The CCB on my F90 are silent and the pedal modulation feels perfect with no fade or dust. My previous X5M was a great car but the squeal was unbearable. That was one of the main reasons why I moved over to the M5.
Appreciate 0