BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery    M5 Base Production Delays???

09-19-2018, 08:54 PM   #1
mkem5
Rep
Drives: 2024 i5 M50; 2021 X5 45e

M5 Base Production Delays???

I ordered a 2019 M5 Base from a local dealer here in WI in early August. Was told it was an allocation for a September build/October delivery. A month goes by without a word from them (they were supposed to reach out to confirm right before it goes into production) so I called the BMW Genius phone number that people recommend on the order tracking threads to see where the car was. Much to my surprise, they told me my car was actually a week 42 build (Oct 15) and would likely be rolling in locally in December. While that may not seem like a big deal to some, in Wisconsin that is the different between having 3-4 weeks of great late fall weather for driving and having to slap snow tires on it Day 1.

Anyway, I asked the dealer what was going on and their explanation was that BMW had pushed all September Base M5 builds to week 42 or later so that they could build more Competitions. I was just curious if anyone else had heard that / been told that. Sounds fishy to me, and needless to say I’m fairly dissapointed.

Thanks all
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 10:51 PM   #2
Neptune7
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkem5 View Post
I ordered a 2019 M5 Base from a local dealer here in WI in early August. Was told it was an allocation for a September build/October delivery. A month goes by without a word from them (they were supposed to reach out to confirm right before it goes into production) so I called the BMW Genius phone number that people recommend on the order tracking threads to see where the car was. Much to my surprise, they told me my car was actually a week 42 build (Oct 15) and would likely be rolling in locally in December. While that may not seem like a big deal to some, in Wisconsin that is the different between having 3-4 weeks of great late fall weather for driving and having to slap snow tires on it Day 1.

Anyway, I asked the dealer what was going on and their explanation was that BMW had pushed all September Base M5 builds to week 42 or later so that they could build more Competitions. I was just curious if anyone else had heard that / been told that. Sounds fishy to me, and needless to say I’m fairly dissapointed.

Thanks all
One thing I know from reading these forums and my order is that week 40-42 is when the individuals start getting in the production queue for the M5 competition.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 09:25 AM   #3
nabil
M5 F90 '19
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90 Azurite black 2019

Garage List
2019 AMG GT 53  [0.00]
2019 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkem5 View Post

Thanks all
I just called BMW Genius regarding my m5 which is a week 43 build (allocation date 06/18/18). Expected in December as well. He didnt know about any push backs and said it was a week 43 build from the beginning. Its an azurite black so Im already nervous about delays since ive been told individual colors could cause that. Ill be sure to keep checking.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 10:00 PM   #4
BB TX
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

I ordered a 2019 M5 base, individual color (Ruby Red Metallic) around end of July with an allocation for week 38 build. Week 38 was last week (ending 9/22) and the car was built on schedule, no push back in the calendar.
Good luck,
B B
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 10:55 PM   #5
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

I don't like the name 2019 M5 Base. There's nothing else they could come up with?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 09:08 PM   #6
mkem5
Rep
Drives: 2024 i5 M50; 2021 X5 45e

Thanks all. Sounds like my dealer took some liberty with the truth.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 07:42 AM   #7
Gassy
Soporificist
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5- Rhodonite/Aragon

I had the exact opposite problem. My original build date was supposed to be week 45, ordered in early July. Last week I called to check on it, and it had rolled past the red date 2 weeks ago, the date after which no changes could be made to the build. That pissed the hell out of me as I had decided to make 2 changes, which is why I called the dealer with plenty of advance time, according to the original build date given me. I got played. If he had been checking on my build he'd have seen that notice, because apparently the dealer receives notifications of upcoming red dates.