THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing winter oil change - before or after last track weekend?

09-17-2018, 08:57 PM   #1
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

winter oil change - before or after last track weekend?

I'm due for an oil change (~6K miles), and plan on doing one before winter. (Usually aim for spring and fall oil changes in all my vehicles.) I also have a track weekend planned in a few weeks. (BIR Donnybrooke course.)

I'm torn on whether to do the oil change before the track weekend, and have fresh oil for the high-rev outing. OR, do the change after the weekend, so I have the freshest oil going into the long, cold, lots of short trips winter season.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 09:07 PM   #2
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggggbmw View Post
I'm due for an oil change (~6K miles), and plan on doing one before winter. (Usually aim for spring and fall oil changes in all my vehicles.) I also have a track weekend planned in a few weeks. (BIR Donnybrooke course.)

I'm torn on whether to do the oil change before the track weekend, and have fresh oil for the high-rev outing. OR, do the change after the weekend, so I have the freshest oil going into the long, cold, lots of short trips winter season.

Thoughts?
Is the car telling you it will soon be time for the oil to be changed, or are you anticipating that happening shortly?

If it were me, and I thought the oil needed changing before the event, I'd change it before the event. I'd change it again after the event because of the winter driving circumstances you describe.

I'm doing three events this year, on 8-18, 9-21, and 10-5. I changed the oil before the first event, and I'll change it again after the last one. The car will have ~1,000 highway miles put on it between 8-18 and 10-5, and only a few urban miles.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 10:42 PM   #3
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

After

I ran into the shop foreman from the local BMW dealer at a BMW event this weekend. He tracks a very sweet E36, and will be instructing at the track event I'm going to.

He advised doing the winter oil change AFTER the track event. His thinking is that a track event, with the high-revs, has a lot of blow by that will load the oil with unburned hydro-carbons. Exactly the kind of stuff you want dumped before the cold, lots of short trips, winter season.

I think I will follow his advice.
Appreciate 0